Talisker Skye Single Malt Whisky.

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mawnansmiff
  • Latest reply from skydog
  1. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On my birthday last Christmas I was given several single malts, all of which I was familiar with other than Talisker Skye Single Malt which I welcomed as a new to me scotch.

I had my first glass two nights ago and got quite a surprise. I like just a splash of tap water on my scotch and so I did then. It was only when I sat down to enjoy it I spied it had gone rather murkey, cloudy!

I immediately suspected my water was at fault so got a fresh glass and tested the water.....it was crystal clear! This puzzled me.

Same thing last night, cloudy scotch. Has anyone here ever experienced this and if so what is going on?

As for the taste, it was ok, rather peaty and not as nice as Jura or Cardhu but still drinkable.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jay, what was the rough temp of the water you added? Did the cloudiness dissipate spontaneously?

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

Jay - Talisker Skye is not chill filtered. This article explains the chemistry of it:

http://www.maltmaniacs.net/E-pistles/Malt-Maniacs-2011-06-Chill-filtration-and-cloud-formation-in-whisky.pdf

Nothing wrong with your whisky or your water.

If you aren't convinced, bung me the bottle and I will give you a second opinion

Mike

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Didache, sounds right to me - nice to meet another "Malt Maniac"!

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many thanks for the link Mike.....all is now clear......pun intended

That said, I'm not sure why there is a picture of a drunken sperm in 'Diagram 1'

"If you aren't convinced, bung me the bottle and I will give you a second opinion."

Thanks, your kindness knows no bounds

Now let's see how long this thread lasts before it is politicized and shut down.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. filmshooter

filmshooter

Login to Send PM

I noticed that once in an islay. I be love the campfire peaty islays. l
    Laphroig for one. However my favorite is still The Macallan.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, when it cloudy the product is pure.

I love Ardbeg. It clouds up.

Has anyone tried blended Scotch from Compass Box? The one I picked up was good. I prefer single malt, but a high quality blend at the right price helps make the Single malt scotch last awhile longer.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Eric, your words speak volumes with such erudition too

Thanks to Mike's link I have solved not just why my Talisker gets cloudy but why absinthe also does the same.

For anyone too lazy to read the PDF document I would seriously recommend you do as so much is explained in a very short article.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When Absinthe is intoduced to water it has an oil in water effect. It's the anethole. It's actually millions of tiny oily bubbles.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Concise writing is a specialty of mine, Jay. Actually, I had written a pun about your post going political and then thought better of it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

perdurabo - I have tasted various Compass Box offerings. All were high quality and I would have no hesitation in recommending them. Having said that, I still think the gold standard for blended Scotch is Johnny Walker Black.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My preferred blended scotch is Whyte and Mackay, superior in taste to some single malts I've tried.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I buy a blend I got for Monkey Shoulder, but my favorite single malt is Glengoyne. A great tasting inexpensive $30 single malt is Aberfeldy.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

I'm a big fan of peat. I spent a few years trying as many as I could keeping a lot of different types of Islay whisky on hand before I realized that for the money and availability Laphroiag 10 couldn't be beat in my opinion. Oddly enough I'm more of a VA or VA/per fan and only occasionally reach for the smokey Latakia blends.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ebnash, tbradsim1, oldgeezersmoker, cossackjack, jaytex969, cshubhra, georged, nhhiggy