PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2018
I bought a pack of bj long tapered pipe cleaners at my local shop and they seem to be more of a pain to use than the normal ones. When would a tapered pipe cleaners come in handy?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yeah, I bought a bag of them about a year ago and still haven't used them up. Their only real use for me is when I take the stem off the pipe. I use the skinny end in the stem and then use the fat end in the shank, fold it in half and use it in the bowl. :crazy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
For versatility so you won't have to buy different size cleaners for different pipes. The small end is great for p-lip stems.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Many of my pipes fit the tapered cleaners; they work well for soaking up the moisture that collects in Peterson dry-system reservoirs, and I will also sometimes use them when resting an especially wet pipe. I find the tapered cleaners are far more absorbent than the thinner cleaners, and I seem to need to use them less, per smoke, for gurgles and the like.
I actually prefer the tapered cleaners, as I seem to run out of packages at a 3-1 rate compared to the thinner.
I guess it just comes down to personal preference.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I only buy tapered BJ Long tapered regular and bristled pipe cleaners. The taper like said above is just more versatile than the straight ones. I normally buy ten packs of each at a time and from PC as they only charge 2.00 per pack.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I use tapers all the time. With the artisan stems that have an articulated airway, the taper does a better job of cleaning out the stem than a regular pipe cleaner. Sops up more moisture. I use tapered bristles to clean out the shank airway and wipe the chamber walls. Doubled over a couple of times bristle tapers clean out a mortise just fine and I then follow with doubled over fluffies to sop up the moisture. Wouldn't be without them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sable', a very craftsmanlike adaptation of a specialized tool. I grabbed some tapered pipe cleaners at a pipe show, unknowingly. I made them work for a while, but I had already made my adaptations to the regular ones, when to fold them over, how to use them on different size airways, and I didn't feel the tapered ones were helping me. It's like choice of tools in general. Some work really well for some people. If I have any tapered left, in the bottom of the drawer, I may give them another go. But so far, I've been a lot happier with the regulars. I do like bristled (not tapered) for the occasional scrubbing out the airway; supposedly they don't scratch shank or stem materials.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
I only use the tapered pipe cleaners. I find that they remove build up with less passes needed.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I bought a pack of bj long tapered pipe cleaners at my local shop and they seem to be more of a pain to use than the normal ones. When would a tapered pipe cleaners come in handy?
When a thicker pipe cleaner has trouble going through the stem, I take the stem off and push the thin end through, and pull the rest through from the tenon side.
How far Down East are you?
A former Mainiac

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I use the tapered pipe cleaners for my cobs. The cob stems have larger airways in the stem and I find the tapered cleaners soak up the moisture better then the regular cleaners.

Status
Not open for further replies.