Tags:   

Taste?

(32 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by adamjames
  • Latest reply from foggymountain
  1. adamjames

adamjames

Login to Send PM

Well, I smoked my new Peterson System 31 for the first time this morning, with some (also new) Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.

It took a few matches to get it going, but thereafter smoked happily away.

My worry, however, is that I didn't really taste the smoke. That is, I drew it in, swirled it about, and blew it out, but never did I taste the 'sweetness' or 'high notes' that make EMP so popular. Furthermore, it left a slightly sour taste in my mouth afterwards, which made me want to spit.

I had been under the impression that my previous tobacco had just been poor stuff (Kendal Black Cherry), but despite the distinctive difference in smell, this tasted just the same - not bad, but not great either.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. redbeard

redbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

New pipe, possibly since it needs to be broken in? I'm not sure, I am fairly new myself. Someone with more experience will speak up

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. kris

kris

Login to Send PM

Some of my Pete's have taken 20+ smokes before they start behaving and deliver the flavour. Excellent smokers once broken in though...

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

New pipes often do need time to break in , I for one like the taste of new briar . The same goes for tobacco ,sometimes you have to smoke a few bowls before you can start to pick up the nuances . You should try blowing the smoke out of your nose on the exhale a sure fire way to add more flavor . Also of note is dedicating a pipe to a certain type of tobacco so the taste does not get mingled up or ghosted . You are doing fine just keep trying .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You've got a pipe that's not broken in, and a tobacco you aren't familiar with. That's generally considered a less than optimal combination, since you are learning both the characteristics of the pipe and the characteristics of the blend. Most experienced smokers would tell you to break in a new pipe with a blend you know well. Likewise, use a pipe that is well-broken in to explore a new tobacco.

Lots of fellas like to use a simple OTC burley like Carter Hall to break in a new pipe.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

IMO, Jud nailed it!

Igloo said,

You should try blowing the smoke out of your nose on the exhale a sure fire way to add more flavor
    That works, but Iggy has been known to blow smoke out of another orifice too!

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. rotschefeller

rotschefeller

Login to Send PM

I've also had the problem of tobacco not having much taste. 3 bowls in and I still hadn't tasted the stuff yet. I put it in a jar and let it sit for a few months and then tried it again and it had developed flavor!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. philobeddoe

philobeddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

EMP doesn't have much taste to me either, it's like smoking air. I tried to get into it several times, to no avail. So it may not be your pipe or newness to pipe smoking, you may simply need a stronger flavored tobacco, try Dunhill 965 or Dunhill Standard Mixutre Medium for a more pronounced English flavor.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. loseth

loseth

Login to Send PM

Well I just opened a tin of Mr. B's knock off of EMP and I find the same thing, its like I don't taste anything when I'm smoking it, its so mild. I think for myself I've realized that with anything (drinks, good, smoke) I just don't have the most distinctive taste buds. Also, that I like strong tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Peterson pipes are pre-carbed. The pre-carb has a tendency to taste funny for the first several smokes. My solution is to smoke 7 or 8 bowls of 1-Q or another mild aromatic, then clean the pipe with pipe cleaners soaked with alcohol. Then start smoking whatever blend you want to use for that pipe. Like others mentioned, Petes have a long break in time so take your time, smoke slow and build some cake.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. loseth

loseth

Login to Send PM

Oops, what am I talking about, I bought Mr. B's Royal Yacht, not the EMP knock off, discredit what I said, haha

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Petes have a VERY LONG break in time, but their system pipes are very good smokers once they are broken in. One thing I noticed was mine smoked hot until I built up a decent cake, while my other pipes smoked cool from the very first time. They will taste a little funny at first, just smoke your favorite blend in it for a while.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do not get discouraged, pipe smoking has a bit of a learning curve so just be patient and keep at it. Soon you will have that ah ha moment when everything comes together. As said above, it takes time to break in a new pipe and to become familiar with a new blend. The more you smoke it the more you will pick up it's flavors.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Ya, keep at it, have patience, sip slowly. Also, as some have said, Petersons take a LONG TIME to break in and until you break in a pipe, tobacco will not taste quite as good, especially in a pipe with a pre-carb coating like your Peterson.

Truly appreciating the pipe smoking hobby is a long slow process and I think I speak for most of us, even those of us who've been puffing for decades -- we are still learning.

It's the journey, not the destination.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. cedeks

cedeks

Login to Send PM

First, Peterson system pipe has excellent draw . I bought one lately and kept it in my daily rotation since day one. On the other hand regarding loseth comment I am really surprised that anyone would mistake the mild emp with royal yacht being the heaviest tobacco I have ever tried. In fact both nicotine and lattikia flavour hit you in the face with the first draw.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I am really surprised that anyone would mistake the mild emp with royal yacht being the heaviest tobacco I have ever tried. In fact both nicotine and lattikia flavour hit you in the face with the first draw.

