PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Normally I'd start my review with an elegant introduction to my review, related to the tobacco at hand. However, this time there isn't much of that, as I haven't tried anything like this, and may never will. I'll spoil the ending to this review, it is an absolutely gorgeous tobacco. By all means. It blew me away into a state of fanboyism. And I rarely have said that about any tobacco I have tried. It isn't just the fact that it is unique, but that it is quite good while being unique. As much as it is packed in a humble, rather ugly looking pouch, and when you open you get confused between the overwhelming, complex, aroma and the poor cut that has no name, It's basically a few long flakes pressed together to form a hybrid between a cake and a plug. Yet the tobacco itself is rich with colour, texture and aroma. It is a bliss to look at, touch and smell. It is easy to cut as well if you plan to store it in smaller jars. And I recommend you do store it. When you get to smoking itself, the tobacco is wet. It isn't moist, it is wet. And requires a considerable amount of drying time. For me it took an hour, and even after, it was still a bit on the moist side. However, to my surprise after the initial light, it stayed lit and smoked excellent. And speaking of the first light. It's an explosions of flavour, one that I haven't even got from the most cased of aromatics. It is a bit overwhelming even. You get sweet, sour, tangy, incense, fruity and in different flavours of fruit, a bit of licorice and a bit of sweet liquor. If I haven't read about this tobacco and examined it thoroughly I'd have said it was drowned in casing, but it was not. But it is a mixture of different oriental tobaccos that is well pressed together using traditional methods that seems to have married the tobacco well. It stays like that for a little while before tobacco starts to play solo. You get a mix of sweetness and fruitiness for a while, like eating dried figs or plums. And it is well complemented by the least of spice, more like a spicy herb than a peppery one, just teasing and tingling with your tongue rather than hammering it with peppery taste. This stays for a decent amount of the bowl, and just when I think it will be monotonous, it switches to a licorice like taste, underlined with a bit of tangy sweetness like fresh molasses. It feels almost like dark rum without the alcohol. And it keeps doing that switch between profiles till the near end of the bowl, in which it returns to a non apologetic sweetness. It turns so sweet and fresh that I feel I am smoking grass or hay rather than tobacco. I haven't had such taste even when having straight bright Virginia tobaccos. Through all that, it required 2 relights, and it never went out, I just wanted to preserve its magnanimous smoke body. And despite that it remained cool and smoked well throughout the ball, without harshness, or biting whatsoever. Just around the end of the bowl it started a bit of overheating. But I won't complain about it after over a 100 minutes of pure joy. It's only drawback if we may call it so, is that it can turn goopy, and I mean a gurgling system pipe goopy. But that was rectified by a pipe cleaner through the smoke hole once or twice and was not a nuisance at all. I think for some reason I regret trying this tobacco, as it is so good yet so scarce that I feel bad when I finished the bowl as it means my small stock of it is a bit depleted. As of this moment, it is only produced and distributed in Turkey. But I surely hope it will go global any day, as it is a delight to have
Pipe Used: Peterson system Ebony XL315
Age When Smoked: Three months old
Purchased From: Local B&M in Turkey
14724462_10157598321335203_5952146763410330153_n.jpg

14695386_10157598321520203_4522312660141226158_n.jpg

14720567_10157600546865203_1926928561718772379_n.jpg

14681781_10157600546920203_7966139500587683752_n.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
In his book titled "Pipesmoking - A 21st Century Guide" author Richard Carleton Hacker had this to say about what he called Pipe Tununu (he spelled it with an umlaut over the first U) which I believe is the same tobacco featured in the review above: "A blend that smokes as if it had too much ground pepper mixed in with the nondescript tobacco leaves, which look and taste as if they had been flue-cured in a fireplace full of soot. HPH 2.5"

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Great review, thanks for sharing it with us Ahmad.
Just to make it right, in case someone searches for this it is Türk Pipo Tütünü.
Turc-Türk Pipo Tününü - now I know why tobacco in Ukranian is tutun)))
You will be more surprised when you learn where the word "Колбаса" (Sausage) comes from :wink:

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Turc-Türk Pipo Tününü - now I know why tobacco in Ukranian is tutun)))

Interesting to know, probably Ottoman influence?
Awesome! I love hearing about stuff like this. Is it possible to order stuff like this into the US? Is it online?

Thanks, cosmic.. Unfortunately not.. It is only sold in B&M in Turkey.. I had a friend visiting Istanbul pick up a couple for me, I wish it'd be sold online,though.. If I find any, I'll be sure to update you

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
n his book titled "Pipesmoking - A 21st Century Guide" author Richard Carleton Hacker had this to say about what he called Pipe Tununu (he spelled it with an umlaut over the first U) which I believe is the same tobacco featured in the review above: "A blend that smokes as if it had too much ground pepper mixed in with the nondescript tobacco leaves, which look and taste as if they had been flue-cured in a fireplace full of soot. HPH 2.5"
I am not sure what the gentleman has smoked or how he has smoked it, but this is sooooooo different from the experience I had..I am not trying to be condescending, but maybe he did something wrong with the tobacco, like smoking it too moist or dry.. probably moist from his referral to soot. Or maybe he had a bad pouch at hand.. I assure you, once dried for an hour or so, it is a great blend to have

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Uh oh! Off we go tilting at Unicorns!

Lool
You will be more surprised when you learn where the word "Колбаса" (Sausage) comes from

Where does it come from? I am intrigued :D
jvnshr - is it available in Baku? Tutune, not sausage)))))

I have no idea, but as far as I know, it is distributed only locally in Turkey.. And it's scarce even there, it's like estorica blends in that sense

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I am not sure what the gentleman has smoked or how he has smoked it, but this is sooooooo different from the experience I had
Richard Hacker has a tendency to write his opinions as solid fact, I know in his pre-internet days he contributed substantially to pipe smoking with his literature and should be commended for doing so. I benefited and learned a lot from reading his books and own a couple, but still I find his writing style to be from quite an arrogant/egotistical point of view, which does not generally lend itself well to reviews. Sorry about this unnecessary rant in your thread ha.
Your review has got me very curious to try this leaf, and lets hope the internet reveals a distributor!!!
Isaac

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Richard Hacker has a tendency to write his opinions as solid fact, I know in his pre-internet days he contributed substantially to pipe smoking with his literature and should be commended for doing so. I benefited and learned a lot from reading his books and own a couple, but still I find his writing style to be from quite an arrogant/egotistical point of view, which does not generally lend itself well to reviews. Sorry about this unnecessary rant in your thread ha.
Your review has got me very curious to try this leaf, and lets hope the internet reveals a distributor!!!
Thanks, Isaac for the explanation. I was a bit confused that someone wrote a book about pipe smoking and bashed this blend so much, but as you said he seems arrogant and egotistical with his point of view..
And indeed I hope I can find an online seller, it'd make my life easier

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
jvnshr - is it available in Baku? Tutune, not sausage)))))
I have never seen it here, Ben. I haven't actually seen anything else than Erinmore or Captain Black here. Some local B&Ms carry few Turkish (Shahin) pipes, so I don't doubt, at least one of them might carry it.
I read about Turkish pipe tobacco brands a year ago when I started smoking pipe. I will contribute more after revising what I read.
For now:
http://eng.tabacturc.com/pipe-tobacco-products.html

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
I dug a bit about the subject.. Apparently for some reason Turkish law prohibits selling of Tobacco online. That's why we can't find any online retailers. As for export, I guess it needs to pick up the local market first as it seems

Status
Not open for further replies.