PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I went to my local B&M today to pick up some Nightcap to try. I've been dying to try it but don't want to place a huge order and then wait. They were all out. So, I glanced around and noticed Peterson's University Flake which I've also heard awesome things about. I got home and Holy Cow! People weren't lying! This stuff is GREAT!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I'm always amazed when this happens to me too!
Not sure why I think that everyone that reviews something as "amazing" is a stone cold liar lol?
That stuff is still on my "must try" list. Glad to hear it sings for you.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Great to hear, it's been on my list for a few weeks now. Hope to try some of that and some escudo too.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just cracked my second tin of University flake after smoking my first one in a few weeks. I find it to be a very unique tasting flake that has some nice flavoring( plum) that is not overpowering. It is a very high quality tobacco that is really well made. If has made my rotation and I am in the process of adding some to my cellar.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
University Flake is one of my all time favourite blends. I always have an open tin at hand and one in reserve in case there's a delay in getting more. Try smoking the flakes in different ways to see how the flavour subtlety change. Rub them out, cut into cubes or roll and stuff, they all make a slight difference.
Enjoy

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
UF has been a consistent favorite of mine for several years now...absolutely love it. And no, it is definitely not an English blend...it is VA & Burley.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
No one has to worry about me cleaning out University Flake, like Roth said, Peterson is great about keeping their retailers stocked up. I never see it out of stock anywhere. It is interesting how some companies like Peterson are able to keep up with demand while others are clueless.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I've been wanting to try it as well. I might add it to my next order. What I want to try more than anything is Three Nuns. Too bad it's not available in the states.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
durham270, The original Three Nuns with Perique was discontinued years ago. The current version being sold overseas is nothing like the original and not worth chasing. Be very careful if you see tins of Three Nuns on ebay, a lot of it is the newer version with out the perique being sold as the original which is a total rip off.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
cigrmaster thanks for the heads up. I had been reading about the original being discontinued. I'm wondering who makes a blend which would come close to the original Three Nuns? I was watching a video on Youtube by DubinTheDam and Three Nuns seems to be way up on his list of favorites if not number one. That's what sparked my interest in trying it.

May 31, 2012
Troy, Thanks God for your tastes, otherwise this original Erinmore Flake would not be what IO am enjoying now.
:)

I'm glad you're enjoying it. My tastes are still in development, one day I may actually like that stuff?!?!? A month and a half ago I strongly disliked Latakia but lately I've come around to it and its been giving me intense pleasure, a complete 180 from nausea to joy! Strange how it goes. I think I'll try the "new" Erinmore just to see how it is, that old stuff gave a strong impression, a very distinct experience, something I won't forget.
That old Erinmore taught me the lesson of how it's possible to enjoy a tobacco but not to like it, I mean how can that be? I guess it comes down to quality tobacco, the leaf was very fine indeed, it was the odd topping that didn't click at least at that specific time, but the experience of smoking it was a positive one.
Same with UF, it's also a fine leaf, but the blueberry was just too much for me, too much of a "sweet high note" that kind of detracted from the burley, but again, that was based on one specific tin at one specific time, I may try it again in the future and have different results.
This is why I love pipe-smoking so much.

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.