PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
I saw "Swingtime" with Fred Astaire for the 4th or 5th time the other night. Great dance film. In one scene Fred was smoking a Dunhill Crosby #4. It was 1936. Was the Crosby already named for Bing in 1936, or was it another shape that was later renamed for him? By the way, Swingline staplers were named after this film. The Man who started the company, Jacques Linsky, loved the film. That had always puzzled me because the stapler doesn't swing, it crunches.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Swingline staplers open up to be used for tacking, which is where I always thought the name came from. Perhaps it was both.
As for the pipe, who knows? But I'm thinking an English company of Dunhill's pedigree would not have been keen on naming a pipe after an American showperson.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
foggymountain:
The basic design of the pipe-shape which is known to us today as "The Crosby" may well have been originally created by Dunhill. However, that shape and Mr. Crosby's name became synonymous only after Herbert Merchant (who, interestingly, was a former Dunhill employee) began the Merchant Service company and created the Merchant Service Special, a similarly-shaped pipe which Mr. Crosby favored from the 1950s forward.
My guess is that Dunhill (to benefit their own sales) renamed their shape after noting Mr. Crosby's fondness for Mr. Merchant's product.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I bet Foggy has enough Dunhills to open a Dunhill shop. A wonderfull collection.

Aug 14, 2012
Huntertrw: Thanks for the answer.

Shutterbugg: The name cam from the film. I got this information from my wife who worked for Mr. Linsky's daughter for many years. He also donated two rooms full of early Christian art to the Metropolitan Museum. He had unusually good taste. The man came to the USA penniless and left a fortune.

Aug 14, 2012
Inmstymp: The Dunhill collection is 112 pipes, all 21st century and in very good condition. Shame I won't be smoking them any more. I had to give up smoking and drinking 48 hours ago because of blood pressure issues. I will keep the pipes for now, and might sneak a smoke very rarely.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
HOLY COW!
Very sorry to hear that, foggy. Though I hope and expect that can be mitigated and you can return to your enjoyment of a few bowls and jars.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Bad news foggy. I'm 63 with very good blood pressure. My doctor thinks smoking my pipe once a day is not detrimental as it tends to relax me.

Aug 14, 2012
Billkay: I get jin shin jyutsu weekly, and have for many years. That and herbal remedies have kept me going.

Aug 14, 2012
pappymac: Smoking does NOT keep your blood pressure down. It raises it. No doubt about that. The MD is wrong.
It turns out that because of quitting smoking and drinking, and some weight loss, my pressure is a bit too low. So I have gone back to just a little smoking. I fill a small pipe half way, take 7-8 drags, then put it down for some hours. Am smoking less than a pipe a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.