PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
Hello guys, me again!
Today I took apart my pipe for the first time to clean it up, to find out that there is a filter in it. It's quite difficult cleaning it out and I think it's partially clogged as well. Can I take it out?
oXyfvEJ.jpg

It's a Big Ben Ranger.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
That's called a stinger. It may be screwed in so taking it out should be easy although I've seen guys cut them off. It's supposed to reduce moisture. Either way, losing it won't affect the pipe and may improve your draw.

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
Argh, I tried everything and no avail in removing it. Any ideas on how I can get rid of it? I know it's clogged because it's doing a small popping when I inhale and exhale in it like something's moving inside.
EDIT: Nevermind, with a lot of tugging, a piece of cloth, and my teeth it came out nicely.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Stingers were a craze, I'm guessing especially in the 1950's, but perhaps earlier, when pipe smoking was a large industry and manufacturers were looking for a competitive edge. Stingers were a bragging point for getting a dryer, cooler smoke. Kaywoodie Drinkless pipes still have them, and they screw the shank and stem together so aren't removable; many other stingers just slide out, as did yours, with some persuasion. In Europe, 9 mm filters are still very popular, and some 6 mm filters as in Savenelli, but in the U.S. more people seem to prefer no filter. The only problem with pulling out filters and removable stingers is that it usually gives a wide open draw, which, depending on your taste, can put a lot of air into the smoke. Some like that, some don't. In most cases, you can find a 6 mm or 9 mm adaptor that closes the airflow a little without making it restrictive.

Reactions: Cap

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
Honestly, I like it better with increased airflow. I smoked two bowls an hour ago and it really was a lot better. A bit harder to light, but that may be connected to how I packed it up this time and not the stinger. Altogether I am enjoying my now-stinger-less pipe, and if I want a stronger smoke a slower draw seems to help that.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Now that you've got the removable stinger out you can clean it properly. It's just like any other piece of equipment. Keep it clean dry and serviceable and it won't give you any problems.
Does it provide for a cooler smoke? No, i don't think so. But one thing stingers do is keep small particles of tobacco or ash out mouth when you draw towards the end of the bowl. For that purpose alone I find them useful. I hate when that happens!
The only other reason is that the type of stinger used can give a clue as to the date of manufacture for older estate pipes. As a collector, I like to have them intact and I'll pay more for that.

Reactions: Cap

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
A no-name Billiard I got cheap from eBay had a stinger and I pulled it out with a pliers before the first smoke. The pipe has a narrow draw anyway, so with that stinger it would have been tighter, it sounds like. I pulled it because I'd already learned how useful getting a pipe cleaner down into the bowl during a smoke can sometimes be.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
I own a Mr. Brog Old Army No. 21, and it uses a stinger. I find that without it, even though it is a curved stem pipe you will get those lovely little treats in your mouth. I agree with what had been said about the draw.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
New production Kaywoodies will no longer have stingers. This is true even for the Drinkless line. All of them will now be a standard push stem with no stinger.
You can see the stinger less new production models at WV Smokeshop.

Sep 23, 2015
Georgia
I take the filters out of all my pipes, even the Missouri Meerschaums. They are just redundant junk. If you keep your pipes clean, you don't need a filter.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One other tip: When you pull a slide-out stinger and smoke the pipe without it, it's usually a good idea to label the stinger and put it in a small zip-loc or other safe place labeled with the name of the pipe, so should you ever sell the pipe, you can sell it complete with its original equipment. In some cases this doesn't matter, but since most stinger pipes are of of older design, it might help you sell it to a collector or a history-minded pipe smoker, for a better price.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Never liked stingers or filters. I remove both but I never remove a filter without replacing it with an adapter. The empty filter chamber becomes a trap for all sorts of goop when you don't and I find removing the filter without an adapter changes the draw and can cause the pipe to smoke hot. The adapter reestablishes a consistent diameter within the stem. I find stingers increase the probability of clogging and although they do serve a purpose, to me they are more aggravation than they are worth. But that is a personal preference and I'm sure there are others who disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.