Tabac Turc-Türk Pipo Tününü review - a baccy out of this world [With Pix]

(18 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Ahmad Othman
  • Latest reply from Ahmad Othman
  1. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Normally I'd start my review with an elegant introduction to my review, related to the tobacco at hand. However, this time there isn't much of that, as I haven't tried anything like this, and may never will. I'll spoil the ending to this review, it is an absolutely gorgeous tobacco. By all means. It blew me away into a state of fanboyism. And I rarely have said that about any tobacco I have tried. It isn't just the fact that it is unique, but that it is quite good while being unique. As much as it is packed in a humble, rather ugly looking pouch, and when you open you get confused between the overwhelming, complex, aroma and the poor cut that has no name, It's basically a few long flakes pressed together to form a hybrid between a cake and a plug. Yet the tobacco itself is rich with colour, texture and aroma. It is a bliss to look at, touch and smell. It is easy to cut as well if you plan to store it in smaller jars. And I recommend you do store it. When you get to smoking itself, the tobacco is wet. It isn't moist, it is wet. And requires a considerable amount of drying time. For me it took an hour, and even after, it was still a bit on the moist side. However, to my surprise after the initial light, it stayed lit and smoked excellent. And speaking of the first light. It's an explosions of flavour, one that I haven't even got from the most cased of aromatics. It is a bit overwhelming even. You get sweet, sour, tangy, incense, fruity and in different flavours of fruit, a bit of licorice and a bit of sweet liquor. If I haven't read about this tobacco and examined it thoroughly I'd have said it was drowned in casing, but it was not. But it is a mixture of different oriental tobaccos that is well pressed together using traditional methods that seems to have married the tobacco well. It stays like that for a little while before tobacco starts to play solo. You get a mix of sweetness and fruitiness for a while, like eating dried figs or plums. And it is well complemented by the least of spice, more like a spicy herb than a peppery one, just teasing and tingling with your tongue rather than hammering it with peppery taste. This stays for a decent amount of the bowl, and just when I think it will be monotonous, it switches to a licorice like taste, underlined with a bit of tangy sweetness like fresh molasses. It feels almost like dark rum without the alcohol. And it keeps doing that switch between profiles till the near end of the bowl, in which it returns to a non apologetic sweetness. It turns so sweet and fresh that I feel I am smoking grass or hay rather than tobacco. I haven't had such taste even when having straight bright Virginia tobaccos. Through all that, it required 2 relights, and it never went out, I just wanted to preserve its magnanimous smoke body. And despite that it remained cool and smoked well throughout the ball, without harshness, or biting whatsoever. Just around the end of the bowl it started a bit of overheating. But I won't complain about it after over a 100 minutes of pure joy. It's only drawback if we may call it so, is that it can turn goopy, and I mean a gurgling system pipe goopy. But that was rectified by a pipe cleaner through the smoke hole once or twice and was not a nuisance at all. I think for some reason I regret trying this tobacco, as it is so good yet so scarce that I feel bad when I finished the bowl as it means my small stock of it is a bit depleted. As of this moment, it is only produced and distributed in Turkey. But I surely hope it will go global any day, as it is a delight to have

Pipe Used: Peterson system Ebony XL315

Age When Smoked: Three months old

Purchased From: Local B&M in Turkey

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.” - Albert Einstein
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. scrooge

scrooge

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

YUMMMM!

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great review of a tantalizing tobacco. I hope that you may continue to obtain this rare tobacco in the future.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. hmhaines

hmhaines

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds beautiful, man, thanks for sharing!

"Following the path of least resistance is what makes the river crooked."
    U. Utah Phillips
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Turc-Türk Pipo Tününü - now I know why tobacco in Ukranian is tutun)))

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Awesome! I love hearing about stuff like this. Is it possible to order stuff like this into the US? Is it online?

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In his book titled "Pipesmoking - A 21st Century Guide" author Richard Carleton Hacker had this to say about what he called Pipe Tununu (he spelled it with an umlaut over the first U) which I believe is the same tobacco featured in the review above: "A blend that smokes as if it had too much ground pepper mixed in with the nondescript tobacco leaves, which look and taste as if they had been flue-cured in a fireplace full of soot. HPH 2.5"

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Uh oh! Off we go tilting at Unicorns!

