PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Last week, I had no customer tampers, just a few lowly Brebbia pipe nails. Today, I suddenly have a collection of three custom tampers as gifts from forum members.
Winton sent me the two on the left and right of the photo, which he made himself! (and originator of the "Tamper Exchange" thread). The multi-colored piece is made from rolling pin material and is fascinating. Winton and I had a USPS issue, yet unresolved and he was "testing" the mail to me - which was fortunately successful! Thanks so much Winton.
Nola Cajun (Toby) and I met last week in New Orleans and he gifted me this wonderful tamper made by Davorin Denovic, an artist he distributes pipes for on the East Coast.
Thanks so much fellows!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice Al ! I like the Rolling pin material Winton used ! Is the Davorin Morta?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Al, I am glad you like the tampers. I think that the Mods here do a great job and like to thank them for their efforts.
Ed, The other tamper also has a fun story. I found a cutting board at a garage sale for $5. I have no idea what tree it came from, but much of the board was curly. It is amazing what is available if you keep your eyes open.
Winton

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Very cool!! I'm sort of on the same page - I don't have any tampers other than some golf tees I use, lol. I may have to start looking into getting some custom tampers in the near future. Congrats!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Ed, The other tamper also has a fun story. I found a cutting board at a garage sale for $5. I have no idea what tree it came from, but much of the board was curly. It is amazing what is available if you keep your eyes open.
Very True John! When I do get to a flea market etc. I keep an eye out for things to use for tampers, mostly older kitchen utensils With nice Bakelite or plastic handles. Never occurred to me to look for such things as cutting boards!! I wondered what the wood was in that tamper.It has a nice grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.