Taste Better When Smoking On Certain Side?!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Okay, am I the odd man out here...Or are there any others that can actually taste the tobacco better when smoking from a certain side of the mouth?
I'm leftie for some things (like hand writing) and righty for others (like bowling) and sometimes I can use either hand (ambidextrous). I tend to prefer holding a pipe with my left hand and puffing from that side...But, and I feel strange saying this, I could swear I can discern the flavors better if I smoke form the right side instead.
Am I nuts? Anyone else notice this?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
You're not crazy, I feel the same way (kinda). I find it tastes different from one side to the other, and it also feels different. I attribute this to the constant bombardment of smoke to the part of the tongue/mouth you normally smoke on, versus a fresh set of buds on the other side. I'm a righty, but I clench and hold my pipe on the left. I also dip snuff on the left, but when I chew tobacco, I chew on the right. I can't explain why, but it just feel weird if I do otherwise!

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Lefty, always. Feels weird and doesn't taste as good on the right.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm right handed, so I tend to smoke on the right side, but I definitely benefit from changing from side to side for

better taste. One side gets sated, so I move the pipe to the other. Sometimes a sip of beverage will also freshen

the taste.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
I am right handed on everything I do but smoke a pipe. The left side does seem to taste better and it is just more comfortable for me.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I always find the best bowls I've ever had is when I'm smoking doing a headstand upside down.

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
The direction you smoke (and aim the smoke) might have somethin to do with this? The position of taste buds on your tongue are symmetrical, but i dunno.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
I think you're all nuts.

And I've been declared Baaaaddd Santa by my wife. :nana:

nscoyote

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2013
I find the smoke more pleasant flavour full with the stem laid on my teeth bout half way down the right row, drawing it between my cheek and tongue. if i roll my tongue back it pulls in just enough puff to really enjoy, i also foudn by doing it this way very rarely do i get bitten even with the aromatic OTC blends i am stuck having to purchase locally. Yes i realize its probably not a "normal" method of smoking, but hey normal is far to boring anyway LOL

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
Flavor - do you get flavor on every puff / sip - all my pipes i get flavor about every 7-10 sips but must puff full & pass thru my nose - not an inhale -

do you get flavor on every puff ??

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I naturally smoke from my right but I find no taste difference between the 2 sides. I think it's helpful to move the pipe around as much as possible to avoid overdoing it in one spot.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Sorry I feel like I'm being argumentative tonight but I'm not trying to be!
Kcpoe, I was taught in school that there are regions on the tung that have a higher percentage of receptors making them better for tasting certain flavors. This has always been contested but was proven wrong with a few studies done in the early 2000's. One that comes to mind is a study done by Howard huges medical institute published in 2006. Although the density of receptors vary what type and how much are in an area depends entirely on your eating habits, and unless you take great care to only use one side of your mouth for a stimulus such as smoking, the variation won't be enough for us to taste the difference. Hope someone finds that interesting :)

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I am and have always been pretty much an ambidextrous pipe smoker and in more than 40 years I have never noticed any difference in taste between the left and right sides ... perhaps without meaning to do so, I've 'cultivated' both sides more or less equally ...

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I always bite on the right. Pipestems will mold to teeth. Holding always in the middle. Both have their advantages, but you'll never see me on the left. It'll fall out.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
I taste no difference but do make an effort to move the pipe from one side to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.