PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I have a great affinity for these tobaccos after trying it a little while ago. As you know it comes in gold foil bricks that are not sealed in any way and just wrapped in paper. I now have a little over 5 lbs to add to my cellar. I can not imagine it could get any drier than it is now.
How do you store this fine tobacco for years to come? Just leave it as is in the foill bricks and paper, jar it up, or vacuum seal it in storage bags like I do with Esoterica bags?
Thanks for the help!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I keep the last of a package of medium cut and an unopened package of thick cut in a big canning jar, just to sequester its goodness. I'm a Semois fan and would probably keep it in a bank vault if I had it. Whether you can jar it all or not, I'd be careful to keep it in moderated humidity of course. The packages in my jar are intact; I didn't unpack it to jar it.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I use mylar bags without vacuum. I also use oxygen absorbers and leave the tobacco in its original packaging.
The use of oxy absorbers is debatable as to whether or not they're necessary or even a good thing so don't feel bad if you use them.
Or you can just jar it or use a regular vacuum sealer and bags.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm assuming Tabacs de Semois do not benefit from re-hydrating?
I assumed they were meant to be as dry as they are. The Le Petit Robin from Manil has texture like a very fine shredded wheat cereal. Weird but tasty!

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Just received my first package of 'Reserve du Patron'. Does anyone have recommendations as to best pipe shape/size for this tobacco?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've been smoking the Le Petit Robin in a Savinelli 106 and enjoying it.
It's a straight billiard with a 36mm deep x 19mm wide chamber.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have a gallon sized ziplock half full I got in an assortment buy.
It's been in that bag under my desk for 5 months and has not changed in smoking character one bit.
For reference, my humidity extremes are between 40 and 70% with most times between 50-60%.
I keep it with the Daughters & Ryan bags, which also are dry and don't seem to care too much.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I started out using tall/deep bowls, to prolong the smoke by keeping it from burning too fast -- a Hungarian briar and a MM cob freehand for example. But I also get good results with broader bowled chamber like a Sav pot or a Johs diplomat that seem to give a little wider range to the taste of this single leaf. So I'd say, try around. If you like Semois, you will likely be pleased by various pipes.

mityahicks

Nov 18, 2018
Anyone know how long this stuff remains unavailable? I still have plenty,but wanted to cellar some.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I bought some La Brumeuse from @saltedplug that he'd originally jarred 5 years ago. He thought the flavor wasn't as intense as the fresh, but the flavors had melded. I don't know as I've not get gotten around to smoking the fresh that I do have. - - In any case, I really like this tobacco. It's one of my favorites. - - I have vac sealed this 5 year old La Brumeuse in mason jars. I don't know if this is the 'best' approach, but I like what I'm tasting now. I plan to seal some of the fresher La Brumeuse without vacuum in mylar bags.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Anyone know how long this stuff remains unavailable?
I periodically check the various online seller's sites and it shows up at one of them at least fairly regularly. Just keep checking and you'll find it. The real trick is finding it in stock when someone has a sale going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.