PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I saw one of Jose's pipes on another site and was really impressed at his blast work. It looks just like Cooke or Rousch but at a much lower price point. The guy I know who has one says it smokes great. I was just perusing pipes to smoke as his newsletter just got emailed to me and I saw this pipe that I just had to have. It is a classic Billiard with a nice Olivewood shank extension, and he calls this blast a Dragons Scales. It is a large group 5 but only weighs in at 44 grams, perfect for clenching.
He says he uses "5 processes of sandblasting using different grains of sand and different pressures and can take up to 15 hours depending on size of pipe".

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
What's with the missing chunk along the bottom of the shank? Is that part of the design, or a soft area that blew out?

Dec 24, 2012
Great blast. Your fingers may bleed. Congrats. You really don't deserve it. Curious to know how it's drill and how the button is.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I think Maxim brought in 3 in the initial allotment. That was my favorite but the "missing chunk" George mentioned kinda scared me off. I love a green stain too. I'm sure the chunk is nothing to be concerned by. Do let us know how it smokes.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I'd love to know how it looks/feels in person. His blasts are very deep, but for some reason the appearance of his is a bit odd to me. I've been watching him on Facebook for a few months and his blast is very consistent.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Good looking pipe. I really like the way he used the olive wood to create the contrast.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks guys. I think the missing chunk could be just the picture, or maybe it is done on purpose. I will report on that plus how it smokes. The guy who recommended it loves his and says it is made as well as any pipe he owns.
peck, I have the white gloves to protect my delicate hands, I appreciate your concern.

May 31, 2012
16.jpg

His blastwork is amazing.
I like it!
This report is very positive about the smoking qualities,

http://www.fumeursdepipe.net/testrubio.htm

(use google translate)
Given that he started making pipes in 2012,

I think he has gotten up to speed very quickly,

and will continue to rise!
Congrats on the cool pipe!

:puffy:
PS

Do your white gloves look like this?

31WR0v%2BxENL._SL110_.jpg

mickey%20mouse.gif

tunes63.gif

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I finally got the Rubio in and man it is a fine pipe. The color is not grey, it is green similar to Talberts Goblins, I really like it. The engineering is top notch, the stem work is awesome, very comfortable, nice and flat like a Rad stem.. The button is just right for clenching.
I filled it with one of my favorites Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug as I know what is supposed to taste like. I opened aa 4 year old tin. The pipe is performing beautifully. I lit it about 15 minutes ago and still puffing with no relight. It is smoking dry as a bone and very cool.
Thr indentation in the pics is a little dip in the blast but it is very minor and looks much smaller then the pics. It is directly under the pipe and not on the sides like in the picture. The stem comes off right before the very cool shank application, so is kind of like a military mount.
I would highly recommend this pipe once I get all the ones I want. Normally I would not talk about the price but I feel I have to. All for a very attractive price of 365.00. Pretty much a third of a Cooke.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jesse, thanks. It does look like Von Erck. I forgot about him. He makes so many crazy shapes I don't really look at his work that often. He is a talented guy, I wish he made more classic shapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.