Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Which do you prefer? Personally I prefer the bolder taste of cyprian, but also really enjoy the gentle caress of syrian! If I had to choose one, it'd be the Cypriot version.
/ramble

srharel

Lurker
Sep 9, 2010
I hear that the Syrian is less in use in the past few years, especially since GL Pease stopped using it (or at least massively reduced for some reason). I remember liking the Syrian a lot (though both are certainly my cup of tea) but I guess havent had it in few years now....

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
As a Latakia lover I have not yet tried Syrian (or is it Syriot). I plan to try Three Oaks Syrian as my first try. That seems to be a popular blend.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Syrian tobacco is far less available than Cyprian. A barn in North Carolina that contained most of the N. American supply of Syrian tobacco burned down five or six years ago. This is why there are no Cornell & Diehl blends (which would include G.L. Pease) that contain Syrian leaf. In the US McClelland still has a trove of the stuff and overseas Mac Baren still has some.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Ted, would you list 4-5 McClelland blends with Cyprian / Syrian.
Yea, I know, I'm too lazy to look it up on tabaccy reviews. And I don't feel like Googlin it up. :wink:

jordanfirst

Lurker
Jun 2, 2011
Personally i prefer the Syrian latakia though i do agree that it is very hard to obtain now due to the very sensitive situation syria is facing. I hope we get some more of the fine latakia tobacco named after the port city of latakia in syria- This rare commodity will be available soon to the jordanian markets after the borders are clear

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I prefer Syrian. Love it frankly. It can be as bold or as soft as a blender chooses. I have smoked a lot of Samovar and Frog Morton ATP.
Cyprian sure does make a good dark English, though.

creekspecter

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2011
If you want to compare differences, try Pipeworks and Wilke No. 10 and No. 524. Number 10 is a Cypriot Latakia, while Number 524 is Syrian. Carol Burns, the blender and person-in-charge, does a great job with all of her tobaccos. After I smoked the both, I finally understood the subtleties between them. McBarens' HH Vintage Syrian will also give you a gentle, flavorful Syrian smoke. Hope this helps.

kodiakred13

Lurker
Apr 1, 2011
West Coast BC
I am a Latakia lover and tend to prefer them best on cool, damp rainy days or in the winter months as I do all my smoking outdoors. I love them damn near the same. It depends on my mood and the blend smoked. But if I had to pick one or the other, I would choose Cyprian Latakia. it has a deeper, more smokey taste which I love.

Status
Not open for further replies.