PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willyspiper

Lurker
Jan 3, 2019
When I started pipe smoking last summer, I hit this board for the first time and watched several videos on tobacco reviews. I was quite mystified by others describing tastes of the various tobaccos. To me, they tasted like "something" but I could not put any words to it and just could not relate well to others descriptions of the various tobaccos.

As of the last couple of months, I am detecting things like pine, grass, nutty, earthy, latakia, etc. I have about 20 different blends in jars which may also be contributing to the flavoring over time as well as more skill in adjusting dryness and using different pipes and pack methods. I also have a variety of cobs, briars, and metal pipes to throw in the mix as well.

I still have a ways to go, but want to let other beginners know that it does get better from the initial tongue biting, sour, hot, indescribable, and bland smoke that many starters may experience.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
willy', interesting observations that many of us would share. I think you'll keep exploring. I'd buy leaf/blends in modest quantities -- a tin, a pouch, an ounce or two at a time, even if you like something a lot. Your tastes will keep changing and developing for a few years, and probably always change over time. If you don't like something, jar it up and try it in a year. It may have aged for better taste, or you may grow into it. Keep us posted, and welcome aboard.

willyspiper

Lurker
Jan 3, 2019
Adding to my previous post, I also find that the smoking session changes in character from the topping rich taste at light-up to the base taste in mid smoke to the either rich or trashy taste of the end of the bowl which depends on many factors like rate of smoking, tobacco type and pipe used. Many variables like humidity, ambient temperature and indoor vs outdoor make each bowl a different experience for me.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’m in the same boat, I often have a hard time describing what specifically I’m tasting. Often times I can’t pick out specific smells or tastes until I compare one blend to another completely different one. Like if a Virginia is just “grassy” I might smoke an English for a while, and when I come back to the Virginia I’ll immediately notice rum or some other note that I was totally unaware of until I cleansed my palette with something different. Like you, I still have a long way to go. But that’s half the fun. I enjoy reading reviews and seeing if I can then pick out the same tasting notes for myself.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
That all sounds very familiar. Until I perfected my technique, I usually couldn’t stand the bottom half of most bowls. But now, particularly with Virginia forward blends, I look forward to the creep of different carmelized notes as the bowl progresses and the tobacco on the bottom stoves a little bit before it ignites.

Status
Not open for further replies.