I was a bit taken aback by this too. In fact, I recommend Early Morning Pipe to puffers as their first dip into English/Balkan blends as I consider EMP a light English. I'm not a latakia fan (EMP has none) and I keep EMP in the cellar and smoke it fairly regularly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. adamjames

adamjames

Login to Send PM

Well, after much advice, the score is now Day 2, Bowl 2; and at the end of the second bowl, the taste changed suddenly. It became rich and full, and then went out.

Such is life, but tomorrow will bring third-time-lucky vibes, I have no doubt.

So, thanks for all the help; this place is great.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Adam, WTG on sticking with it! It tales more than a few bowls to give a blend a proper chance IMO.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. loseth

loseth

Login to Send PM

I am really surprised that anyone would mistake the mild emp with royal yacht being the heaviest tobacco I have ever tried.

I was a bit taken aback by this too. In fact, I recommend Early Morning Pipe to puffers as their first dip into English/Balkan blends as I consider EMP a light English. I'm not a latakia fan (EMP has none) and I keep EMP in the cellar and smoke it fairly regularly.

I have never had EMP, for some reason I was thinking of Royal Yacht, which I haven't tried either, I have Mr. B's Yacht Club which I believe is their take on Royal Yacht. So really, I haven't tried either of the tobaccos just a knock off of the Yacht one.

But like I've mentioned, I find the Yacht Club very mild.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. kris

kris

Login to Send PM

I didn't think Royal Yacht had Latakia in it?

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. loseth

loseth

Login to Send PM

I don't think it does . . .

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Dunhill Royal Yacht, IIRC (of course this was years ago and by a different blender -- Murray's, not Orlik) had orientals, but no latakia.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. loseth

loseth

Login to Send PM

Pipesandcigars description of Royal Yacht is as such:

Truly a luxurious tobacco. The world's best Virginias are carefully conditioned to insure sweetness. Then they are added to rich, heavier and cooler Virginias. A unique flavor is added to the final blend to enhance the subtle and piquant aroma.

Judging by that it still looks like there is not Latakia in it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. kris

kris

Login to Send PM

I LOVE Royal Yacht & am a bit perplexed by why there is not more mention of it in these forums?

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. adamjames

adamjames

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Bowl three was lovely. I've slowed down, especially whilst lighting, and this seems to let the flavour come out.

Now I just need some way of defeating the smell. I smoke outside (out of necessity), so clothes, hair, etc. are no problem. But I find the way that pipe bowls smell really irksome. Is there some way of combatting this?

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

But I find the way that pipe bowls smell really irksome. Is there some way of combating this?

After cleaning the pipe thoroughly after each smoke (including gently scraping the bowl interior with a dull pipe knife), I use a clean paper towel to "ream" the bowl. I feel it does a better job than simply using pipe cleaners bent into a "U" that some prefer.

I ream with one end of the paper towel folded to fit in the bowl, then do it again with the other end.

You could add wee bit of rum or whisky (not much) on the second end of the paper towel if you like -- just a little will sweeten it up nicely.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. cedeks

cedeks

Login to Send PM

Not sure if my opinion regarding royal yacht is valid or not but I couldn't finish my first bowl, so decided to store the tin for a year or so and tried it again. Although I made it through, nicotine level was way beyond my capabilities. So for me at least I think emp or 965 fits my taste and nicotine tolerance much more.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Although I made it through, nicotine level was way beyond my capabilities.

You can also try cutting a high nicotine blend you believe you won't smoke with a blend you enjoy and know is very light in nicotine. Try experimenting with the amounts of each in a small bowl to find the right ratio for you. I've done this with good results.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. cedeks

cedeks

Login to Send PM

I think it is definitely an idea worth trying special ly that I bought a pack of 5 tins back then (thought it was a good deal 5 tins for $23) and I am kind of stuck with one opened now and four sitting there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I am kind of stuck with one opened now and four sitting there.

Aging them for a few years or more will certainly mellow the blend out and sweeten it some, but I don't think it will lower the nicotine that much.

Cutting it is worth a shot. If you take that road, consider keeping notes and let us know how it works for you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. cedeks

cedeks

Login to Send PM

Guess that will be my target, thanks for the hint. I will try cutting it but guess it wouldn't do much since the tobacco it self is finely cut, closer to cigarette tobacco than to a pipe...

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Taste comes from several places at once. The briar, the tobacco, the wax on the pipe, the stain on the pipe (inside & out)and your mouth. Re Petersons, as mentioned above, they are a long hard breakin. This is partly because of the stain and partly for other reasons that I have difficulty in discerning, but it possibly has to do with the age and curing of the briar. Pete does give you a good piece of briar for the dollar though, so eventually they do break in. I was surprised that someone above mentioned 20 smokes as the breakin number. I have only had 1 Pete that succumbed that quickly. It can take a few years, depending on how often you smoke the thing.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   forest7, mcitinner1, mrholmes, cobguy, mso489, oldmannk