PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
So I just started to really get into virginia based blends, but unfortunately I only have one pipe dedicated to those blends at this time (until I get my next paycheck anyways :puffy: )
So today I had my first smoke of Hal O' The Wynd in a pipe that I've been using primarily for english tobaccos. I could taste the english more so than the virginia. I've heard from others that it will take anywhere from 3-5 smokes to get that pipe tasting more like one for virginias. What do you guys think?

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
I would just smoke any non-English, non-aromatic blend. It will eventually subside.
If you want to be more thorough, scrub the shank after each smoke with alcohol and pipe cleaners or a shank brush. After a couple smokes, soak a doubled over pipe cleaner (or two twisted together if it's a canadian shape) in alcohol and insert in the shank. Leave a day or two (until thoroughly dry). This will really help pull the old tars and oils from the shank.
Most ghosting comes from the shank. Excess moisture/condensation is absorbed along with tars, oils, and other volatile compounds in the shank. When you smoke, the hot air and moisture pull some of those flavors back out of the wood, almost like steaming. Many people mistakenly concern themselves with the bowl if they have a ghost or are trying to minimize carryover. If you focus on the shank, you'll be much happier.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
If I were moving a pipe from English to Virginia, I'd just smoke the Virginia in it. I wouldn't introduce a third type of blend into the mix. Yes, you'll have 3-5 bowls where you're getting more of a combination of English/VA flavors, but since you clearly like both flavors I don't see how that's a problem.
Bob

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Yes, it will only take a few bowls to remove the Latakia ghost from the pipe. With certain aromatics, it is much harde, or needs special treatment.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I wouldn't even use the word "ghost" here. I think there's some confusion about what ghosting is, due to its frequent use on the forums. A "ghost" is a flavor/aroma that simply won't leave the pipe no matter how many bowls of something else get smoked in it. Sometimes it may require even multiple salt/alcohol treatments. In my experience, blends that can truly ghost a pipe are rare. It isn't "ghosting" if you can smoke a half-dozen bowls of something new to get past the previous flavors.
Bob

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I am a man of fickle tastes and limited rotation so this has happened to me before and concur with everything rmbittner has said with one caveat After you smoke your way through the conversion, the only time you might have any 'relapse' latakia is when you ream your cake if your cake was formed with latakia. But that should subside quickly if it happens at all.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Apparantly one of the best ghost busters is activated charcoal in the bowl and then you heat it in the oven on low, I don't know the exact specifics but apparently it works wonders. I really wouldn't be too worried about an english blend crossing over and impacting it in a bad way as Va's are in every english that I know of.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
This might sound odd but i used a small ozone generator and it knocked the scent and taste right out.

Status
Not open for further replies.