PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
Yesterday my friend Geoff, a fellow Vancouver Pipe Club member, came on down to help restore a couple of pipes. His was a 1958 birth year Dunhill ODA Shell Billiard, definitely a nine inning pipe. It was in remarkably good condition fut the stem had quite a bit of oxidation. Mine was a 1963 Dunhill Tanshell Prince that had an olive green stem, a rim coated with gunk and a dull, flat finish on the bowl.
I have a pipe repair and cleaning station set up at the work bench in the engine room of my boat. It is well lit, with lots of tools a vise, buffing wheels, vacuum and plenty of headroom.
We started by soaking our pipe stems in an oxyclean solution, My bowl needed quite a bit of attention but Geoff's was in much better condition. After I got done with my bowl, we scrubbed down the stems, after a second oxyclean soak, using magic sponge.
While everything was drying out, we broke for lunch. Nancy made a butternut squash and aged bruyere quiche with fresh apples and pears on the side which we paired with some St. Peters Organic English Ale.
The back to the engine room to do some micro mesh work on the stems.
I took a few photos of our work. Then we retired to the aft deck to puff away for a spell on our pipes with some of Fred Hanna's Wilderness as a fitting first bowl in our respective Dunhills. My little prince was long gone while Geoff still had plenty left in his bowl for the drive back to Vancouver.
A fun diversion and great visit.
Before

dproject.jpg

The Fruits of our Labor

dproject2.jpg

Here is a close-up of my prince

tanprince.jpg

Here is another Dunhill Bulldog I did last week:

BEFORE

dpbefore.jpg

AFTER

dpafter.jpg

Here are the steps I took in restoring these pipe:

Soak stem in concentrated solution of hot water and Oxyclean

removed tar and cake on rim with terry towel and saliva - This step took longest but done this way to avoid removing any wood or stain*

Scrape cake off chamber with pipe knife

Wipe chamber with alcohol

Clean air passage and mortise with alcohol

Scrape dirt and particles out of grooves with back of thin knife blade

Return to stem and let strummel dry

Scrub stem with Oxyclean solution using Magic Sponge

Clean out air passage of stem with fine bristle brush & pipe cleaners

Return to strummel while stem is drying

Sand bowl with Micro Mesh starting with 3200 grit and progressing to 8000 grit (smooth pipes)

Or scrub bowl with Murphy's Oil Soap and stiff toothbrush (blasted pipes)

Wax bowl

Sand Stem with Micro Mesh with 3200 grit

Buff stem with 6" variable speed bench grinder at lowest RPMs using white diamond

Reassemble pipe and hand buff with 100% cotton flannel rag.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the excellent write-up of a day among friends sharing yet another interesting aspect of the hobby. The results are absolutely amazing! I'll bet you feel like you've just acquired a new pipe! (The blast on that prince is awesome.) :clap:
I'm going to bookmark this post for future reference. The step by step procedure is most helpful, and answers a lot of questions.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
Great post... the lunch sounded fantastic and the pipe work speaks for itself!

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Impressive restorations with the pleasure of good company and fine food. Now that's a good time and more important a memory worth sharing. Thanks!

crazeybobby

Lurker
Jan 1, 2011
Great job, they look wonderful. I am always learning something from the members of this site. Thank You ALL :clap:

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Beautiful work! I appreciate the step by step on the restoration, very nice of you to post it... I am a marine engineer, and have been the chief on large expedition yacht for the last 5 years, if you ever need some advice with a technical issue you are having with your boat give me a message on here, I'd gladly reciprocate with a few tips of my own!

Status
Not open for further replies.