PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
So I'm smokin my first bowl of flake tobacco (erinmore if you must know) and wondered when it was best to tamp it down? I rubbed out this flake but going to try all the other ways eventually so recommendations for all flake packs are recommended.

pyratemate

Lurker
Feb 6, 2013
I use a rubbed out flake (GL Pease Navigator), and am still having trouble gettin the hang of it. I rub it out really well and try to get it as fine as a loose blend. It gets tamped on the first relight from the charring light and then after every other relight.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
I rub out flakes and usually tamp once about halfway down the bowl, I like Virginia flakes with lots of air around them to facilitate a slow smoulder.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
If you grind the flakes to dust between your hands, just use your Czech tool to flatten them out and smash them down a bit, but be ready to relight a few more times than with other pipe tobaccos.
If you mix them with something tasty like Lane 1-Q, you can pack your pipe using the Frank method.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I am outside I will fold and stuff my flakes and that usually requires more tamping than when I cube cut my flakes. I do tamp lightly so I do not put the pipe out. I am also in the camp that believes flakes should be smoked either in a fold and stuff, cube cut or broken into big chunks with your fingers. The reason flakes taste so good and burn so cool is the fact they are compressed, when you fully rub them out it is like smoking a ribbon cut which in my experience, burns much hotter than flakes. I believe if people take the time to learn the cube cut and fold and stuff, they will get more enjoyment out of their flakes.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
What Roth and Harris say works for me - I used to fully rub out flakes, but the pipe burned hot and there wasn't a whole lot of flavor. Consequently, I didn't care a great deal for flakes. I've been cube-cutting for more than a year (and I will fold-and-stuff occasionally) - much better result. Slow-burning, lots of flavor, cooler pipe.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I have issues burning the tobacco at the sides of the chamber with fold n stuff. I feel like I'm only smoking half of what I pack. I prefer to rip flakes into 1/8" to 1/4" chunks. Ill tamp when the smoke thins out. Just enough to get the ember where it needs to be.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
What Roth and Harris say works for me - I used to fully rub out flakes, but the pipe burned hot and there wasn't a whole lot of flavor. Consequently, I didn't care a great deal for flakes. I've been cube-cutting for more than a year (and I will fold-and-stuff occasionally) - much better result. Slow-burning, lots of flavor, cooler pipe.
Exactly my storry also! However, I started cube cutting 4 days ago. It produces a much more interesting smoke.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Why bother with a flake if you're going to rub it out and/or pulverize it? Defeats the whole purpose. Why not just buy a ready-rubbed?
Bottom line, aging. Being tinned in a compressed state, especially if left alone for awhile will effect the smoke a lot more then if it's rubbed or not right before burning (although, yes, that makes a difference too). So, people may like flakes for the particular blend and how the flavors meld, but don't care to deal with the burning qualities of flake--so rub it out!
I normally fold-n-stuff or rub out based on which pipe/blend combo I have. Some just don't burn well in flake form. And my big problem with cube cutting is it just takes longer than I normally care to put in before my smoke. One nice thing about flakes is you can fold-n-stuff, and it can be the quickest pack available!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Why bother with a flake if you're going to rub it out and/or pulverize it? Defeats the whole purpose. Why not just buy a ready-rubbed?
Must have missed the thread where this was beaten to death, so I'll bite...
Mostly because there are some very interesting sounding flakes out there that aren't sold as "ready-rubbed", and because I'm still new at this. :P
I swear I'll try cube-cutting soon, but for now it's easier to find my hands than a pair of scissors in my tobacco storage area.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Phred, fold a flake length wise a couple times, then rip off little chunks from the end. I like to think of this as "simulated cube cutting".

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Phred, fold a flake length wise a couple times, then rip off little chunks from the end. I like to think of this as "simulated cube cutting".
Or carry a pocket knife. Then you don't need to find scissors...just a table you don't mind cutting on!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I do a slight rub and stuff method, and tamp just like any other tobacco, though sometimes you have to shepherd stragglers back into the bowl.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Undecegon, not to be contentious- you make a good point. Or rather, you've helped me make my point. My reasoning behind my "simulated cube cutting" method, besides giving me the opportunity to call something "my method", is that you get a cube cut effect without the hassle (for me, it's a hassle. It's personal preference after all, men) of having to use anything to smoke but the bare necessities. Pipe, tobacco, lighter, fingers, and arguably, a tamper.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hmm, Newb input where flakes are concerned. I just 'sorta rub em a bit' and stuff them in the pipe. Smokes fine to me.
Based on this though, it seems like I am missing out on the finer points.
I have one of those Swiss Army credit card thingies with scissors in my wallet. I think I shall begin Cube cutting.
I love this forum!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
wf, I keep a pair of scissors right by my pipes and tobacco and just use those. The swiss army ones may be a bit small, but check it to see how they work. I used to just break apart my flakes with my fingers into big chunks if I was not folding and stuffing, but I found I get a much more consistent burn with the cube cut method. Let us know what you think after trying it.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Well since this thread has been necroed and I've smoked a few flakes I should put my .02 in. When I first started smoking flakes I rubbed em out. Now I cube cut and tamp before relighting regardless of how I pack it.

Status
Not open for further replies.