Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:   

Talk to me about Wrist Watches

(68 posts)
  1. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to wear a wristwatch all the time when I was a kid. Not sure why I needed to know the time; but then again I also used to carry a wallet even though I had no job and no money.

When I did get a job the day I turned 16, my parents gave me a cell phone, the better to keep track of me. Since I've always had a cell phone after that, I gradually fell out of the habit of wearing a watch.

Now that I drive long-haul, I often have moments where I second guess the timezone I'm in; did the phone clock change over back there, or not yet? Am I picking up the tower in Indiana, or the tower in Illinois? You get the idea.

So I'm rethinking wrist watches. Getting one and setting it to log-book time, so that I at least know what time it is somewhere. (And not just five o'clock...)

Got any watches you'd like to show and tell?

"An thou hast them, smoketh them!" -An Old Philosopher
    Posted 1 month ago #
  2. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can set your cell phone to switch time zones automatically.

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Haven't worn a watch in about 10 years. I have 7 or 8 of them. All with dead batteries.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, it does that by default. The problem is that I don't know whether it's already done it or not. Generally speaking, the local time of my appointment matters way more than the time in the time zone I happen to be in.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Citizen Eco-Drive Titanium. Owned it since 2005. It charges by solar energy. It has never quit, unless you put it in the dark of course. A jeweler friend gave me the advice to buy it. He wasn’t wrong.

Jason
    Posted 1 month ago #
  6. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How will you know your watch has done it or not? Works the same as your phone. I've found the phone to be quite accurate.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

I admit I am a watch guy. The engineer in me likes the workings of automatic watches so that is my preference. For your uses there are some watches, Citizen comes to mind, that sync timezones from your phone through Bluetooth. Even without a phone they still function. Might be a good feature for your usage. Edifice (Casio) has something similar I think. Otherwise a watch with a gmt hand may work, but harder to read exact time on. With the gmt hand you always have a constant time reference.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a bit of a watch guy. Basically all wristwatches fall into two categories: quartz and mechanical.

Quartz watches are generally cheaper and are basically always more accurate than mechanical. They run off a battery, and lots of serious watch guys think all quartz watches are created equal. You might pay more money for fit and finish, but basically any quartz watch is exactly as functional as a good old Timex.

Mechanical watches run off springs and gears. They don't have batteries, so they never 'die', unless there's a mechanical breakdown. The tradeoff is they're less accurate, and generally more expensive. High end brands like Rolex, Breitling, etc. specialize in mechanical watches, esp. 'automatic' watches, which are powered by the motion of the wearer's wrist winding a mainspring.

If you want to spend under $200, buy a quartz watch. If you want to go over $500, buy an automatic. After you make that decision, it really comes down to aesthetics.

I generally keep three watches: a big chunky plastic watch (like a G-Shock) I wear for exercising and very casual situations, a mechanical dive watch for most activities, and a slimmer 'dress watch' for things like church on Sundays and when I wear a suit.

Most of the time I wear a rough and ready Seiko SKX007 dive watch like this:

You can pick one up for around $200. But don't feel like you have to spend a ton of money to have a watch you enjoy. I've had many Timexes which gave as much or more enjoyment as watches costing many times more. It's just like pipes-- some guys have huge collections of old Dunhills, and some have two cobs and some Carter Hall. Both guys enjoy their pipes, and one isn't a superior experience to the other; it's just different.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 1 month ago #
  9. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You drive professionally? Aren't you required to keep a log recording your hours. You must know when you cross a time zone. Most phones use GPS for locations, trust it.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  10. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

SKX007 on a NATO band... classic. That's a great watch. I've got a Black Monster with the same movement.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. cshubhra

cshubhra

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A smartphone clock application will show you time in multiple cities.

If you really want a watch, it can range from 5$ to multiple thousands and anywhere in between and they all keep good time.

I don’t wear a watch for last 3/4 years (Wear a Fitbit which doubles as a watch) My best watches are a Tissot chronometer, and DKNY chronometer. I have owned the Tissot for 12+ years and DKNY for 17+ years.

