PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I have always used Sugar in my marinade for cucumber salad. Has anyone tried to substitute Splenda or any other artifical sweetner instead of sugar.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I would watch it from a taste perspective, often different "sweeteners" have different profiles in different media. What produces standard sweet tea or coffee, might have different added tastes in cold salads etc.
On a side note, if you look at how Splenda and other artificial sweeteners are created, the downsides of normal sugar kinda pale.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Many synthetic sweeteners such as aspartame are considered cancer causing by several reputable medical associations (funny for a pipe smoker to think about I know). If you are concerned about calories, just eat less or substitute raw sugar with a splash of concentrated juice (pineapple/apple/mango etc)

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I use Stevia, a natural vegetable sweetener with no health downsides that I know of, in my tea. It tastes great and has a mild aftertaste that REALLY enhances pipe tobacco. Think salt on a steak. Never tried it in any food prep though.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Splenda baking is the only one I can stand . I have to watch my sugars but starch laden foods effect me more .I also find that pure cane sugar or dark honey is better tolerated than processed sugars from corn or sugar beets .If it fits in the palm of your hand you can have it .I also use regular coffee cups for things like ice cream or deserts or say chips.A simple twenty minute walk after dinner can do wonders for your A1c .Everyone is not the same .YMMV

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Splenda works great with almost anything. I even make sugar free ice cream with it. Carbs make me pack on the pounds so I avoid sugar.

Status
Not open for further replies.