Sweetest Tobacco Blend (Still Available)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
A friend said that next time we meet up, he would be bringing some “frosted” tobacco for me to try. The frosting is allegedly sugar crystals forming from the sweet nectar this blend oozes. I have not yet seen or smoked it. So I said to myself, “Self, why don’t you ask those boys on the forum which is the sweetest non-cased Tabaco [sic] blend that is still available?” So gentlemen, what is the sweetest tobacco blend you have tried that is still available to purchase today in 2019? It does not need to be producing sugar crystals, just not a heavily cased aromatic either. I enjoy aromatics but want to find a naturally sweet blend.
The closest I have come to this is SG Firedance which is elegantly cased with just the right amount of blackberries.
This was discussed some years ago on the forums, but all the suggested blends are no longer available.
Thank you and Happy New Year!

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I wouldn't expect exceptionally sweet tasting tobacco when your friend brings "frosted" tobacco for you to try. The sugar crystals or whatever they are that form on well aged tobacco can form on any blend of tobaccos and the taste of aged tobacco varies greatly depending on the type of tobacco that was aged.
There is a wealth of knowledge out there around aging tobacco not to mention the extensive discussions on the sugar crystals you mention. My experience is that the aged tobaccos I've tried (regardless of the amount of crystals displayed on their surface) were softer and more nuanced with some fermentation notes sometimes thrown in. Sometimes it results in a stark difference from the fresh tobacco and sometimes not so much.
Mind you this is based on a modest sample of Virginia and Oriental based tobaccos. Latakia and burley age completely differently and I've had less experience with those. For a readily available delicious blend try Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake and buy enough to cellar for a few years. It's delicious fresh and even better aged.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
I've always been under the impression that nearly all raw tobaccos are cased with something, so the operative term in your post is "heavily cased", and I think that would be hard to judge as I think everyone would have a different interpretation of where a light 'no flavor' casing ends and a heavy casing begins. I've tried a ton of virginia blends over the years and to me, none of them really meet the impression of sweetness I'm getting from your post. That said, one that does come to mind is Carter Hall which is mostly barley (if not all barley). But even the best virginias (to me anyway) such as Carolina Red Flake which has roughly 11% sugar content is not really that sweet...it's more peppery.
The "blackberry" flavor you mention is probably a topping, not a casing...I could be wrong though...
In the end, I think a good, relatively sweet untopped blend would be something along the lines of an english blend of high quality such as Erik Stokkebye's Founder's Blend. But of course that's a mix of many tobaccos.
If you really want a naturally sweet taste without all the casing and toppings, I'd suggest taking up cigar smoking and look for a mild to medium quality cigar, such as a light wrapper Davidoff/Griffin.
Just my two cents and I'm sure someone will sternly object to what I just said, lol...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I can't answer your question as to what is the sweetest uncased tobacco, but on the topic of casing and other such matters, I refer you to this article by GL Pease, in case you haven't already read it.
https://www.glpease.com/FAQ.html#MYTHS
As far as having to be uncased, Union Square is one, and there are several from MacBaren. Almost all commercially available tobaccos are cased, and flavored to some degree.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Thanks for the reading material, it was very informative. I also realized that I have been using terms incorrectly (casing vs topping). I guess I will just keep trying different blends until I find one that suits my needs. I thought of OTC blends as inferior because of their price but now so many guys have suggested it that I think I will grab a pouch and give it a go!

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
I thought of OTC blends as inferior
Absolutely zero to be ashamed of smoking OTC's...2 of my most frequently smoked are Carter Hall (nearly every day) and Captain Black white (about one week every month)...love them both. You have to remember that many times OTC's are less costly not necessarily because of the tobacco and blending process (which does have something to do with it for sure), as much as because they have facilities dedicated to their production unlike smaller operations that blend many different kinds...it's called economies of scale and these larger OTC facilities take advantage of that and pass it along to the consumer. Also, the larger the operation, the better the deal you can work out with suppliers/farmers. That said, many OTC's are actually not that differently priced than their smaller counterparts; for instance, Captain Black white sells for about $7 for 1 1/2 ozs...most smaller company aromatics along the same lines sell for about $9 per 50 grams which comes out to $7.67 for 1 1/2 oz equivalent.
Long story short, don't get caught up in all the hoity-toity stuff a lot of people push, there are great OTC's that are certainly worth smoking.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I thought of OTC blends as inferior because of their price but now so many guys have suggested it that I think I will grab a pouch and give it a go!
It's a common misconception. I like Chatham Manor, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, and several others. They provide me with an enjoyable smoke right out of the pouch, tin, or tub. No fuss, no muss. No praying to the tobacco gods or sacrificing virgins. The only issue for some smokers is that they generally contain a fair amount of Burley, which can cause mouth irritation. And other smokers can't handle certain varieties of Virginias. Fortunately for me, no varietal gives me any problems.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Best of all, most OTC's are available in pouches or otherwise in small quantities, so you can sample them widely. You will soon find out there is a reason so many of these have been around close to a century. And some of the newer ones are excellent as well. It's like the old joke -- no one goes there anymore; it's too crowded.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
The two sweetest blend that I have tried, which are also readily available, are Deception Pass and Aj's Vaper. I don't think they have any casing. Both of them are also really good.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
MSO - I totally get it!
I was skeptical that a sugary frosting would translate to a sweet tobacco. I guess I will just try it and find out for myself. I have plenty to learn yet.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
For tobacco without an obvious topping it would be Potlatch, it really does taste like cocoa/chocolate. Go for it and enjoy!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I would have to say Carter Hall. It has a pretty strong sweet molasses / honey type note accompanying the nuttiness. It's a very common OTC blend every pipe smoker should try at some point.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I am a bit confused. If your friend has "frosted" tobacco, may he just be referring to an aged blend that shows crystals on the outside? This happens, especially with aged Virginia flake, and does not indicate any sweetness. I guess I am unsure of the details here.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I am a bit confused. If your friend has "frosted" tobacco, may he just be referring to an aged blend that shows crystals on the outside? This happens, especially with aged Virginia flake, and does not indicate any sweetness. I guess I am unsure of the details here.
+1
As some other members mentioned, much information has been published on tobacco aging. My understanding is that the crystalline structures that sometimes appear on aged tobacco are not sugar. Some refer to these structures as "plume" or "bloom." They probably won't mean the tobacco is sweeter.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Irish Flake tastes quite sweet to me, and has a noticeable tea-like aroma. As others have noted, most OTC/codger types are fairly sweet, but I tend to consider them as aromatics.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Hamburger Veermaster

Ropers Roundrels

Wessex Gold Va Flake

F&T Cut Va Plug
I also find Pease Stratford to be sweet with little hints of buttered caramel corn.

Status
Not open for further replies.