Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I figured with the current PAD endemic going around, i would hot-box myself in a very small enclosed area with some TAD-infected baccy. I ended up with a terrific case of TAD as a result, courtesy of Smoking Pipes. The symptoms are as follows:
====================
*Hal O' The Wynd 100g
*Marlin Flake 50g
*Mississippi River 2oz
*Free Odyssey Sample
*Free Autumn Evening Sample
*HH Old Dark Fired 100g
*Habana Daydreams 2oz
*Key Largo 2oz
*Best Brown Flake 50g
*Haddo's Delight 2oz
*Anniversary Kake 1.5oz
*Klondike Gold 50g
====================
I'm still trying new blends to really expand my palate and get more of a feel for where my preferences lie. This way, I'll be able to develop a list of go-to tobaccos to form a rotation and then start cellaring. That's only if I can get my PAD under control. Right now it is flaring up about once a week, so it could take a while.
*I really want to thank all of you on this forum for providing a guide to some great tobaccos and for just sharing your opinions on what each one of you prefer, especially the veteran pipers. I keep a notebook and jot down blends to try as i see them pop up on here and elsewhere on them internets. I then check them off as i order them when the list gets full. Once again, THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT ON THE FORUMS!!!!!*

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
Nice layinpipe seems like you have the TAD as much as me. We might have to start a 12 step group for this disorder LOL. :lol:

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
At first I thought you said "expand my wallet". Last I knew TAD and PAD shrink the wallet, but then I re-read that statement :roll:

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Masspiper, hahaha yea i saw your most recent TAD acquisition when trolling through the what's in the mail for April thread...Nice Score!
Rehab is for quitters! :D

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
davidintexas, haha thanks for catching that horrible attempt at the correct spelling of the word "palate"!! I edited the post and fixed it to avoid further confusion. 8)

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Sweet deal purple, just had a bowl of FMC last night in my morta, it's damn fine stuff. I tried Molto Dolce the other night for the first time in my meerschaum, mostly because i didn't want to ghost the hell out of any of my briars. I left it out to dry for about an hour as well as using my girlfriend's hair dryer with a paper towl stretched over the tobacco to dry it out (great quick solution BTW to wet flakes or any other damp tobaccos for the impatient pipe smoker). Even after all that, it still was one of the wettest smokes i ever had. It tasted and felt very heavily cased and this gross brown condensation literally poured out of it a couple times when i turned it upside down. I don't know if i did something wrong or what but it was gross. I plan on trying it again and letting it sit out for a couple days and seeing if that makes any difference.
I'm not sure about the Key Largo, as i haven't had it yet. I just placed the order today and most of these i haven't had before, but i will let you know once i get it and give it a whirl. Thanks for the heads up on the Autumn Evening. I'm really not a big aromatics fan, but i figured hey if they ask if i want free tobacco, i don't think i'm gonna say no, lol.
msandoval858, nice brother, what did you end up getting??

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Nice TAD.
How do you get the free samples? You just ask? 'Cause I have asked twice and never got anything.
Yes. You just ask. I usually ask for two or three. You only get one but if they don't have any samples they can give away you get nothing. So they usually pick one of what ever they have the most of and send that. And, it generally needs to be something that comes in bulk. Unless it is a new blend they are trying to promote, they aren't going to open a tin just to give you a sample.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Actually, there was two smaller boxes at checkout that said simply "do you want a free sample of Autumn Evening" and the same for Odyssey. It had a little box next to each to check if I wanted the sample. To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to it and had no idea what the samples even were until after I paid and looked them up from the confirmation email. I saw "free sample" and said yes please, lol. Not a big fan of aromatics, but the Odyssey looks delicious from the description and reviews on tobaccoreviews.com.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nag, nag, nag. But I bet people would really like it if, when we give our PAD lists, we give a real brief note on

what the constituent tobaccos in each blend are. Va/bur/Cav ... that sort of thing. I know some of these, but

not most, and it would give you a clue on which ones you might want to follow up. What a feast you have on hand.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Jeremy, absolutely brother! Did you read my post on your generous gifting thread? Beers/Drinks and numerous bowls of different great tobaccos on the patio at Bier Garden in Old Town = BLISS.
For real though, i have zero pipe smoking friends outside the ones at Emerson's and here on the forums, lol. It would definitely be great to have some buds to chill with nearby to talk pipe with for sure. The new member on here, philm68, is in VA Beach and he is down with hanging on the weekend and shooting the breeze while puffin' briar. We should all get together this summer and maybe start a pipe club or something in this area, as i'm not sure if one now exists. I know there are more pipe smokers around here that are looking for a group of like minded individuals to enjoy/talk about their hobby with!
At the very least, it would get us out of the house and away from our better half for a couple hours. The lists they devise of "things to do" can get long really quick, lol.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Yea I saw that! Agreed! I'm sure there's a gnarly "Honey to do" list waiting for me back home. I don't have ANY briar brothers in the VA either; not even here in Japan. We're tough to come by. Bier Garden sounds sweet, however right before I left they stopped allowing people to smoke on the patio. Pretty damn lame if you ask me. Gosport Tavern is another good one. It's about a block away from BG. Best fried pickles I've ever had in my life! And a good beer selection too. Either way, it'll be a good time. And YES, Hampton Roads needs a club! Maybe some of the boys at Old Dominion Pipe would be interested as well? Certainly something that needs to be explored.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Jeremy, i think we're on to something here and i totally agree. There is a lot of potential around here, there just needs to be a couple people to organize it and bring it together! Yeah, sometimes they say something at Bier Garden when i puff my pipe outside, sometimes they don't. Gosport is good too. A bit on the expensive side and the patio is small, but still good. Baron's and Griff's are also options. Griff's has a big patio and could care less if you smoke.
Anyways, i'm stoked on the potential, should be a great summer! Stay safe over there brother and take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.