PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I moved some tobacco from a smaller mason jar to a larger, and I'm wanting to add new tobacco to the old jar. So my question is this. I want to clean the jar as it has the scent of the original tobacco and don't want it to ghost the new tobacco... should I clean with hot soap and water? and let it air dry? Or can I just wipe it out real good with some isopropyl alcohol? I kind of like my second idea but there are many of you here far more knowledgeable than I.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I always wash with hot water and a little soap. Just rinse it well and make sure it's dry. Either air dry or use a cloth.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I usually boil water and then fill the jars up with that, let it sit for a few and then dump and let it dry. I am with you on the no dishwasher.

howulikeit

Lurker
Nov 3, 2013
Hot water and just a touch of soap should do the trick. Just make sure that you dry the jar and give it some time to sit and dry out by itself before you put the tobacco in it. Wouldn't want the chance of any mold problems.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Thanks all. So how about my idea of just wiping the jar out with some alcohol? Is that a good idea or a bad idea?
Sounds like a waste of alcohol. And you'd need a lot to get all the leftover tobacco pieces/dust out. Water is fine

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Normally I just run the jars through the dishwasher and all is fine. Most people recommend replacing with a new lid, which most stores sell separate from the jars.
I have not tried this yet, but in reading about home brewing (a hobby I'm hoping to start this year) it seems like some of the no rinse sanitizers might work well for tobacco jars as well. Haven't tried it though, just a thought.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
How about ball jars with rubber seals? Im havent been successful in removing odours....probably easier to just replace.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Yeah, the rubber will hold onto smells. Some say the rubber will dry rot over time too and prefer the silicon seals. Not sure how those do with smells though.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Anthony:
+1 on hot soapy water and replacement lids.
You can buy a box of replacement lids for pocket change at your nearby Wal-Mart or K Mart. The rubber seals hold odors and that's that. They're too cheap not to throw away, Anthony.
Fnord

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Iso alcohol may or may not remove the tobacco detritus that you, in your hurry to return to a less pedestrian task. Soap and water. A pipe guy I know recommended that I rinse three times, hot/cold/hot. It's my understanding that hot sanitizes best while cold rinses best.
I don't replace the rings or the tops unless the ring is dented or the top's "rubber" lining that makes the seal is badly scored. Low to moderate scoring in a lid that has been soaked in hot water can return the rubber to its original state; or at least closely enough. If you look at the rubber on a new jar you will see how it indents before there has ever been a seal; yet it still produces a good seal.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
One important note: don't let clean jars sit around for too long before you reseal them. I've only had it happen to one jar of about fifty that I've filled, but mold can happen if you stupidly let them sit out for a few days before getting around to filling them.

Status
Not open for further replies.