PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Anyone ever get TAD block? I have been working on an order for about three weeks now but can never pull the trigger. There is so much out there that I want to try and yet I want to start building a cellar of the ones I know I like. I try to keep a monthly budget of around 50-75 bucks and smoke an average of three bowls a day so I guess my question there in lies as to how does one go about trying new things and build their cellar without breaking the bank?

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Spend 1/2 of your budget on your known items to cellar, and 1/2 on trying new blends. Hang out here frequently, and get to know other forum members. Get in on the box pass as it's a great way to sample a multitude of blends. There's a sticky thread with prerequisites on joining. Do the time and homework, it's worth it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I start here, and work my way out.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/tinned/bestsellers100.cfm

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I know how you feel.

Check out some of the offerings of 'samplers' @ P&C. I got to try Nightcap, Balkan Sasieni, H&H 10 to 12, H&H WhiteKnight, and something else, but I can't remember what it was, for $ 29. and change.

A wonderful way to get new tastes.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
I feel the same, so much to try, want to tuck away a pile of Solani White and Black but cannot manage both. All the while you guys are always coming up with new things so even the areas of no interest soon become areas of deep intrigue.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Look for the free ship. It will mean a tin or two free. I have had the block lately too. I've looked and read TR and looked more filled my cart, looked more.... ended up saying the hell with it and quit. Came back a week or two later only to do it all over again. Finally I made my order for the month. I've really been looking for Oriental blends with NO LAT. I've found a few and even mixed my own. McClelland has a few without lat but so far they are very mild and not what I thought they would be. C&D Sunday Picnic is what got me going on these types of blends. Can't find anything else close yet.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I no longer concern myself about acquiring tobacco that I haven't tried. As a matter of fact, I'd like to sell off some of what I have and concentrate on those blends that I know I prefer and enjoy. That's not to say that I'll more likely than not be tempted to try something new on occasion, but for the most part I'm through with the whole mess and the ensuing expenditure. Then again, I've never considered pipe smoking as a hobby so that may explain a lot. Well, that and aside from the fact of living on a pension which isn't very conducive to blowing my limited income on crap that I find I don't care for. Actually, I probably could be a very happy camper with just PA and a few other blends that I enjoy and call it quits. :wink:

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo cru - sounds like what you really want to do at this stage of your pipestering career to vigorously sample a broad spectrum of blends. Are you near any pipe clubs? Even one an hour away would be worth your time and gas every month. Most pipe clubs are like wine tastings, except with tobacco.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.