Everyone will have different tastes in watches - however there are mainly three types now

A. Automatic Mechanical - These are generally very expensive and collectibles - Like Rolex, Omega, etc...
    B. Quartz - can be found for 5$ but also can be expensive. This is what most people wear
    C. Smart Watch - Like Apple Watch

Earlier there were manual winding mechanical watches, but these I think are no longer generally available.

While wristwatches are most common, pocket watches have made a comeback.

Finally collectible vintage watches by famous makers, command a huge price.

That was an watch 101.

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I say "log-book time", I mean the timezone that my company is headquartered in. The watch would always be in Central Time (good old Lincoln, NE), because then there's no uncertainty about the data. I wouldn't have to wonder which time zone is being reported (I know it sounds stupid, but I sometimes don't know which time zone I'm in).

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are hundreds of apps you can download for free, on your cell phone, to do that for you.

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jason, that suggestion is looking good, thank you!

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm a big fan of watches. I don't have any that are worth any money so I'm not THAT much into it. But GShocks are my favorite these days. I have to have an accurate watch for work on the railroad, that will withstand some serious abuse. Digital is best for me, for fast reading. Day, date, and 24hr time is all very important at work. And mine is 200m waterproof, shockproof, damn near indestructible, solar powered and atomic, so no batteries, and it syncs to the correct time every midnight. All for about 80$.

However, the timezones, needs to be changed manually. So that won't help you there. Guess I just like to hear myself talk sometimes.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 month ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I have gone watchless and relied on my phone, I wasted tons of time. Everytime I would need a clock, I'd end up checking email, messages, social media, and then put it back in my pocket, and then wonder what time it was, then lather, rince, repeat. Now that I wear a watch, I tend to leave my phone in the house when working in the garden or doing anything outside. It is just more convenient for me to keep an eye on my watch while working at my workbench also. I have to soak something for five minute, I just look at my wrist, instead of having to look for my phone.

The whole idea of technology was to save time, but they tend to be time-sucks for me. Anything that saves me from looking at the phone is a positive in my opinion. I am hoping one day that I can just avoid even carrying the thing for days on end.

Plus, having a watch makes me more aware of how long things take, and I can be more aware of time. Whereas with my phone, I rarely ever even acknowledge the time on it, because of all of the distractions the thing has built in to make me more addicted to the damned thing.

I have a collection of watches. My most worn work watch this summer has been an Citizens Eco stainless. I hate for my watches to have anything besides the time. Even date windows are a turn off for me. But, I also have many Timex watches with a fondness for the classic vintage Marlins. With a few Seikos, Victorinox, and a few others that I just wear on special occasions. But the Timex Marlin has a special place in my heart, as it requires discipline in keeping it wound and can take a licking and keep on ticking.

Michael
    Posted 1 month ago #
  17. yuda

yuda

Login to Send PM

I wore a watch since Middle School and it's been practical throughout my time in the Marines because it's more acceptable to check my watch rather than stop to pull out my phone and risk getting an earful from some old SNCO because "you're a grown ass man, get off your fukkin phone" and so on. Peculiararities of my elders aside, it helps a lot when i can't have my phone on me and I look forward to having a nice watch when I'm out that isn't some chicken POS(maybe when I'm rich and famous)

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Watches all the way. My wrist just feels naked without it.

Smart Dumb phones... I've already started to hate them.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 month ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Worn one ever since I was 10 years old now 62 never be with out one on my wrist.

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 6 watches, a casio g shock I wear when hunting, a tissot, an atlantic, a maurice lacroix, a swatch and a vostok, all being worn according to my attire at work. I have worn a watch since a small child, and I feel pretty naked without one. I was long pondering buying a smart watch, although I am afraid that I would get even more tied up to my phone, which due to work is a stress factor in my life. I am not sure I want that ...

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 month ago #
  21. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I totally agree with Cosmic about the "watch vs. phone" dilemma. I think having a watch as a default time keeper would be an excellent idea for the OP's use.
    Recommending a watch is like recommending a pipe. It all comes down to personal taste. I am a carpenter and I routinely break phones and ruin my clothes, so I keep a sturdy g-shock digital for work and a prettier not digital for leisure. One is enough, really, but I got the pretty one as a birthday present, so I use it.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  22. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

This part of my wrist saw sun yesterday for the first time in 3 years. I tried to even out the tan, while holding my watch in the other hand. But that was only for like 2 minutes and then I put my watch back on.

