PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crusher47

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2014
Quick dumb question .... I loved Frog Morton Cellar when I had my first tin of it just 3 short months ago. Since that time, I've acquired numerous samples and smoked many different blends. Last week I opened a brand new tin of Frog Morton Cellar to give some of it away as a sample and figured since it was now open, I would smoke some of it.
I really looked forward to it as it had been my favorite blend from all others I have tried around the same time, again about 3 months ago. Anyway, smoked a bowl....nothing, it was quite mild and bland. I figured maybe I ate something earlier that would affect it, so the next day, tried again with a different pipe, same thing! Tried again a couple of days later with a cob, still not much difference.
I know tastes change, but really that quickly? Is this somewhat normal? TIA

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
If you have been smoking a lot heavier or more complex mixtures, you may have expanded your palate so much that le frog has fallen out of your tastes.
Or it could just be your taste has changed for a little while. Sometimes (right now as a matter of fact) I have no taste for Latakia. I will go along for months puffing away at Lancers Slices, Samovar or one of the various 759 recreations and then all of a sudden, Latakia just tastes acrid, bitter and just plain unpleasant and I just have no desire for our smokey friend. Then its only my standby Oriental and dark Virginia (I smoke them constantly, and never tire of them) with a smattering of VaPers and Burleys. Then one day, VaPer and Burley tastes like straw and I'm back on Latakia. It's individual body chemistry or alchemy or magic or something. Don't fret, there are hundreds of blends out there to fit whatever mood you are in. Use it as an excuse to sample new things.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I go on benders where all I want are blends that are described as full strength. Then I'll swing back and have

a taste for milder blends, for a change of pace or for a while. I don't think it is a one-way progression, or at

least it hasn't been for me. So don't throw out the tin of FM. One evening it may be just what you want.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Make sure your pipe hasn't been ghosted a bit by the stronger blends. I noticed this can be an issue with FMC, when I tried it in my pipe I use for strong English blends. It's not that it is washed out, but just the whiskey part of it seems like it gets lost amidst all that Latakia.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I'm finding my taste in tobacco is changing as well. I love the Virginia's and vapers, and could not tolerate burleys. Now, I am smoking just as many burleys.
And sometimes I like amber beers, over stouts. Then suddenly stouts, porters are my go to beer. And then port wine over Chianti is my mainstay. Sometimes I want bourbon instead of scotch. And then certain scotch blends taste better over others.
Contrast is what makes life interesting and exciting.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I find FMC a LOT tastier after it's had some time to dry out in the tin. Maybe you liked the old batch because it caught your fancy as you made your way through the tin. Give this tin a while to air itself out a little and try it again. You never know...

crusher47

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2014
Thanks everyone, I tried some again last night and it was a little better and close to what I remember.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
1+ to Oklansas on the ghosting issue. That can be proven by the purchase of an estate pipe that has been heavily smoked by the style that you are currently not smoking (heavy English vs aromatic - an age old argument in itself for which is responsible for the ghosting most).

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Ghosting could be an issue, or, as mso489 and indianafrank say, this could be a matter of you being on a different "kick". Sometimes I get on a pale ale kick, and drink that brew exclusively for a couple of weeks. I then get on a Scotch ale kick for a bit. The same happens with my tastes in tobaccos. Sometimes I will smoke full English or Balkan blends for a week, then smoke codger blends the next. Your tastes may have changed, but they may swing pendulum-like back to Frog Morton - do not throw it out just yet.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Another +1 to Ghosting from a stronger blend. Especially since it has been such a short time.
Although the Pallet change is an interesting addition.
Try cleaning a pipe real good to rid out the ghost option. Sweet and cure for me is the best for that. Minus the short term mint.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Tastes change -- and can change that quickly. That said, my tastes vary more than they change. I'll smoke blends with more latakia for a while. Then, suddenly, crave some Escudo. Or an aro. Then, Frog. So, hang on to it. Jar it up and wait a bit. You may like it again when the weather turns nice.

crusher47

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2014
Thanks again everyone! I forgot to mention, some of the other blends I've tried are Pirate Kake & 10 Russians, which pack quite a wallop so I'm assuming FMC will taste much lighter since it's a light English/Cross-over blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.