PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Stupid politicians are stupid
So if they get their way, I'm in the last demographic to legally smoke, pipes or otherwise..
But I say good on them for trying to do the right thing. Now if they can ban the sale of ice, crack and all the other drugs that cause damage to society.
Wait, they have..

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
jessicac:
Good morning (at least here in the States)! Is tobacco heavily taxed in Australia? If so, then I doubt that any attempt to ban its sale will prevail, as politicians typically favor revenue over all other considerations.
Concerning your new avatar, is this the law school version?

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Taxed heavily? Hell, a 50g pouch varied between $55-70 (in USD $42-54).
Insane, I know.
As for the law school avatar, I suppose it can be. Still a month before classes start, but I've had to stock up on the books (another thing thats overpriced here, law texts) :) Personally, I just think its because a goat smoking a pipe is so surreal that it makes me crack up in laughter.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
They should read the history books on Prohibition in the U.S. and it's correlation with the rise of organized crime.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, that kind of taxation would slow down my pipe smoking to half. I'm moderate as it is, and most of my tins end up at least somewhat aged, if not ancient. I think depressing cigarette sales has probably resulted in significant improved health statistics, but I doubt the same treatment of cigars and pipes will advance things. They are smoked differently and less frequently, even by regular users. I think the legislators are pumping a dry well, and maybe creating a minor sort of cult black market. The geezer underground. And maybe a hipster underground. And a women-who-smoke-pipes underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.