PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
In case it hasn't been obvious, I have a certain predilection for [Peterson] Mark Twain pipes. I was fortunate enough to pick up a couple of special ones several months back: A 1981 smooth, manufactured just after the numbered runs ― and a 1984 (a bit of Orwell to accompany my Twain) smooth ― both, unsmoked.
And that is where my conundrum begins: I can't bring myself to defile the virgin chambers. I know that, logically, a pipe ultimately has one purpose, to be broken in, and compulsively enjoyed ― but, I just feel so dirty.
Now, I'm sure someone would be willing to bear the indiscretion, and break the pipes in on my behalf, but it only seems right that I be their first.
Has anyone else found themselves admiring a pipe, strictly from the shelf? Have you been able to fight your own virtue and debase the memorable find? And, if so, do you have any advice in lessening the sting, when attempting to finally take the plunge?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Nope, I buy them to smoke them. The biggest part of admiring the art of a pipe is enjoying the smoke that a well made piece gives you. Just do it.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I don't mean to be cruel or insensitive, but we don't know how long any of us are going to traverse this mortal coil. Any one of us could drop dead at any time. Do you REALLY want some yahoo (relative, brother in law, stranger from ebay) to be the one to break in your darling virgin pipe? Take the plunge! As Hunter S. Thompson said,
"Buy the ticket, take the ride."
Enjoy your pipe my good sir. :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My gut instinct is with Warren, my aesthetic instinct with Jeffrey Deal.
There is something beautiful about the sacred, the "above all else," the sacrificial...
And so no, I wouldn't smoke them. Enjoy them as they are meant to be enjoyed for you, which is as gaping virgin orifices of briar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I indulge myself in stalling out on a first smoke with a new, or new-to-me, pipe now and then. I have a briar that's been lingering for few months, and a cob with a Forever stem that's been captive in the cabinet for more than a year. But I have no fear the time will come. There's some sort of occasion awaiting these two, and I just need the irrational prompt. I've bought a pipe or two in the meantime and gone ahead and fired them up. It's not preciousness about these pipes-in-waiting. It may be a particular tin getting opened, or a particularly challenging life incident that turns the crank, but turn it will. If I felt so much in awe of a pipe that I hesitated to smoke it, I'd keep it in the safe deposit box, I guess. I have to say, the comfort of familiar, fully broken in or accustomed (in the case of estates) pipes is the big luxury. When I break out one of my forty-year-old cookers, I know I'm in good hands.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
A little bit of this waiting can add to the whole experience but not that long for me. Its the same with tobacco. I'll only wait so long. The ritual must begin! ...at least with my patience level.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Has anyone else found themselves admiring a pipe, strictly from the shelf?
Never. A pipe is simply an implement to be stuffed with tobacco and smoked. That's like purchasing a Padron Anniversary cigar, etc. and placing it in your humidor just to occasionally open it up and look at it. If ya ain't gonna smoke it... then why buy it?

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I've got a few Dr. Grabow Colors that are unsmoked, but they're just collectables to me, I don't smoke any of them. I do have a couple of Bruyere St. Claudes that I haven't gotten around to smoking yet. Might be some estates that I haven't tried but for the most part I smoke em once I get em.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That the age-old dilemma. I try to not pay a premium for an unsmoked estate, as I'll just smoke it and immediately decrease the value. So far, I've never been able to resist the urge. I'd say if the pipe is valued at less than $300, you might as well smoke it.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Negative... A pipe is created to be smoked, so smoke it. It's like having a lamborghini and never driving it over 10mph ... You'll make it sad! ... So smoke the damn thing!

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I try to not pay a premium for an unsmoked estate
I hear you, the ones I collect are fairly common and I tell myself another will come along if the bidding gets to high. Surprisingly, a couple I was sure would go too high for me I scored for very little.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Has anyone else found themselves admiring a pipe, strictly from the shelf?
Absolutely! I read the statements of others about a pipe's "destiny" or "purpose" or other such nonsense, which nonsense it is, and say the pipe is yours, do what you want with it. I'm primarily a smoker, not a collector, so I smoke al,most all of my pipes. But I do have a few unsmoked pieces, some of them well over 100 year sold, and those I enjoy as unsmoked pieces of pipe history.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Collecting pipes is a whole different subject mater, which I can't afford much less having any interest in doing so. The only thing I've been collecting for these past ten years is a retirement pension each month.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
All of my Weaver's are lovely one of a kinds, and even before commissioning them, I had a tobacco chosen and standing by to smoke in them once they arrived.

nepenthe1

Lurker
Sep 20, 2012
I'm sure that you must have heard of the curse of having an unsmoked pipe in your home...

Don't let this curse visit your home...

Pack them full and puff away..

After all you only pass thru here once...

Status
Not open for further replies.