PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Yesterday I opened a tin of Samuel Gawith- Bothy Flake. Shortly after a brief rub-down and a bit of drying time on a coffee filter(it would seem rumours are true about GW being a marshland)I had my first bowl of what I instantly knew would be many. So rich and creamy, yet clean. Like the scotch whiskey it is flavoured with, it runs the gauntlet from smokey, earthy, and peaty to the bright citrus-sweet and almost piney notes of highland malt. As I puffed my way through the bowl, there was no bite in sight and the sweet, sour, tangy smoke soon filled my thoughts as it had my den.
Then it hit me: I only have two tins and I just read today that due to some FDA bullshit, many blends will be gone in the very near future.
Panic-induced TAD had me back on smokingpipes filling my cart moments later. haha Not only a hefty grip of the Bothy Flake, but a good many tins of the Dunhill blends I see you all raving about that I have not yet gotten to try.
So that brings me to the questions that I wanted ask. Is there a link to a site or even a thread on here that explains why these newer blends are going away? Also, is there a way to tell how old a blend is? Or perhaps a list of soon to be extinct blends?
I know you have all probably beaten the issue to death, so I apologize. It would seem I picked a terrible time to renew this old hobby. haha
Cheers,

Justin

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
There are som PDFs going around that attempt to show some of the baccos we might lose, one is good and thorough, one is not very helpful. I dont think I have them bookmarked sadly. Usually you can also tell how old a blend is by looking it up on tobaccoreviews.com. Not as good as a list, but if you have a few favorites you can easily look them up.
Im still hoping something comes along to save us, or move the date up from 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.