PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
My brass tipped tamper gets covered in black soot that is sometimes hard to clean. What is the best method method for cleaning brass back to it's original shine?

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
LICK IT! HAHAHAH naw man I am just joshing ya! What I hate is when I am wearing nice clothes out, use my tamper and forget to wipe it off before laying on my lap! White shorts with black sumdges now lol. Or you get the black from your tamper on your face some how lol.
I know you are referring to something probably different but sometimes the tamper getting covered in soot is often over looked while up town in the car smoking a pipe and can get messy!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Back when I was working on a rifle range, we used Brasso on the brass bits of the black powder rifles - and trust me, the smoke and soot from black powder does NOT want to come off... :D

pjhicks

Lurker
Nov 16, 2010
I like the black sock method!! I work in printing so there are always some alcohol based cleaners nearby that I can clean my pewter tamper with. Or the inside of my work shirts!

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
If you don't have any brasso at home, first try this:
Make a paste with lemon juice and baking soda, cake it on there and scrub it till it cleans up.
I use this to clean a zippo whenever it gets sticky, have never used it to get a full buff, but there's a good chance that it'll work. You might have to leave it on the affected area to "soak" for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.