PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I might have gotten carried away the past couple of years with all the monthly tobacco purchases. Anyone find a good way to reduce their spending to reasonable levels, or am I hopeless?
I wanted to save for a motorcycle but the monthly deals on all the sites are killing me, not to mention the paranoid fear that it's going all away.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Anyone find a good way to reduce their spending to reasonable levels, or am I hopeless?
Disconnecting the internet. :rofl: I can't stop either. :|

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
It's hopeless, just give in and enjoy many years of happy smokes to come

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No one can game this one for you. Here's a line of thought to try. You've established a good cellar, so you don't have to stock up for a good long time. So confine yourself to small samples -- a tin, an ounce or two bulk, a pouch, etc. When you realize that you aren't going to get back to a particular blend, give it to a pipe friend. Remember to save some you don't like now, but that might improve with aging. Your use will dictate to some degree. If you are smoking ten plus bowls a day, you'll need to resupply in a year or two. If you are a moderate smoker, a bowl or two a day with days off, you may not need to for many years. Something like that ... correct and modify for your own situation. Smoke the tobacco, don't let it smoke you.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
You’ll know when it’s time to slow down. I try, and mostly succeed, in sticking to 10 blends to cellar deep. Once you focus its easier to stop chasing blends. Kinda like the difference between high school dating and true love. You can still look, but you don’t need to have.
Unless of course you are like Freddy Mercury. Then the quote applies, “I want it all, and I want it now.”

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Nice thoughts mso. I did the same thing the past 7 months. One thing that put me in check was lining it all out in a spreadsheet and seeing the costs. Definitely has made me more aware. I actually have passed on the FVF that came in stock recently (I have some on hand, but will buy more the next time it comes and goes, but maybe it'll be around for awhile anyhow). By then hopefully I have smoked through my dozen open tins and bulk that I stocked on (Anni cake and Yorktown, looking at you!)

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I often fill the basket, leave the window/tab open for a day or two, look at it a few tmes and then close/delete it.
It gives me the sensation of shopping, then some time to mull it over and then closure with no harm.
If it's really a great deal, I may place an order but that's maybe every 4th or 5th time I "window shop".
jay-roger.jpg

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Don't look around pipe website or maybe better, like Chasing Ember's idea, disconnect. Or maybe be a cheapskate. Smoke your nearest friend's tobacco. :rofl:

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I like the spread sheet idea. It opened my eyes and I also passed on the sg fvf and sjf that was around recently

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't believe pipe tobacco will be unavailable until well past 25 years, which should cover my expected life span. After that, don't care much. YMMV, but I'd relax over availability as a motivating force to building a large cache.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Part of the reason that we buy so much is because of our curiosity to taste blends that we haven't yet. This part of TAD can be solved by trading tobacco with others. However, another problem arises when we taste trades we really like and want to stock up. Hahaha!

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I have a wish list on SPC like you would not believe. It gives me satisfaction to page thru it every so often. Yesterday i did spend a $100 dollars on a order which is a lot for me!

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
You could always try my approach - lose your job and spend three years bouncing around low paying jobs trying to find something that pays a half-way decent salary. When you can't afford even one tin, you don't open the websites, which solves the TAD problem.
Of course, this method tends to be a bit hard on your cellar :?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bulk is the thriftiest way to go; just buy some jars for it. And keep the quantities modest; usually two ounces will hold you for one blend, or an ounce to sample. Don't go for the free shipping with a required (high) price level. You have your back-up, so you don't need to stock up. You've done that. Maybe splurge once a year, but even go easy on that. For my moderate pace, I bet I have five years' worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.