PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Fairly new piper. About a year now.
Just curious as to the ash that forms on top while smoking a bowl. Is it better to tap out the ash as you go or just leave it alone? Seems odd to mash down the ash into the tobacco when tamping.
When I have to relight, I usually dump out the ashes. The ashes fall out easily, leaving the unsmoked tobacco behind. I then tamp lightly and relight. Not sure if it makes any difference but seems to help with less relights, especially nearing the bottom of the bowl. Thanks.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The ash will insulate the bowl and help to keep it lit. I only dump in very deep bowls when I can no longer relight.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I usually dump out the ash when it starts to interfere with a good re-light.]
+2. It happens to me generally about half way of the bowl.

I don't ever dump the ash, unless there's a problem. I don't tamp very often either. When I am smoking, I just leave the pipe in my clench, passively smoking, so I don't like to fiddle with the pipe very often. Maybe a couple of tamps early on, but then I don"t mess with it usually till I just have ash left in the pipe.
Unless someone is bothering me, with talking and things where I have to take the pipe out of my mouth repetitive, jerks... Then I will tamp or fiddle with the pipe till they leave me alone. :puffy:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
It is kind of personal preference. Some people chase that smoke to the end with a fine white ash scenario. I personally tend to dump my ash when it interferes with relighting like mentioned above. Early in my pipe smoking journey a burned the rim on more than few pipes because I was cranking the flame to light tobacco under a deep layer of ash. If you dump that ash very carefully (read just a bit) then delights are easier and require just a whiff of flame.
Note: if I am smoking inside, like in a comfortable chair reading a book scenario, I very rarely need to dump the ash. It’s more of a controlled situation in doors and I can slow puff.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yeah, but that's more your vocation, no? :)
When outside, which is much of my smoking, I'll flick the ash off when it's sitting on top; saves the wind from blowing it around and into the face. Inside, I just leave it.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
OK. Thanks a bunch for all the replies. Sounds like I’m on the right track. I have a couple of fairly deep cobs that definitely benefit from dumping the ash off the top for relights.
On my other standard size pipes, I’m going to give the Cosmic method a try and just leave it alone until the end.
Now I just have to figure out how to get to the bottom without dottle. Doesn’t really bother me dumping out the dottle but more of a personal challenge to figure out how to smoke it down to nothing. Seems like the bottom can be a nasty place, usually hot and bitter for me. Going to start experimenting with drying to see if that makes a difference.

upnorth1

Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
I never dump the ash. I tend to puff while I lightly tamp, holding the ember in closer light contact with the unburnt tobacco underneath. I believe the thin layer of ash leaves a small channel for air to pass between the tamper and the ember helping to feed the ember. I may be wrong but not dumping the ash has never had a negative effect on my smoking.I might add that I don't seem to need to tamp often.

Jan 8, 2013
Usually it's not necessary for me to dump the ash. Only when so much ash has accumulated that I can't light the tobacco underneath do I dump any ash. It's a pretty rare occurrence.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
I prefere not to dump my ash if i can avoid it. But do what you finds works best for you, there are probably thousand of different ways that works for different people.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I dump my ash about 1/3 way thru, and whenever I start getting the sensation of the flavors becoming muddled or "ashy". This usually helps quite a bit. I also dump (gently, as always) when I'm getting inconsistent re-lights.
CW

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll echo the posts that say, I don't often dump the ash. If I get a lot of loose ash on the top, and I can dump it out just by gravity, I'll sometimes do that. Usually it tamps down and doesn't get in the way. I'd say one bowl out of twenty or less gets dumped and relit. Then I tamp only lightly, so as not to pack a wad of blend in the bottom of the bowl, and rarely, I'll stir a little with the pick. I never knock my pipes to empty ash. I used to have a knocking cork in the ash tray, but I finally decided to let gravity do the work, use the scoop, or leave it alone. I remember the old timers knocking their pipes on their shoe sole or heel, against a brick wall, or anywhere else. Sometimes it sounded like a judges gavel. Considering how long they expected to smoke one pipe continuously, I'm amazed they were so gingerly with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.