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

G.L. Pease is a serious watch fan. Maybe as serious about watches as he is about tobacco? Is there a connection?

I carried a Swiss pocket watch for years and years because I don't like having anything on my wrist, but had to put it aside when I started spending so much time around PTO driveshafts. Same reason I don't wear a scarf.

Non Serviam
    Posted 1 month ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

I've worn a wrist watch since the 4th grade (1984), and the very few that I own have been gifted to me. Ironically enough, the one watch that I keep falling back to is an old Russian officer's wrist watch I received as a gift from a pen pal of my grandfather's in the late 1980s. As long as I remember to wind it every morning before putting it on, it's been extremely accurate and reliable for the last 30 years.

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the responses, guys. I go home next month (been out since April...my own choice), so I'll make a decision by then. I'm realizing that upon reflection my previous work never really allowed me to wear a watch, as it was either kitchen work or hot, grimy, dirty manual labor. This is also far and away my best income ever (doubled in 6 months what I was getting before), and so partially the watch is a tasteful symbol of looking forward. Right now that Citizen Jason mentioned has my eye.

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you have an iPhone, the clock option/app has a world clock which would provide the solution you described you were looking for. Sounds more like you're just trying to justify purchasing a watch. Go for it.

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

My Citizen Nighthawk. I wear this one a lot at work. It is also solar powered and has been very accurate. Personally I like the blackout look but it is worthless as tits on a boar in the dark. I do like watches with very bright lume, which this one does not have. The above mentioned Seiko dive watch would glow in the dark throughout the night if that is important to you. If night time glow is important look at light up watches, Seiko dive watches, or watches with Superluminova or something equivalent (or tritium lume if you want to spend that). This watch would be hard to read in a dark cab.

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I used to sell 'em. I probably still have two or three that haven't been worn in several decades, a couple of Tissots, if I remember.
    Generally didn't need a watch as I had the ability to know, within a few minutes, whatever the time was. To the extent I still care, my cell phone does fine for me.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 month ago #
  29. retrogrouch

retrogrouch

Login to Send PM

Quartz watches can keep better time than mechanical watches as long as they have batteries. That said, I am a fan of automatics and have worn them since the '70s. The watch brand I have been wearing for the last 15 years or so is Orient. They have given good service at a reasonable price. You might want to search them and see what you find.

Posted 1 month ago #
  30. taildraggin

taildraggin

Login to Send PM

I stopped wearing a watch with the first iphone, partially though to avoid the tyranny of time watching. I took off the dog collar. Functionally, the smartphone ended the need, though.

But, I got an Apple Watch in for my bday and it has not been off my wrist since. It’s not as “necessary” as the phone, but augments it well. It’s become almost must-have for me, though.

That said, it’s not really a watch. Just a shrunk phone with size-related constraints. Coming full circle, it’s obvious to me that it will replace the phone not too long from now, for me anyway. The watch and an ipad will specialize in what I use a smartphone for, better. The cost is justifiable to my use.

As a gadget, it’s really good, but it is more than a gadget.

Daily example: i was helping a buddy cut and bale straw last week and left my phone in the car (things get broken in the field). We were way out in the filed and I called the hand to get more fuel for the tractor. Would have been a long walk on a hot day. #2 - I have a sleep app to monitor my messed up sleeping pattern. #3 It is the bomb to pay for gas or items at the supermarket or hardware store (Apple Pay). “Would you like a reciep...” Gone. #3 music and map driving directions on my motorcycle, w/o any crap mounted to the bike... Mail, texts, appointments, bank balances, TV remote, Sirius / Pandora remote, unlocks MacBook, on and on.

Posted 1 month ago #
  31. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jason, that suggestion is looking good, thank you!

You're welcome. As a side note the jeweler I mentioned sold high end watches as well as Citizens/etc. so he could with confidence recommend them.

