PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Recently I bought a "new" Peterson System 317 (the new in quotes because what I actually received looked to be a well beat display model).
Having recently bought some Captain Black White as well and absolutely loving it (as tried in one of my other pipes), I figured that'll be what I use to break in this "new" pipe (those quotes again!).
It's only my 2nd smoke in the pipe, but oh man is it ever NASTY! It smoked hot and bitter (attributes that are complete opposites to what Captain Black White baccy offers) both times. It's as if some feral cat took a shit right in the bowl before I took it outside to smoke. I don't know whether to atribute that to the crimson red coating in the bowl, or maybe there was still some leftover gunk in the stem (I had to fish out clumps of gunk from the stem when I got it).
Now I have to decide if I want to pull out the Isopropyl and clear out that coating, or just work through it until it hopefully breaks-in...Whatever the case, BLECH!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It could be the dip staining that Peterson has stated they are phasing out as of a few years ago. I've never experienced it myself and I have about nine or ten Petes. They all had the carbon lined bowls and only gave the weird new bowl taste towards the end of the bowl when breaking in.
I have heard some guys answer was to very carefully take the bowl back to bare briar and start over from there.
Sorry to hear about the bad experience. I hope all works out in the end.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
If it's never been smoked, then it may be due to the old dip staining Peterson did (and may still do on some pipes).
But if it was *that* bad on your second smoke, maybe you didn't thoroughly clean the system? I don't own a System pipe, but I hear they do require some Q-Tip work otherwise there will be quite a lot of moisture left behind (which would make it pretty nasty on the next smoke).
Then even after cleaning you should probably give it some days to dry out.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have also heard from several posters that the break-in time for a Pete is considerable. Hang-in there!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm suspicious the pipe didn't look new. I guess you are convinced that it hadn't been smoked when you received it.

I think you will be able to work through the problem, though I think I'd start with a complete cleaning. In your place,

I would not do business with that retailer again. It may be that the pipe was and is fundamentally sound, but it wasn't

delivered in good smokeable shape. I have five or so Petersons all bought in the last three years, none systems pipes.

They were all easy to break-in except for the Kapet author, which wasn't bad but took a while, and is now great. But

it wasn't repulsive as this pipe seemed to be. Sorry for the bad experience. A number of Peterson smokers on Forums

rave about their systems pipes. They require a little special attention, but the Forums group seems to think it's entirely

worth it.

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
Looks like Cat Shit, Smells Like Cat Shit, tastes like Cat Shit, Smokes like Cat Shit; Good thing we don't step in it... Yeah, now lets go eat. hahahaha :twisted:

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I'm a big Peterson fan, but I think I'd be sending that pipe back to wherever it came from! :(

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Whenever I get a new pipe in, especially if there are signs of stain in the bowl or shank, the pipe gets a thorough scrub down with isopropanol and cleaners, paper towels, Qtips, and/or nylon brush. Down to bare blond briar wood. I want nothing between my leaf and the bare blond briar wood. Certain companies are better than others in this regard. No need to suffer a bad smoke in any pipe, when a bit of cleaning will get you back to God's wood.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I never did the cleaning on my 317 that the knowledgeable folks here recommend. Now, I wish I had known, because it took between 50-100 bowls before it really tasted good and well broken in. I just powered through it, and did it in about 2 weeks, no exaggeration. The taste got better and better, but at least the first dozen were not very enjoyable, and I didn't ream the pipe until it was nearly sealed off with cake and I could barely get a 5 minute smoke for fear it would taste like crap again. Fortunately, it didn't and I now ream the cake down to just barely a thin layer and ream again when it is thicker than a nickel, which is about every 3 weeks. It's going to take a very long time to break in if you don't smoke much. Maybe you can pay someone to break it in for you. I broke mine in with Virginia's. Maybe a big pouch of burley would get you there faster.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think the guys are correct with the dip-stain issue.
Maybe a big pouch of burley would get you there faster.

A lot of guys swear by the idea of using a codger burley, such as Carter Hall, to break in a pipe. I haven't used that method, but it might be worth a try.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Thanks for the replies folks.
If it's going to take as long as bryanf says it took his to break-in, then forget that! I'm cleaning that shite coating out!
I keep hearing about using Carter Hall for break-in as well, since all the pipes I currently own are new and still in their break-in period, all the more reason to pick some up!
...After all the hassle and effort this 317 has put me through, it better smoke like every puff was a punch in the face of pure bliss!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I tend to buy estate pipes, for that very reason. When purchased from sellers with a good rep, you can usually get an excellent piece without the hassle of breaking them in. That being said, I have a new Neerup which is excellent right out of the box. I have been harassed for the practice, but every pipe I get will receive a good cleaning out before I put tobacco in it, to make sure no errant bugs, leftover stain, or obstructions remain in the airway.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I freakin' HATE breaking in new pipes. This is the biggest reason I very rarely buy a new pipe, and why I don't really understand why guys enjoy new pipes so much! I have a new one coming in today (wife bought me), and I know breaking it in is going to suck, but it is my first pipe with NO bowl coating and hopefully it doesn't take as long. I'll let you guys know. It's not a system pipe, so I think it's going to take a long time since I will have to rest it in between smokes, most likely.
All I can promise you is that properly and well broken in, my 317 is the best tasting pipe I have ever smoked or owned. My other 7 or 8 pipes mostly just sit now, because they are all second rate in flavor and smoking enjoyment to my 317.
Hang in there, clean the crap out of it, but you will still need to break it in to season the briar and build a hard cake. Until that happens, it will smoke hot and sharp. It won't mellow until well broken in. I've had that experience with all my pipes, but the 317 took the longest to break in, and it seems others have about the same experience. My other Peterson pipe didn't take as long, but it was a very old model, probably before they dip-stained. Worth it? Yes! Hopefully cleaning it out really good will help.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Kashmir +1
  • "...if there are signs of stain in the bowl or shank, the pipe gets a thorough scrub down

with isopropanol and cleaners, paper towels, Qtips, and/or nylon brush."

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
shawn622, you're absolutely right...Petes are NOT cheap, but I ordered mine from a UK site for a remarkably cheap price ($61 shipped, should've known it was too good to be true) and then when I complained about the condition the pipe was in on receiving it, they knocked off another 33%. So instead of dealing with the hassle of having to return the pipe to another country, I'll try and give it a chance.
...And I'm glad I did! I decided I wasn't going to deal with that cat-shit flavored coating and after thoroughly cleaning as much of that vile, nasty crimson stuff as I could using isopropyl 91% and letting it dry overnight, I lit it up again today and had a MUCH improved experience.
The nasty assed taste of that coating was still there, but it's now in the background behind mixed tastes of the now exposed briar and the Captain Black! There might be hope yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.