PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Hello,
I'm new to all of this and decided to go with a starter kit as seen in the link below
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/40098/pipa-pipe-kit/
I went with the Cherry tobacco. Now I'm starting to realize that the term you get what you pay for might really be true! I know that just starting I'm not getting the best pack, flavor, etc. but I feel like I'm getting the same taste if I go out back and get a pinch of charcoal ash from my grill and suck on that. I will say that the smell of the pipe is quite pleasant, but it isn't at all in the smoke I'm getting. I'm not discouraged or anything, I just wonder is this a lesson in not going the cheap/quick route. Should I just go to a shop and have someone help me out with a beginner set/different types to try and figure out what I like? I know everyone has an opinion on going cob or no cob pipe right out the gate, but possibly a 1.5 oz pouch and pipe for $5 was possibly a sign of things to come. I guess I'm just not sure if this is a keep at with what I have and just get over the initial hump of difficulties or stop before I get frustrated on what I initially bought and give up on pipes? Obviously I don't want that to happen, but don't know what route to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Kyle

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The interior of the cob will burn a bit until the surface gets carbonized. That would account for the ashy taste. It takes a few bowls to get it broken in. Hopefully your tobacco will start to taste better soon.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
There shouldn't be anything wrong with a Missouri Meerschaum cob, assuming that is what you received and not a Made-in-China cob. I have not tried the tobacco you purchased, but it does not look like the kind of thing I would want in my pipe. That said, a lot of us would recommend staying away from all aromatics like this until you have the practice of pipe smoking down pat. If you have a local tobacconist, I would pay them visit and ask for some guidance on selecting tobacco, packing your bowl, and smoking technique. There is also a ton of good information on this forum. A couple hours spent looking around here may get you started on the right foot.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Don't give up just yet. Nothing wrong with MM cobs. Trust me it's the tobacco and been there done that. I have to say that starter kit in my opinion stops more beginning pipe smokers dead in their tracks. A quality beginning tobacco is a must. Please visit a tobacconist if possible and pick up a few samples to try, it really makes a big, big difference.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Cobs are very durable and will last a long time if treated well. That being said if you have access to a B&M go there and speak to them about blends. I think every new piper starts with a cherry blend ( I know I did) and they tend to smell better in the bag than the pipe. Patience is the key and exploration of blends is where the fun is.

Take your time and have fun with the hobby.

Welcome aboard and let's hear from you often on your progress.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Well thanks for the quick responses! I think I was initially timid to go to a B&M in fear of kinda looking like an idiot. But I think I'll need to just go in and talk to someone and just tell them I don't know what I want or where to start. Thanks again for the help and I'll keep updating on what I'm trying and feeling.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
"Timid," don't be, that is what the tobacconist is there for. This forum is a great resource and NO question is a dumb one. If you can't locate the answer to a question, please ask and one last thing, "SMOKE SLOWLY."

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Well thanks for the quick responses! I think I was initially timid to go to a B&M in fear of kinda looking like an idiot.
The idiots are the ones who DON'T ask questions and remain that way. :wink:
Ya can't go wrong with a MM cob, but I'd opt for a different tobacco.

Mar 1, 2014
I have my opinions of retail stores, but that probably doesn't apply unless you're in Canada.
You will eventually want to try almost everything, don't let one blend form your opinion. I've liked a lot of stuff others hate and hated a lot of stuff others like. Your journey will be somewhat unique regardless.
I have a few cobs now and love them. I only get big ones though, so I can't say what a smaller cob is like. I haven't specifically noticed an "ash" flavour from my cob, but I also pack tobacco with an air pocket so the embers never hit the wooden shank (another benefit of the MacArthur).

I also lined my cobs with honey, and can't say it's been detrimental.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cobs are great! Smoke them quite regularly. If you absolutely have to have a cherry tobacco though, I would try Samuel Gawith Celtic Talisman, or Gawith Hoggart & Company Top Black Cherry. Let them dry for a bit and enjoy!

unholy1

Might Stick Around
May 4, 2014
I had the same experience with my first couple of bowls. There's nothing wrong with the tobacco or pipe. From my experience, the charcoal taste was attributed to packing the bowl too tight. Several YouTube videos and patience won the day. Keep at it. You will be rewarded. Hell, I still screw up a pack on occasion. :)

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
That's great, thank you everyone for the support. I'll try and go Monday to a local shop and get a few different types and continue my journey.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Hello and welcome.

Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and use the search feature here.

Lots of your questions will have been asked and answered many times.

Keep the cob and get some decent baccy.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
This is the best thing you can do:
" go in and talk to someone and just tell them I don't know what I want or where to start."
The guy behind the counter has a self interest in making sure you have a good experience. The more you like, the more your going to go visit him.
I know my local B&M is great. Hopefully you have the same experience.
PS. If they sell pipes that look like you would smoke pot out of it; find another one. There are a few of those kind of "smoke shops" in my area. The only thing they can help with is explain why the huge bags of cigarette tobacco is labeled as "pipe" tobacco.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Well I went into a local shop this morning and talked with one of the guys in the sop. He showed me multiple types they had and what was the most popular. Sadly I didn't think ahead and bring my pipe with me, so he actually said he wouldn't sell me anything until I came in with my pipe to try them out (shows they want to keep customers). I went back just a little while ago and a different employee (I believe he said his name was John. He introduced me to a few people at the same time.) let me fill my pipe (on the house) with a Vanilla flavoring Cavendish. I told him since I was new to all this my technique on packing the pipe was probably no go and he said, which put my mind at ease "packing a pipe is more an art form than a science." I personally took it as it's how you like it, not how it exactly should be, so don't think it will be perfect. I attempted the style of first third pack like a child, second like a woman, third like a man. I think I'm still packing a bit too hard because I was relighting every couple of puffs and the pipe at one point got a bit warm for my fingers.
On to the smoke! Overall it was far more pleasant than the Pipa I originally received. I also brought that in and John said to set that aside for awhile. He said if I was really into Cherry, they had a great blend. I was able to sit down with a couple guys and watch ESPN and talk football for 45 minutes (one of the most relaxing times I've had in who knows how long). I will say the smoke was far more cool and a couple times when I could sustain the burn (terminology?) I got some better flavor than charcoal. Finally I was ready to buy some tobacco and head out when John gave me a blend of their Yachtsman:
"Our best selling cherry blend hands down. The finest Danish style cherry matured Virginia Cavendish is wedded by us w/cool burning black Virginia Cavendish. The marriage was a success. Absolutely the best cherry aroma together w/cool & mild tobacco taste"
I said this will be great, how much do I owe you?
Don't worry, it's on the house. This will give you a couple bowls to start figuring out what you like and don't like. Just make sure you come back and see us again.
WOW! I couldn't believe it! I was able to get a good bowl on the house that didn't burn my mouth, except for the few times I got a little aggressive with the inhale, AND another 1-1.5 oz for free!! I still can't get over how friendly everyone was and relaxing it was! I will say of the 10-15 guys that came in and out of the shop, I was the only one smoking a pipe. But that's alright and they had plenty of tobacco, pipes and accessories. I will definitely be going back to see what else they have! I also met a guy who is a Vikings fan there (I live in Virginia but was raised in Minnesota)!!
Thanks again to everyone that helped me over the first bump in the road. I'm hoping to continue diving into different areas and learning more about all the different kinds of tobacco! Speaking on that note of different types of tobacco, is there a good article or place to look (online, actually book, etc) that has a good break down of different types and what to expect?

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Like so many, I, too, started with Cherry Blend. Found out quickly it wasn't for me. Switched to a burley and found it to be to my liking. If you PM me your address, I'll send you a little Butternut Burley. It isn't a cherry blend, but it is a smooth smoke which I think a beginning piper like yourself might like.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
@ khartman
Damn, you're very fortunate to have found such a great B&M tobacco shop with employees who actually care and give such patient service. Most B&M's now days cater to selling cigars and couldn't find their own ass with a flashlight and a map, much less care when it comes to pipes and the associated tobacco blends. Even though they may possibly charge more than Internet dealers, by all means support them with your business as they are few and far in between these days. Just pleased to see you had a good experience and you'll soon be on your way to the enjoyment of pipe smoking. It is indeed a learning experience. Don't rush it and enjoy the ride as you learn. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.