PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Hello everyone.
I have really been starting to enjoy flake tobaccos as of late and enjoy the slow cool burn of the fold and tuck vs. rubbing out.
I have, however, been encountering burn issues which I have to imagine are from not being able to tamp the outer portions of the tobacco down into the ember. The tobacco seems to burns in a conical shape with the center burning the fastest. This is similar to other cuts I have smoked, but with other cuts I can tamp the outer portions of tobacco into the ember. With the folded flake it seems the orientation of the tobacco fights the tamping process.(I call it out as a "burn" issue because eventually I can no longer tamp effectively at all and the pipe starts going out quite frequently)
I have tried being a little more aggressive and scraping the outer portion in and down over on top of the ember, but usually this process just results in packing the pipe too tight where I can no longer get a draw.
I am sure it is just something that comes with experience, but if anyone has any tricks or pointers they can contribute it would be greatly appreciated.
I apologize in advance if this has already been covered in older posts. I used the search function and haven't found anything.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I do love to smoke flake.

first fold flake tobacco and put into pipe.

Second rubbed out little bit of flake with hand palm and place top of flake.

third lighting up and enjoy happy smoking.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Thanks Warren, and now that you mention it I bet I have been a little sparing with the charring light.
I think it is a hesitation to put flame that close to the rim of the bowl. I have a no name basket pipe that will be a good one to practice on though.
Thanks again

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Yes, but that flake is folding and tucking something completely different :rofl: ...

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I used to have the same issues. Instead of trying to perfect the method, I instead turned to the cube cut method for flakes. It burns more easily, stays lit better, and I find it even more flavorful.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
$.02:
I use the z-fold method (leaving a wide-open draw), and I don't tamp. I light the center (using the thermodynamics method of lighting and smoking, and I occasionally, gently scrape some of the ash away as I go. I also gently scrape some of the tobacco left in the distillation zone into the combustion zone, tamping with only the weight of the tamper.
It works every time for me.
I also use this method with shag cut tobacco, and it works every time there too.
I've found my rhythm.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
First off, who is Bruce Jenner?
Second off, when I have a flake I usually fold it in half side to side and then fold it in half top to bottom, then I rest it on my middle finger in between my pointer and ring and use my thumb to gently rub it out a bit, then stuff it into the bowl. I'll use any bit of the flake that broke off as kindling on the top. That coupled with lighting in a circular motion tends to get an even burn.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I like to fold and stuff Orlik and Mac Barren Navy Flake. The key I find it to have one flake rubbed out that you top the bowl with. It doesn't take the whole flake just enough to cover the top and get the folded stuff lit good.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Learnt a lot from this thread.

I can only burn to the bottom of the bowl with only ash remain for rubbed and dried flake, while I haven't tried the cube cut method which sounds promising.

The technical challenge seems to be mostly related to the fold-n-tuck or roll-n-tuck or fold-n-roll-tuck method. I have been trying this method, though without much great success, because it can easily be the laziest and the most natural method.

There was only 2 or 3 times I could smoke it to the bottom of the bowl with more ease, but those were outdoor and windy environment which assisted burning greatly. Most of the case using the fold-n-tuck method, I also had unburnt or partially burnt flake tobacco sticking to the wall with white ash in the middle and it was mostly quite difficult to tamp if I have to. I just tried to empty some ash from to time instead, and then pick some of those partially burnt flake at the bowl wall to the middle.
Using the fold-n-tuck method without success sometimes irritates me: with many re-lighting and great deal of uncertainty about if the bowl is finished or not, and when the top layer didn't light up so easily in multiple attempt while there seem to be tobacco left at the bottom and tamping is impossible - it does sound frustrating more than enjoyable.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Using the fold-n-tuck method without success sometimes irritates me: with many re-lighting and great deal of uncertainty about if the bowl is finished or not, and when the top layer didn't light up so easily in multiple attempt while there seem to be tobacco left at the bottom and tamping is impossible - it does sound frustrating more than enjoyable.
Because there is little to no air in between the tobacco itself it is very easy to smother your ember with to much ash build up on top. I find that keeping just a slight dusting works best. Top much and the ember can't breath so it dies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Also don't fill your pipe all the way to the top of the rim that way you don't have to worry about burning it when lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.