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Great review, thanks for sharing it with us Ahmad.

Just to make it right, in case someone searches for this it is Türk Pipo Tütünü.

You will be more surprised when you learn where the word "Колбаса" (Sausage) comes from

Javan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jvnshr - is it available in Baku? Tutune, not sausage)))))

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

YUMMMM!

The least I can say

Great review of a tantalizing tobacco. I hope that you may continue to obtain this rare tobacco in the future.

Oh I hope John, it's beautiful.. And I wish you can get your hands on it

Sounds beautiful, man, thanks for sharing!

Sure, mate.. Thanks

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting to know, probably Ottoman influence?

Awesome! I love hearing about stuff like this. Is it possible to order stuff like this into the US? Is it online?

Thanks, cosmic.. Unfortunately not.. It is only sold in B&M in Turkey.. I had a friend visiting Istanbul pick up a couple for me, I wish it'd be sold online,though.. If I find any, I'll be sure to update you

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

n his book titled "Pipesmoking - A 21st Century Guide" author Richard Carleton Hacker had this to say about what he called Pipe Tununu (he spelled it with an umlaut over the first U) which I believe is the same tobacco featured in the review above: "A blend that smokes as if it had too much ground pepper mixed in with the nondescript tobacco leaves, which look and taste as if they had been flue-cured in a fireplace full of soot. HPH 2.5"

I am not sure what the gentleman has smoked or how he has smoked it, but this is sooooooo different from the experience I had..I am not trying to be condescending, but maybe he did something wrong with the tobacco, like smoking it too moist or dry.. probably moist from his referral to soot. Or maybe he had a bad pouch at hand.. I assure you, once dried for an hour or so, it is a great blend to have

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Uh oh! Off we go tilting at Unicorns!

Lool

You will be more surprised when you learn where the word "Колбаса" (Sausage) comes from

Where does it come from? I am intrigued

I have no idea, but as far as I know, it is distributed only locally in Turkey.. And it's scarce even there, it's like estorica blends in that sense

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am not sure what the gentleman has smoked or how he has smoked it, but this is sooooooo different from the experience I had

Richard Hacker has a tendency to write his opinions as solid fact, I know in his pre-internet days he contributed substantially to pipe smoking with his literature and should be commended for doing so. I benefited and learned a lot from reading his books and own a couple, but still I find his writing style to be from quite an arrogant/egotistical point of view, which does not generally lend itself well to reviews. Sorry about this unnecessary rant in your thread ha.

Your review has got me very curious to try this leaf, and lets hope the internet reveals a distributor!!!

Isaac

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Richard Hacker has a tendency to write his opinions as solid fact, I know in his pre-internet days he contributed substantially to pipe smoking with his literature and should be commended for doing so. I benefited and learned a lot from reading his books and own a couple, but still I find his writing style to be from quite an arrogant/egotistical point of view, which does not generally lend itself well to reviews. Sorry about this unnecessary rant in your thread ha.

Your review has got me very curious to try this leaf, and lets hope the internet reveals a distributor!!!

Thanks, Isaac for the explanation. I was a bit confused that someone wrote a book about pipe smoking and bashed this blend so much, but as you said he seems arrogant and egotistical with his point of view..

And indeed I hope I can find an online seller, it'd make my life easier

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have never seen it here, Ben. I haven't actually seen anything else than Erinmore or Captain Black here. Some local B&Ms carry few Turkish (Shahin) pipes, so I don't doubt, at least one of them might carry it.

I read about Turkish pipe tobacco brands a year ago when I started smoking pipe. I will contribute more after revising what I read.

For now:

http://eng.tabacturc.com/pipe-tobacco-products.html

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dug a bit about the subject.. Apparently for some reason Turkish law prohibits selling of Tobacco online. That's why we can't find any online retailers. As for export, I guess it needs to pick up the local market first as it seems

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, mortonbriar