PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Duplin Winery, Hatteras Red... AWESOME STUFF !!
http://duplinwinery.com/index.php-page=wines&wines=1&parent=2&winename=Hatteras%20Red.htm
Tom

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
+1 to papipeguy (gotta love Mad Dog 20/20). I am a fan of Apothic Red & and Cupcake brands. Both have some great "red blends" Shouldn't be to hard to find at your local beverage store or Target/grocery store.
Mike

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
When I worked in New York in the late '70's I'd look to see how many MD20/20 bottles were outside of the Port Authority bus terminal versus Richard's Wild Irish Rose. Most Mondays it wa a tie.

Dec 24, 2012
The only type of sweet red wine I would ever drink would be an ice wine - and it doesn't get any sweeter (at least naturally) than that.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The only sweet red wines I drink are varietals or fortified such as a Port or a Rubino. These are primarily after dinner wines. If you are looking for a red dinner wine that is sweet you should probably ask a knowledgeable purveyor of wines. I know that there are many available, both domestic and foreign.
By the way, a nicely aged Port or Madeira are great partners with a pipe. Both are strong enough to hold their own with any tobacco I've smoked. Still, you have to experiment, a sweet drink and a sweet tobacco is a combination that doesn't work for me.
Hope this helps you in your search.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Sounds like a good tawny port is what you seek. If you plan to drink with dinner, something that sweet probably wouldn't pair well at all. In that case, hit up your local wine merchant and they should have some recommendations to point you in the right direction.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If I was to suggest a Port it would be one of the Graham's. The 40 year old is over the top and expensive. The 30 year old is nicely priced and very enjoyable. Both are very dependable year after year. And neither is too sweet to me.
Rubino is a Marsala. Marsala is, in simple terms, an Italian Port. Marsala is graded by sweetness. The "sweet" grade being a bit too sweet for my taste. I prefer the "seeco," or least sweet. "Semisecco" is the middle rating.
Marsala is a nice change of pace. If you've had "chicken marsala" and liked it, try it in the glass.
My own personal opinion is to stay away from American wanna be's. Again, this is personal taste.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
"Layer Cake"primativo, is a Zinfandel that is not overly sweet but is almost like drinking melted jam. It will run ya about $15 in California . A word of warning, Zinfandel can have a high alcohol content and may cause pregnancy. :wink:

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
PLEASE..Stop with the Mad Dog talk.I got so sick on that stuff years ago I thought I would have to get better for 3 days before I could die..OUCH..My head still hurts.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Most eisweins are white, very expensive and IMO too sweet to be a good accompaniment for the pipe. Any quality port works for me. On the less expensive side, Taylor's 20 year-old Tawny is great and virtually any ruby port from the 'crusted' varieties (less expensive) to the exquisite vintage ports from 1994, 1977 or 1970 (the latter two being $$$).

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'm going to put my vote in for Port. All of the top Port houses make very high quality wines, Grahams, Noval, Tasylor-Fladgate, Warres, Dow's. In that sense, similar to Champagne, and I mean Champagne, not Sparkling Wine. For red Ports, the best values are LBV (Late Bottled Vintage) Ports, which are just that, vintage Ports bottled after 4 years in barrel versus 2 years for typical vintage Ports, U.S. $20-$30 a bottle. Grahams Six Grapes is a wonderful, rich non-vintage wine. Remember of course, Port is a fortified wine, 40 proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.