Posted 1 month ago #
  32. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm really spoiled to the dive watch's unidirectional bezel. For 90% of my timing needs, I only need to be accurate to within a minute or so (distance runs, cooking, etc.), and a diving bezel is so idiot-proof and easy to set.

It's like having a sunroof in a car-- I never realized how much I would use it until I had it available.

Posted 1 month ago #
  33. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Think I'll go with this one. Simple unfussy face, good illumination, titanium plated with cordura band. Thanks again!

Posted 1 month ago #
  34. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice.

Posted 1 month ago #
  35. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a so-called "Steve McQueen Rolex" (Explorer 1655) that was bought several years before it became famous.

Because few were sold (the model lasted only a relatively short time), and THEN came the movie star connection, it was a Perfect Storm for collectors.

Truly new and in-the-box examples sell for stupid money, and even rough ones are still worth a substantial amount.

Because mine needs to be cleaned, though, and getting that done these days would cost several times what I paid for it new, it just sits in a box.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 month ago #
  36. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Never been able to stand them. It feels like wearing a cast on my wrist to me. Time sucks.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 month ago #
  37. danish

danish

Login to Send PM

I love wrist watches. Preferably (relatively affordable) automatic Swiss ones from the sixties. That's what I am wearing every day, since I was a kid in the sixties I do not find it very smart looking at your phone, just to know the time. Especially at the job, meetings or social gatherings. Contrary to my colleagues, I survived so many years, as a businessman, without having a mobile phone. Until my curiosity made me buy a smartphone. Now I am almost as addicted to that smartphone, as everyone else. But I still wear my old wrist watch.

Posted 1 month ago #
  38. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

Never been able to stand them. It feels like wearing a cast on my wrist to me. Time sucks.

I have a few friends who feel the same way; however, I'm the opposite, I love watches and even though I will have my mobile (aka cell phone) with me I will never check it for time (unless I need to double check something in another time zone - but a couple of my watches are dual time zone - or three if you include GMT/Zulu time).

Every day wear is a Casio Geoshock. I've got three solar versions which are synched to GPS so accurate and self adjusting as I travel.

For business I usually were a Citizen Eco-Drive Titanium which syncs to one of several atomic clock time signals world wide (pre-dates the later GPS synched versions).

For posh business or when dressed up then it's a Tissot Titanium Touch Solar.

I have a drawer load of watches that take batteries but most need new batteries.

I have a few quicky watches too:

swatch with fixed hands and moving numbers (the hands always read 10 min to 2 if you don't read the numbers; quirky, easy enough to get used to and confuses the hell out of people who insist on asking me the time...)

a French 'left handed' watch. i.e. it runs anti-clockwise (counter clockwise if you prefer). I wore that as my work watch for many years. Makes perfect sense to me, I'm left handed and wear watches on my right wrist...

a couple of Russian manual wound fob watches. Replicas of various Soviet medals on the cases; they keep reasonable time but not too practical

a Swiss Railway clock face watch. Probably has the clearest watch face of pretty much watch I've ever seen. If only it were solar powered. Reminds me; I must get it a new battery.

My Citizen Nighthawk. I wear this one a lot at work. It is also solar powered and has been very accurate. Personally I like the blackout look but it is worthless as tits on a boar in the dark.
    I've been thinking of getting one of those for a while - don't need it but I do like the look!

Posted 1 month ago #
  39. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

The only watch I own is a swiss pocketwatch with the Matterhorn on it I bought when I was there in 2002. It no longer works, but it sure looks cool on the wall in the study.

Posted 1 month ago #
  40. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

elbert, pretty sure that Citizen has a sapphire crystal. Very nice for its scratch resistance. I have a dive watch with a sapphire crystal which is awesome as it stays scratch free. Unfortunately it is also a titanium watch which is not so scratch free. The light weight of titanium is nice though.

Posted 1 month ago #
  41. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Watches also offer a whole host of social cues. When someone has stopped me to chatter about something, occasionally glancing at my watch can make a conversation come more quickly to an end. Glancing at my watch when looking for directions can solicit help, or explain my trespassing. Whereas pulling out your phone in a meeting might look rude as if your checking on something in social media, looking at your watch can show that you have a more serious concern.
    Watches offer more than just time. I feel naked without mine. Plus, a nice watch can start conversation, and much much more.

