PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Been falling in love with Virginias ever since I bought some OGS and Dunhill Flake. About to send off this order thanks to reading the advice and reviews of many of you guys, as well as a few samples from generous friends:
Orlik Golden Sliced

Dunhill Flake

Rattray's Marlin Flake

Capstan Blue

Capstan Gold

McClelland Deep Hollow

McClelland Grey Havens

The Smoker Olde Virginia
Thanks to all who have helped me get this list in order! I am about to be one happy man :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That is a fine list of Virginia's. Here are some other ones you might want to consider on your next order.
Wessex Brown Flake, Gold Flake, Gold Brick and Brigade Campaign Dark Flake( the last one is a bitch to get but worth the chase)

Fribourg& Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Rotary Navy Cut

Astleys no 44 and 109

Solani Silver Flake( has Kentucky in it but fabulous blend)

Samuel Gawith Best Brown and Full Virginia Flake

Peterson University Flake. I call this my desert smoke as the plum casing is very nice.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Thanks Harris,
University Flake just barely missed my list this time. And I looked into Wessex Brigade Campaign but like you said, it wasn't available. I've written down the rest of your suggestions, I'll certainly look into them.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Thanks Roth!
You were the inspiration behind the Marlin Flake. I'm thinking that will be the first tin I open.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
homeatsea, there are a ton of great Vaa flakes out there so you should have a blast trying a bunch of them. Marlin Flake has some great flavor, I wish I could smoke it, I would have tons of it in the cellar.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Thankfully before I placed my orders (had to split between P&C and Smokingpipes because of the Capstan and The Smoker) I was looking back over my wishlist that I keep stuffed away and saw McConnell's Scottish Cake, which conveniently is in another topic right now with raving reviews so I threw in a tin of that as well.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am going to be making a little order to Iwan Ries in the next few days. Want to try their IRC Virginia Flake, which I understand is close to the old version of Dunhill Flake, made by Murray's, called Dunhill Light Flake. Got a couple of other IRC blends I intend to try, too.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I highly recommend you try McClelland Bulk No. 5100 Red Cake. It is one of my favorite tobaccos, and there are days when it is the only thing I smoke.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Great choices listed above! IMO, no discussion of sweet Virginias would be complete without mention of Dunhill Royal Yacht. I think there's some confusion on this one due to the original being very strong. The current version is sweet bready and delicious. Highly recommended.

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
+100 Astleys 109

44 doesn't really do it for me but 109 is about as good as it gets in my opinion, unless you're dying for perique.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
amiller, interesting assessment about the Astleys. I had always smoked the 109 and then last summer tried the 44 for the first time. I found it to be more medium in strength with some great flavors so I stopped buying 109. I have one tin left from 2001 and 6 tins of 2006 coming so I will be revisiting it. I cut my VA flake teeth on 109, Veermaster, CVP and OGS. I am looking forward to smoking it again, as I have not smoked any since last summer when I was smoking a tin of the 2001.

Status
Not open for further replies.