PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Today I rec'd my Cavicchi from SmokingPipes.com... Previous post: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/10-off-at-smokingpipescomi-couldnt-resist-this
However, color me disappointed when I discovered the stem was so tight, that I feared cracking it when trying to remove. For me this was a deal breaker, so after a bit of time thinking it over, I decided to box it up and return it.
So of course what did I do? I went back to SmokingPipes to see what came in today, and I spied this beauty:
ferndown-600x294.jpg

Having heard high praise on this forum about Ferndown (equal to or better than Dunhills), I decided to get it while the getting was good. I have to say, if there's any pipe that defines what I like and who I am, this would be it.
I've become incredibly spoiled by my Dunhill, and so I've been looking for a pipe that will deliver the same qualities. I hope this one will be the ticket.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks a lot guys, appreciate the comments. I am really looking forward to smoking this pipe.
I like the Ferndown's Barks best. And a Ferndown has to have some silverwork, right? I like your natural (Antique Bark?) better than my Bark with a darker stain.
Wow - good eye Rothnh - It does have a silver band. The markings on the pipe are:
FERDOWN

BARK

MADE BY

LES WOOD

HAND MADE IN

ENGLAND

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I purchased a James Upshall a few weeks ago. Great value, but the pipe is very heavy (around 70 grams, I forgot exactly at the moment)and I would guess about a group 5 to 6 in size. In addition, the stem is rather thick and round shaped compared to my now favorite fishtail style, or at least a thinner mouthpiece then the one shown in the pic. That is probably just the manufacture and that's that. I know I can the stem replaced, but since we are talking about Ferndown being an excellent value at the moment, how are their stems? Are they thick? Are they heavy pipes?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ew95icvcqdwokp/2013-02-26%2008.04.49.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7i45q9s8uob58yf/2013-02-26%2008.06.31.jpg
Thanks

Allan

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks a lot guys - much appreciated. I have to admit, looking forward to smoking this one.
@nobail - thanks for sharing that photo. That is one nice set of Ferndowns.
@allan
Are they thick? Are they heavy pipes?
I don't have it in hand, so I unfortunately I cannot say how thick it is, but the weight is listed as:
1.80 oz./51.03 g

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
51 grams sounds very reasonable for a pipe of that size.
The pipe is 6.28 inches, so I guess your right.
Fortunately for me I am not a clencher, so I don't worry about weight too much. Still, a lightweight pipe is a good sign of quality IMO.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great looking Ferndown six, that pipe is definitely you. I have two Ferndowns that are great smokers. Both of mine are group 6 and a little large for me now so I will be moving them out for something smaller, but they both have fairly comfortable vulcanite stems. Both are also very cool smoking pipes, and very well made.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Great looking Ferndown six, that pipe is definitely you. I have two Ferndowns that are great smokers. Both of mine are group 6 and a little large for me now so I will be moving them out for something smaller, but they both have fairly comfortable vulcanite stems. Both are also very cool smoking pipes, and very well made.
Thanks Harris - I am glad to hear it. I actually prefer group 6 pipes, so this one should be a good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.