PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
One of the proudest moments in my rather brutal life. Only one more kid to graduate and he's at Pitt.
On Saturday my daughter graduated from Syracuse University with a degree in bio-chemistry :clap:, already working this summer at SU, with her name on a published paper. She rattled off a string of gibberish on what it is... Couldn't tell you what, other than it's a big deal.
The ageing experiment continues! We'll hit 6 months this summer and should start to see some results.
Now I can live with the no smoking in a building, they want it that way -- fine. Seems like Rubbermade scored a great contract putting in all the little black posts telling you where to smoke. Seems to have backfired with the posts surrounded with butts, acting more as a target. It's the beginning of May so I brought cloths for the season. Well it's been in the 30's(a little snow)in the morning and almost making 50 in the afternoon. The real kicker is the wind never gives up, you're stuck in a corner lighting the pipe, and it drops the temp another 15 degrees.
The ceremony was great, seeing my daughter was fantastic because she lives here. Though we chat almost everyday, it's been three years since I've hugged her. SU is a great campus and the Carrier Dome allowed the ceremony to be inside, but I've haven't walked this much in five years -- all up hill. She was offered scholarships at Duke and Stanford, which I voted for. But no, she loves the snow and the cold and she wants to pursue genetic research.
SO the painful pipe. I shouldn't complain to much with my room right next to the door leading to the smoking pole, and the apposing door right to the hot tub and pool. I put on 5 layers of spring clothes, eat a handful of pills, get a hot coffee and out the door to my corner. The cadence is that of a sprint, then straight into the hot tub. Rinse and repeat a few times a day, by the time I get home on Tuesday, I'm sure to be sick as a dog.
I will be stopping at the Indian reservation on the way back to Pittsburgh. I'm told they have two B&M's and no tax. So I'll at least score a couple tins to mark the celebration/experience. I have never missed my Man Cave more.
Well cloths on, pills and coffee working -- with a bowl of AK ready. Once more into the breach! :crazy:
Craig

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Craig
Between business travel and golf at Turning Stone I am thru that area several times year. So far all I have seen as far as pipe tobacco goes are the OTC's and RYOs. But it's worth a shot! Good luck and congrats on your daughters graduation! My son starts at Oswego next year so I will be in the Syracuse area even more now!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Absolutely, Bob!
Bradley, you walk in truth and light.
Craig, congratulations on your daughter's successful career at Syracuse. It's pretty cool reading about somebody's kiddo graduating from Syracuse who's "not" going to work for ESPN.
Your daughter is in the process of becoming a scientist, Craig. How wonderful is that?
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.