PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
When I first started smoking a pipe they were meerschaum pipes back in 1998. Unfortunately they were lost in the sandbox and I am thinking of getting a pipe or two. What should one look for in a quality meerschaum pipe? I know there are pressed blocks as well as natural blocks. One I am looking at is http://www.eacarey.com/5307k.html.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You pretty much have to trust the vendor when buying on-line. Stick with reputable retailers, those listed in the left margin generally seem look after their customers, as pictures are no substitute to fondling and inspecting.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I'm a big fan of Altinok Pipes. Own 2, getting ready to buy this one: http://altinokmeerschaumpipes.com/detail.asp?product_id=FP106
Very nice quality and excellent smokers.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
http://www.meerschaumstore.com/ they also frequent this forum. I believe under the alias meerqueen.

Wow, in checking out these links, it looks like meerschaums are going up in prices significantly, just in the last year or so. I remember when, only months ago, you could buy a block meerschaum pipe for $60-120 at best. And, $120 would get you one of those flowery meers with a couple of different stems and a case. I don't have one, but am not against getting one. I just have been super picky all of this time. They aren't crazy "out of reach" or anything.

:::sigh::: anyways, one hasn't "spoken" to me yet. When I hold them at the B&M or at the pipe show, they just don't feel right in my hand. That makes me super skeptical of ordering online.

Oh well, good thing I am super in love with briar.
Good luck with your search.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
IMP, WGN, and AKB are very good block meer pipes. IMP went under and their lead carver started WGN, but they can still be found from time to time.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
For me, the draft inside diameters of most meerschaums are too small ...and usually unalterable.

It's like sucking through a swizzle stick, and makes for a hot, wet smoke.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
I would like to get a nice meerschaum, myself. I have one that my parents brought back from a trip to Turkey several years ago, but it doesn't get smoked that much. Cosmic, I agree, the prices just seem to be going up. Even on briars. My first two briars, a Boswell and a Brebbia Pura, were $40 each in the late '90's. Every time I look at a meerschaum I end up thinking I'll just put that money into another briar instead. And here I am trying to build up a nice collection that will be "grandpa's pipes" for passing down someday. Thus, I digress. Sigh...

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I have one like the bulldog in your link at the top. I purchased it from my B&M. He had picked it up at the pipe show. Smokes fantastic! I do not care for most of carving and I like them as plain as that one.

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
I have 4 Altinoks and 1 IMP that are all fine smokers. They use a Delrin push tenon and a 4mm draft, about 5/32". I too like smooth finish, classic shapes like billiards and prince like shapes.
In the past I have tried bargain meers in the $45.00 - $80.00 price range and they all ended up in the trash.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Lets be honest :)

Meerqueen in diamond series are the best meerschaum pipes you can own.

- Briar type teflon tenon connection

- Grade of block meerschaum is 6 out of 6

- Workmanship is 6 out of 6

- Lightest block meerschaum ever

- Signed by master artisans

- Life time warranty

- Customisation is available

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I am definitely excited for my pipe coming from meerqueen. I am having a replica pipe made of my favorite briar. I will post pictures when it is completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.