PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamjames

Lurker
Jan 14, 2013
Well, I smoked my new Peterson System 31 for the first time this morning, with some (also new) Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.
It took a few matches to get it going, but thereafter smoked happily away.
My worry, however, is that I didn't really taste the smoke. That is, I drew it in, swirled it about, and blew it out, but never did I taste the 'sweetness' or 'high notes' that make EMP so popular. Furthermore, it left a slightly sour taste in my mouth afterwards, which made me want to spit.
I had been under the impression that my previous tobacco had just been poor stuff (Kendal Black Cherry), but despite the distinctive difference in smell, this tasted just the same - not bad, but not great either.
What am I doing wrong?

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
New pipe, possibly since it needs to be broken in? I'm not sure, I am fairly new myself. Someone with more experience will speak up :puffpipe:

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Some of my Pete's have taken 20+ smokes before they start behaving and deliver the flavour. Excellent smokers once broken in though...

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
New pipes often do need time to break in , I for one like the taste of new briar . The same goes for tobacco ,sometimes you have to smoke a few bowls before you can start to pick up the nuances . You should try blowing the smoke out of your nose on the exhale a sure fire way to add more flavor . Also of note is dedicating a pipe to a certain type of tobacco so the taste does not get mingled up or ghosted . You are doing fine just keep trying . 8)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You've got a pipe that's not broken in, and a tobacco you aren't familiar with. That's generally considered a less than optimal combination, since you are learning both the characteristics of the pipe and the characteristics of the blend. Most experienced smokers would tell you to break in a new pipe with a blend you know well. Likewise, use a pipe that is well-broken in to explore a new tobacco.
Lots of fellas like to use a simple OTC burley like Carter Hall to break in a new pipe.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
IMO, Jud nailed it! :clap:
Igloo said,
You should try blowing the smoke out of your nose on the exhale a sure fire way to add more flavor
That works, but Iggy has been known to blow smoke out of another orifice too! :rofl:

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
I've also had the problem of tobacco not having much taste. 3 bowls in and I still hadn't tasted the stuff yet. I put it in a jar and let it sit for a few months and then tried it again and it had developed flavor!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
EMP doesn't have much taste to me either, it's like smoking air. I tried to get into it several times, to no avail. So it may not be your pipe or newness to pipe smoking, you may simply need a stronger flavored tobacco, try Dunhill 965 or Dunhill Standard Mixutre Medium for a more pronounced English flavor.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Well I just opened a tin of Mr. B's knock off of EMP and I find the same thing, its like I don't taste anything when I'm smoking it, its so mild. I think for myself I've realized that with anything (drinks, good, smoke) I just don't have the most distinctive taste buds. Also, that I like strong tobacco.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Peterson pipes are pre-carbed. The pre-carb has a tendency to taste funny for the first several smokes. My solution is to smoke 7 or 8 bowls of 1-Q or another mild aromatic, then clean the pipe with pipe cleaners soaked with alcohol. Then start smoking whatever blend you want to use for that pipe. Like others mentioned, Petes have a long break in time so take your time, smoke slow and build some cake.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Oops, what am I talking about, I bought Mr. B's Royal Yacht, not the EMP knock off, discredit what I said, haha

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Petes have a VERY LONG break in time, but their system pipes are very good smokers once they are broken in. One thing I noticed was mine smoked hot until I built up a decent cake, while my other pipes smoked cool from the very first time. They will taste a little funny at first, just smoke your favorite blend in it for a while.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Do not get discouraged, pipe smoking has a bit of a learning curve so just be patient and keep at it. Soon you will have that ah ha moment when everything comes together. As said above, it takes time to break in a new pipe and to become familiar with a new blend. The more you smoke it the more you will pick up it's flavors.

cedeks

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2012
First, Peterson system pipe has excellent draw . I bought one lately and kept it in my daily rotation since day one. On the other hand regarding loseth comment I am really surprised that anyone would mistake the mild emp with royal yacht being the heaviest tobacco I have ever tried. In fact both nicotine and lattikia flavour hit you in the face with the first draw.

adamjames

Lurker
Jan 14, 2013
Well, after much advice, the score is now Day 2, Bowl 2; and at the end of the second bowl, the taste changed suddenly. It became rich and full, and then went out.
Such is life, but tomorrow will bring third-time-lucky vibes, I have no doubt.
So, thanks for all the help; this place is great.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I am really surprised that anyone would mistake the mild emp with royal yacht being the heaviest tobacco I have ever tried.
I was a bit taken aback by this too. In fact, I recommend Early Morning Pipe to puffers as their first dip into English/Balkan blends as I consider EMP a light English. I'm not a latakia fan (EMP has none) and I keep EMP in the cellar and smoke it fairly regularly.

I have never had EMP, for some reason I was thinking of Royal Yacht, which I haven't tried either, I have Mr. B's Yacht Club which I believe is their take on Royal Yacht. So really, I haven't tried either of the tobaccos just a knock off of the Yacht one.
But like I've mentioned, I find the Yacht Club very mild.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Pipesandcigars description of Royal Yacht is as such:

Truly a luxurious tobacco. The world's best Virginias are carefully conditioned to insure sweetness. Then they are added to rich, heavier and cooler Virginias. A unique flavor is added to the final blend to enhance the subtle and piquant aroma.

Judging by that it still looks like there is not Latakia in it. :?

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I LOVE Royal Yacht & am a bit perplexed by why there is not more mention of it in these forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.