PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Today, I've been given a piece of advice.
The man, a master blender and pipe smoker for 50 years, wrote this to me: when you light or relight the pipe, always tamp and puff at the same time, to align and horizontally distribute the ember.
I've always tamped before a light, or in the middle of the smoke, never during the light.
What do you think?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Well I learn something new all the time. I’ll admit that I usually tamp and then light based on habit. I’ll give this more practice.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Yep, I will do the initial light, take a few puffs then lightly tamp down so it's all even, then light the bowl again. Makes it much harder for burning pieces of tobacco to take flight and destroy something, like my shirts (with burn holes). lol

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OK, except the "always". Some times I tamp before the re-light, sometimes after, sometimes while puffing, sometimes not. Sometimes while clenching, sometimes holding it in one hand. And I don't think I tamp a huge amount. (?)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I always tamp before a relight, and use the tamper to guide the ember in a downward spiral down the chamber.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Hmmmm. Ok, I'll try it. Like I guess everybody else who was taught to properly smoke by a tobacconist, for me it's always been char-light,tamp, light again, unless it burns solid the first time (depends on the leaf). I'll try to try this & see how it works for me.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
I'll definitely try it... But fear my pipes would suffer for the attempt. I don't think I'm coordinated enough to light and tamp at the same time, while not having my pipe in hand.... And not coordinated enough to hold and tamp a pipe with one hand!

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Some clarification, since my english is terrible. You have to tamp and puff immediately after you finish lighting, not at the same time. (according to him, blow off the match and tamp).

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
I don't think I'm coordinated enough to light and tamp at the same time
Thought I was the only one!
I’ve always tamped after lighting as well; the tobacco tends to puff up (even after a charring light and tamp), and seems to disperse the ember otherwise

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I had to stop and think about it, but this is my method: Initial light, tamp while puffing, second light. All bets are off for the relights. It depends on how well the tobacco is burning and drawing at the time. I hate to ruin a perfect draw with excessive tamping.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Same most times, except my initial light usually takes, and relights happen much later, when I tamp before the relight, or just after when I puff and tamp. Does that cover all the bases??

Status
Not open for further replies.