Posted 1 month ago #
  42. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

. Been wearing this one for almost 40yrs, first thing on in morning, last thing off at night.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 month ago #
  43. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You motivated me to go box-digging, Old Cajun.

I think your model replaced mine because people complained its face was too cluttered and the orange hand looked tacky.

Over 40 years here, but I stopped wearing it a decade ago when I found out what cleaning & tuning would co$t.

Posted 1 month ago #
  44. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Georged mine came with a white dial and silver hands, impossible to clearly see, went to where I bought it and had a black face and white hands put on, kept the original and papers, box in my chest. Just for your info. Had it serviced 2 times, last time Owner of Paul's Jewerly store was there when I picked it up, had my USS IOWA hat on, he asked if I was a vet, told him I was and a 600$ bill turned into a 200$ bill. There's still good people in this world.

Posted 1 month ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

https://reactorwatch.com/

These aren’t for everyone but they’re the only watch I trust not to fall apart in daily activities (livestock, heavy equipment, washing dishes).
    The internals are mostly unspectacular so you are paying a hefty premium for what amounts to some extra QC and a bolt holding the band instead of a spring pin, but I’ve just never heard anything positive enough about build quality from any other manufacturer (outside of say, Rolex) to have confidence buying anything else.

When I was younger I would wear a watch to bed, these are well beyond that kind of comfort level, and to be honest I haven’t worn my watches recently, but I do still look at their new releases every year (even though I have two already) because I know that unlike almost every other watch on the market these are not created to be disposable.
    (Be on the lookout for discontinued models and you can save a good chunk of change.)

Posted 1 month ago #
  46. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stopped with wrist watches when I stopped refereeing lacrosse about six years ago. Almost always have phone with me, with time accurate to the second.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  47. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+ 1 for Olkofri,I used to carry pocket watches back then but as of today I decided to follow the fashion and moved forward to wearing mechanical self-winding watches, such as Eternas &Atlantic brands, I'd truly love to get an old Illinois or Elgin silver pocket watch 'railroad watch with effective looking silver chains but those are rare event especially here across the pond

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 month ago #
  48. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're wearing a watch these days, it's probably for fashion or you don't carry a phone. So wear whatever you like and can afford.

I really don't wear any jewelry, ever. But, I have a old 1920's Hamilton MIB that I really like. Also have a Shinola (American made in Detroit) that I wear when I want some bling.

Nothing wrong with knock off's BTW. I have had a couple of fake Cartier's that worked for quite a while. lol

Posted 1 month ago #
  49. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I've become a pretty big watch junkie...

Wife bought me this Accutron Chronograph for our 25th wedding anniversary. I had a buddy who put a new ETA movement in it last year (quartz, it simply failed).

I've owned this Seiko Quartz 200 mm diver since the early 1990's, it gets a battery every few years. I put a new bezel and bracelet on it a few years ago and it's my beater watch. On a NATO for use this summer.

Damasko DS30, love the German style. On an Erika's MN strap.

Dress diver for work, Longines Hydroconquest

Squale 1521, because everyone needs an orange diver. On a Staib mesh bracelet, a work of art in itself.

My Holy Grail, a Doxa 1200T Sharkhunter. My Uncle was a fish camp guide and always wore a Doxa in the 70's, because that is what Jacques Cousteau wore.

I think I have a problem.....

Al

Posted 1 month ago #
  50. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

I wear a simple steel Rolex Date I inherited. And I have a smart watch in the mail, a gift I'm going to have to pretend to like.

Posted 1 month ago #
  51. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wear a Seiko chronograph which replaced the previous one that I wore for 27 years until it died. It cost more to repair it than it would to buy a new one, so I bought a new one. I have a dress silver Superman watch m'lady bought me 25 years ago and occasionally, I switch what I wear for the fun of it. I've been wearing a watch since I was five years old, and can't live without one. I don't carry a phone and even if I did, I wouldn't stop wearing a watch.

