PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I've been concentrating on finishing opened blends. But now I'm ready to open a new tin or two. My favorite tobaccos are generally virginias (red in particular) and VaPers. Here's what I have on hand generally in those genres that I've not yet even tried. What should I try next?
Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

McClelland Blackwoods Flake

Solani Blend 633 - Virginia Flake

Wessex Brigade Classic Virginia

Samuel Gawith Brown Rope No.4

Samuel Gawith Brown Sugar Flake

Samuel Gawith Cabbies Mixture

MacBaren Capstan Original Navy Cut

Esoterica Tobacciana Dorchester

Esoterica Tobacciana Dunbar

GL Pease Fillmore

Rattray Hal O the Wynd

MacBaren HH Bold Kentucky

MacBaren HH Pure Virginia

Reiner Long Golden Flake

J. F. Germain & Son Medium Flake

Cornell & Diehl Opening Night

McClelland Red & Black

McCranies Red Ribbon

GL Pease Telegraph Hill

GL Pease Triple Play

GL Pease Union Square

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
Go for the HoTW. I'm smoking a bowl right now! Although there are lots of good choices there!

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
GL Pease Union Square
I just tapped into a 2 year old tin and it is amazing. Loving it so far!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Lots of great choices, but you have McCranie's Red Ribbon, so I'd go with that.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Dude, McClelland's Red & Black is the best new blend to hit the market it years. It's so damn good! You're gonna wanna buy more, too. That one will be going bye bye.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For a thrill (go cautiously) the SG brown rope; for what's new, the SG Brown Sugar Flake; for a great burley plug, Triple Play; for a sturdy standby, McB's Bold Kentucky. However, you could go at this blindfolded and do fine, as near as I see. You don't have anything there I wouldn't gladly pack, I don't think.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
hawky - I have 5 tins of Red & Black. Perhaps I should try that soon, just to see if I need a dozen more. McClelland is definitely the boss of Red Virginia.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I missed the Red & Black on your list! Definitely try that one!
I agree with hawky -- this is the best new blend I've tried in the last several years. I have 10 tins in the cellar now and wish for more. Really outstanding stuff!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
hawky - I have 5 tins of Red & Black. Perhaps I should try that soon, just to see if I need a dozen more. McClelland is definitely the boss of Red Virginia.

I would love to hear what you think of it if you do decide to open it.

I agree with hawky -- this is the best new blend I've tried in the last several years. I have 10 tins in the cellar now and wish for more. Really outstanding stuff!

After my first tin I went ahead and bought ten tins as well. This stuff is going to age just superbly and I think I'm going to have to get more to be on the safe side.

Dec 24, 2012
hawky, the Red & Black is delightful but let's agree here not to build up that blend too much . . . er . . . until I have another 30 or 40 tins in the cellar. I do think that R&B and Bijou are the two best new blends I have smoked in some time. I am cellaring both in quantity. Shit . . . forget that . . . I mean they are both wretched blends and you should all avoid them.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions all. Yesterday I again avoided opening anything new. Instead II spent my day smoking McClelland Dark Star and McClelland 5100. But today I finally gave in. On the recommendations here, I popped a tin of GL Pease Triple Play and a tin of McClelland Red and Black. My first bowl was a pure "red" bowl from the Red & Black. All I can say is wow!! Some of the tangiest, sweetest red flake I've had to date. This was better than 5100, McCranies Red Flake and the different vintages of Christmas Cheer I've had. And I love all of those too. At times I started sensing some cinnamon, but that came and went, showing up mostly when I was puffing too quickly. Slowing down brought the tangy notes back in. A very satisfying smoke. By the time the day is done I will try a bowl of straight "black" and a bowl mixed closer to 50/50. The four unopened tins I've now got are likely going to be the tip of the iceberg for me of this blend. I'll get to the Triple Play late today, or possibly tomorrow.
Thanks all for the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.