PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
On my birthday last Christmas I was given several single malts, all of which I was familiar with other than Talisker Skye Single Malt which I welcomed as a new to me scotch.
I had my first glass two nights ago and got quite a surprise. I like just a splash of tap water on my scotch and so I did then. It was only when I sat down to enjoy it I spied it had gone rather murkey, cloudy!
I immediately suspected my water was at fault so got a fresh glass and tested the water.....it was crystal clear! This puzzled me.
Same thing last night, cloudy scotch. Has anyone here ever experienced this and if so what is going on?
As for the taste, it was ok, rather peaty and not as nice as Jura or Cardhu but still drinkable.
Regards,
Jay.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Jay, what was the rough temp of the water you added? Did the cloudiness dissipate spontaneously?

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Jay - Talisker Skye is not chill filtered. This article explains the chemistry of it:
http://www.maltmaniacs.net/E-pistles/Malt-Maniacs-2011-06-Chill-filtration-and-cloud-formation-in-whisky.pdf
Nothing wrong with your whisky or your water.
If you aren't convinced, bung me the bottle and I will give you a second opinion :mrgreen:
Mike

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Many thanks for the link Mike.....all is now clear......pun intended :wink:
That said, I'm not sure why there is a picture of a drunken sperm in 'Diagram 1' 8O
"If you aren't convinced, bung me the bottle and I will give you a second opinion."
Thanks, your kindness knows no bounds :D
Now let's see how long this thread lasts before it is politicized and shut down.
Regards,
Jay.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
I noticed that once in an islay. I be love the campfire peaty islays. l

Laphroig for one. However my favorite is still The Macallan.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yep, when it cloudy the product is pure.
I love Ardbeg. It clouds up.
Has anyone tried blended Scotch from Compass Box? The one I picked up was good. I prefer single malt, but a high quality blend at the right price helps make the Single malt scotch last awhile longer.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Eric, your words speak volumes with such erudition too :wink:
Thanks to Mike's link I have solved not just why my Talisker gets cloudy but why absinthe also does the same.
For anyone too lazy to read the PDF document I would seriously recommend you do as so much is explained in a very short article.
Regards,
Jay.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
When Absinthe is intoduced to water it has an oil in water effect. It's the anethole. It's actually millions of tiny oily bubbles.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Concise writing is a specialty of mine, Jay. Actually, I had written a pun about your post going political and then thought better of it.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
perdurabo - I have tasted various Compass Box offerings. All were high quality and I would have no hesitation in recommending them. Having said that, I still think the gold standard for blended Scotch is Johnny Walker Black.
Mike

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
If I buy a blend I got for Monkey Shoulder, but my favorite single malt is Glengoyne. A great tasting inexpensive $30 single malt is Aberfeldy.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I'm a big fan of peat. I spent a few years trying as many as I could keeping a lot of different types of Islay whisky on hand before I realized that for the money and availability Laphroiag 10 couldn't be beat in my opinion. Oddly enough I'm more of a VA or VA/per fan and only occasionally reach for the smokey Latakia blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.