PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I decided to go balls to the walls on TAD for a while so I can get to my goal of 200-250 pounds in the cellar. I am pounding the sponsors on this site for all they are worth for my favorites. Here is what I ordered in the last two days.
Smokingpipes:

15 Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake 50grams

10 Wessex Gold Virginia Flake 50grams

5 Astley's no. 44 Dark Flake 50grams I would have bought more but they only had 5. This one has been tough to get for a while for some weird reason.
P&C:

10 Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug 50grams

5 Fribourg&Treyer Vintage 50grams

20 Dunhill Flake 50grams

10 Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake

1 John Aylesbury Sir John Flake ( first time trying this one)

1 Rotary Navy Cut ( first time trying this one)

15 Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired 100grams

5 Solani 633 50grams
I totaled it up and this gives me another 11.5 pounds added to the cellar.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
pipe tobacco prices will triple next year and on line vendors will be required to charge all local, county and state sales & use taxes due for the customer's billing address (bills for the latter are already being drafted in both house of Congress)
Source?
In any case it will still beat buying the good stuff at the B&M, at least here where they mark 300% on wholesale AND tax AND shipping ....

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
happy, I am glad you like it. It is one of my favorites, I am sure the tin you got was aged pretty nicely.I agree those flakes are beautiful to look at, Wessex Brown Virginia Flake looks the same and is similar to the Luxury Flake, also a fav. You night want to look for one of those sometime. Other flakes that are presented exactly like the JA are the F&T Cut Virginia Plug, F&T Vintage, Dunhill Flake, Solani 633 and Wessex Gold Virginia Flake. I find that one full flake fills up my group 5 pipes nicely. I have also found that everyone of those blends I listed all come ready to smoke right out of the tin with no drying time. I don't know if it is because of the size of the flakes but it is weird they all are like that. It is one of the features I enjoy about all of them.
roth, you really think it is going to happen by next year? I was kind of figuring 3-5 years before they double and triple. If those bills go through that you are talking about how soon will it happen? Should I plan on getting this done by the end of 2013 or even sooner?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Lil' Brown Smoke Shack on the reservation in WA already charges AK state 75% excise tax on their orders. Tin of Sasieni : 6.70 + 3.71 AK tax = 10.41 plus freight ( they do 2nd day air for 26 to AK no matter the size of the order )

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
rcstan, here in Florida they wacked us with an 85% tax on the wholesale price so a tin of SG Best Brown that I pay 8.95 at JR's my local b/m has to sell it for 22.95. The poor guy is pretty much out of the pipe tobacco business, which is a shame because I used to like going there sand giving him some of my business. He has dropped his inventory 80% since the tax wentinto effect and only sells to tourists from other countries used to high prices.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
+1 maduroman! thats quite a haul and also a good plan. wish i also had the funds for cellering that much stuff, but oh well.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
The government is obviously trying to put the local shops out of business. You're making the right call. I would love to frequent a local shop but I feel that I should stock up what I can while I can.
Awesome order btw.
Saving up $25 a week and placing at $95+ tobacco order each month (or more if the budget allows) is very wise indeed.

Good strategy rothnh

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Fun stuff. If that tax revenue was going somewhere but to bailouts and corporate tax breaks, then it would be a non-issue to me.
roth, +1 on the budgeting $100/month for baccy stock-up. I've been doing that for the last few months.
Guys, if I think in terms of cigarettes, and I know it's apples to oranges, $20 for 50 g that lasts at least a week vs $20 for a couple packs of nails that when I smoked them I would go through in a couple days, is not bad.
As for the little people being pushed out of business whether by taxation or otherwise, it's been happening for a while, and not just in the tobacco industry .... think "Walmart" :puffy:

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
wish i had your tobacco budget...
Yeah no kidding, didn't you just post a list of tons of tobacco a few weeks ago?
More power to you, and more balls to your walls. :nana:
When I was making my tobacco purchases, I decided to buy like I was stocking up for the apocalypse too, actually.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
zanthal, yes I did buy a bunch about 10 days ago, but I am about 170 pounds short of my goal of 250. I made a decision to throw 10 grand at my cellar to get to where I have a 25 year supply at my current rate of smoking 9 pounds a year. I was smoking 2600.00 a year in cigarettes, so now I am only smoking 585.00 worth of pipe tobacco. I figure I am saving 2 grand a year so over the course of 25 years, that is a 50k savings. Add it all up and I am saving a ton of dough by throwing the ten grand at it now. If i don't live that long, my kids will have tons of aged tobacco to sell at a huge profit.
I recently sold off a bunch of ten year old product that I no longer smoked and averaged a 33% return on my money per year for the ten years I aged the tobacco. I wish I could get that kind of return on all my investments. Tins I bought back then for 5-6 bucks were sold for 50-60. If I had known, I would have invested a hell of a lot more.

easydraw

Lurker
Nov 23, 2012
Cigrmaster?
More like Cellarmaster, I think that would be the coolest thing in the world to see and have. Good job! :worship:

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
Cigrmaster, I love the way in which you have given much thought about growing your cellar. No doubt that you have worked hard throughout your life to be able to reap many rewards now and in your future and be able to finance such an impressive collection; I applaud you :clap:

Enjoy it all in good health. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jameral, thank you. I have paid my dues for sure, working 100 plus hours a week at times when I opened my first business was no picnic, but it all paid off. I have been very fortunate over the years.
easydraw, thanks. Believe it or not, but my collection when done, will be great for me, but is minuscule compared to some guys out there. I have heard of collections with 5,000 plus tins. I would bet my collection will not be as large as many of the guys on this site like old cajun and others. I have been at this for a very short time, there are guys who have been buying for 30 plus years. I did learn a big lesson though, grab your favorites when you can because you never know when something will be discontinued. I never thought Three Nuns would be discontinued in it's old form because it was so popular, but then one day, bang it was gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.