Posted 1 month ago #
  52. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got a few that have stopped working. You may know the brand. Anachronism.

Posted 1 month ago #
  53. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

ssjones, that's a great looking Seiko. I have a similar watch problem...

I'm a sucker for good NATO strap.

But I really like it when they glow!

Posted 1 month ago #
  54. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

@elessar - try an Erika's MN and it tough to go back to a NATO.

Posted 1 month ago #
  55. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

ssjones, thanks for tip on the Erika's MN. I had never heard of them before but they look pretty awesome. I could imagine that a bit of elasticity would make for better fit than a NATO style where there are only incremental sizes.

Posted 1 month ago #
  56. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

those are very nice looking military' style watches
    @Hugidrax,would You mind to clarify me what is this so called smart watch' suppose to be, is it something to be wear while one is at sporting activities?

Posted 1 month ago #
  57. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

From one Paul to another, yes. It's a Garmin vivoactive 3, which does all kinds of sporty things like measure your heartrate, track sleep patterns, count steps, program fitnessy he-man woman-hating things. And it still manages to be spectacularly ugly.

Posted 1 month ago #
  58. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Double.

Posted 1 month ago #
  59. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Well, as I stated above, haven't worn a watch in years.

Today, I received a box on my porch from Amazon. Inside was a new Citizen Eco Drive Diver's 200m

So, I guess, I'm a watch wearer again.

Posted 1 month ago #
  60. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Great choice Redglow!

Posted 1 month ago #
  61. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love watches. I wear one all the time. I'm partial to dive watches, but will wear any kind. I own 30ish watches. Seiko, Citizen, Casio, no-name, etc.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  62. lukasstrifeson

Lukas the Trickster

Login to Send PM

LOL... Pipe smokers lamenting the "outdated" and "obsolete" wrist watch is endlessly humorous.

@puffpuffpokerclub

"The answers lie in the flames." - E.E. Twain
    Posted 1 month ago #
  63. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wish I had kept all my Swatch watches, the bands etc.

I have a Tag Heure but only wear it on an evening out.

Posted 1 month ago #
  64. shayde

shayde

Login to Send PM

Just like in pipes there exists a watch snobbery. I would suggest a good Seiko 5 for an everyday watch. They are automatic which is a plus in book.

Intended to read with as much snobbery and arrogance as possible:
    Quartz watches = Cobs
    Automatic watches = Briar
    Manual watches = Meerschaum

It’s not often you see someone with a manual watch, but it’s pretty much always neat.

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." -Robert W. Service
    Posted 1 month ago #
  65. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Thanks ssjones!

Actually, it was a gift from my brother. Out of the blue. He thought I needed a watch. So, it was a nice surprise!

Posted 1 month ago #
  66. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Hugodrax, Thank You for clarification, now I know what we were talking bout. those devices are in vogue'

Posted 1 month ago #
  67. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

I have worn the same Rolex Oyster Datejust for over 40 years. It is a very reliable watch, It has been in every environment possible. I have had it cleaned 3 times in 40 years. It is now worth many times what I paid for it. When my son graduated college I bought a Rolex, my grandson will graduate from West Point and I guess a Rolex is in the cards for him. In my military mind Rolex is the best watch ever.

Posted 1 month ago #
  68. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some magnificent watches out there, suitable family heirlooms and space technology chronometers. Now for a note from Budget Boy (me). I am wearing an extremely dependable Swiss made Wenger that I've had for maybe five years that keeps perfect time and looks brand new. I think it was sixty bucks online. Recommended. No Rolex or even Apple, but just right for me. I like full Arabic numbering for those time-checks at a wakeful 3 a.m. I don't want bells and whistles. I like a fairly large face. I don't use digital, though I have several other watches. This is an extra basic approach, but it suits me. I wear one of my watches all the time, as noted even all night. Well, I do take it off when I shower. When I want to go as avant guard as I get, I wear a numberless watch from the Modern Museum of Art, entirely black face, one red line at the top for the twelve.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bnichols23, bluegrassbrian, jeff540, jchaplick, k9shag, aquadoc, pianopuffer, armonts