Sutliff's Website Has a Cool Questionaire

(48 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by undecagon
  • Latest reply from lucky695
  1. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Want to know your perfect blend? At least closest to perfect that happens to also be offered by Sutliff?

Check out their site, it will prompt you to take their "Quiz" and give you your result!

http://www.sutliff-tobacco.com/home.html?s=y

It told me I'd like Blend No. 5, which I have had. It is pretty good, but definitely not my "perfect blend." Although, out of their tobaccos I have had, it is most up my alley, so I guess the test works!

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pretty cool! It told me that I'd like Molto Dolce.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. drrock

drrock

Login to Send PM

Their website picked Molto Dolce for me

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, and looking at all those steaks, deserts, and beer made me hungry!

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

lordape

Login to Send PM

They've got me on Molto Dolce too.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

wnghanglow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Blend five for me, quite shocking really seeing as I chose the pie over the steak but still, sounds like a blend I would like when I was in the mood for lat.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I told it I hate latakia and its still recommended me a lat blend...

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

wnghanglow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well maybe surliff knows you better than you know yourself or maybe it randomly generates a blend and the questions are just for fun.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. bullbriar

bullbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting...pegged me, right-on! I am also a Molto Dolche guy.

If you could kick the person in the pants most responsible for your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.

Theodore Roosevelt.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

#5 for me, and I like it a lot!

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. simnettpratt

simnettpratt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another Molto Dolce. But seriously, football or POLO??!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. tamer291

tamer291

Login to Send PM

It told me that I'd like Molto Dolce. Funny cause I have some on hand. Its good. But not my favorite.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. tamer291

tamer291

Login to Send PM

And I'm not sure who would pick Polo.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting idea, and it may help some of the newbies figure out some ideas, but I think it defaults to Molto Dulce when it gets confused, lol. Molto Dulce is way too sweet for my tastes, and that is what it assigned me, no matter how many times I chose "steak".

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yea, I played around with weird responses (and a lot of neutrals) and finally got Roma Vita.....but I think it likes to say either Molto Dulce or No. 5. Just bottleneck everybody into those two blends!

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. irwinmetro

irwinmetro

Login to Send PM

I was doing fine until Gin/Vodka or Scotch/Rum.

In my prefect world it would be Gin/Scotch vs. Rum/Vodka. The answer would be Gin/Scotch every time. Anyone else getting thirsty?

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And I'm not sure who would pick Polo.

Ginger Baker, who I believe smokes a pipe on occasion, breeds champion polo ponies.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. futureman

futureman

Login to Send PM

Tabac Noir?!

No thanks.

A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, "You are mad; you are not like us."

-St. Anthony the Great
    Posted 5 years ago #
  19. pylorns

pylorns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah must default to Molto Dulce, which I'd prob. like but at the same time how much detail is on the back end of that survey if almost everyone got it? Maybe they are just trying to push extra qty of Molto...

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. dermotfahy

dermotfahy

Login to Send PM

I told it I hate aromatics, and it recommended Montego Bay! A "Hot Buttered Rum" aromatic...

EDIT: Also, in the "You may also like" sidebar, it recommended "Rum & Maple" and "Irish Creme". Irish Creme after I told it I preferred black coffee to flavored coffee! All three blends are aromatics. Apparently Sutliff knows me better than I know myself...

I've had the opportunity to observe human beings for seven decades, and if you do it for that long and don't have a foul disposition, either you're simple or you haven't been paying attention.
    - David E. Petzal
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. simnettpratt

simnettpratt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, just tried to screw up the test and picked the opposite of what I like. It picked Ultra Mild from the Super Value series (contains real tobacco!). I knew a guy who couldn't tell football was better than polo wouldn't know the difference between cherry OTC with a warm can of Milwaukee's Best Light versus Escudo and a wee dram of single malt.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all of the good feedback. We are constantly refining the algorithms so I like to see live users reactions and real world results. One thing we will have to change is the HATE/LOVE Latakia / Aromatic function. That is essentially an override that, if your general answers lead to one suggestion (say a Latakia blend) and you HATE Latakia, it should override what it "wants" to suggest based on your other answers. If I had not been able to read the responses in this forum I may not have seen this problem, so again, thanks again for your feedback in helping us make a better website. Happy smoking

Paul Creasy
    President
    Sutliff Tobacco Company

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

, thanks again for your feedback in helping us make a better website. Happy smoking

Awesome! Not only are we getting to help you out with your site, but we got you to join the forum as well! Welcome aboard, and thanks for joining us. We'd all be happy to see you continue posting

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I have been "lurking" for years, but have always followed the forums very closely to see what consumers are thinking. From a manufacturers standpoint, it really is fantastic to have a site like this where someone who makes the product can interact with actual consumers of that product.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Welcome and glad to have you here. This forum is a great place and everyone appreciates your generosity and tobacco!

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It chose tobac noir for me, but I don't think so

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  27. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Blend No. 5 for me, which is right up my alley.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Blend No. 5 for me too. I haven't tried it, but it sounds about right. I made a note for my next TAD.
    I did enjoy their Westminster which is also an English blend, perhaps a little milder than No. 5.

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. futureman

futureman

Login to Send PM

The questionnaire is based on the assumption that qualities we like in certain foods and drinks are the same qualities we like in tobacco.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. skapunk1

skapunk1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It gave me Noir as well. Not sure why, I only like 2 or 3 arros. My main taste is VaPers and some english with Lat. Considering im a vegetarian though....i believe this questionnaire doesnt work for me

Warren
    Posted 5 years ago #
  31. skapunk1

skapunk1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It gave me Noir as well. Not sure why, I only like 2 or 3 arros. My main taste is VaPers and some english with Lat. Considering im a vegetarian though....i believe this questionnaire doesnt work for me

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. skapunk1

skapunk1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. skapunk1

skapunk1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. werdna

werdna

Login to Send PM

#5 for me.

I recently took a class in psychology at a local college. The prof had written a similar Q&A where each student chose character traits, and it spat out a profile. All the profiles came out the same, but in each case the student believed it. Funny what we want to believe.

And to all a good night.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  35. sfsteves

sfsteves

Well Aged

Login to Send PM

I too had a Latakia blend recommended, despite having told it I hated Latakia ... so much for that ...

SteveS
    de gustibus non est disputandum

"If there is no smoking in Heaven, I shall not go." - Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  36. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After hearing the ad so much on the Radio Show, I finally decided to take the questionnaire. . . For me, it was a fail from the start. I was "neutral" on everything but two items, and it recommended Blend #5.

Now, I might like Blend #5. But I think the survey is flawed from the get-go. The very first question -- rather than the last -- should be about how long you've smoked a pipe. And if you're a veteran, then I think every question/choice should be based on tobaccos and smoking habits, not food/drink/sports(!). (And the choices are so arbitrary: apple pie or steak? Well, am I having a meal or dessert?)

I feel like questions related to tobaccos and smoking habits would be far more helpful, despite "Mark from Ohio's" praise of the survey's results, especially for long-time pipesmokers. Beginners might fit the food/drink/sport mold much better. But for experienced smokers, I'd think it would be better to ask:

1. Do you prefer doing something else while smoking your pipe or do you like to focus on the smoke? (The idea being: Do you like something you can simply enjoy or do you want something complex that rewards careful attention?)
    2. How often a day do you smoke a pipe? (This could help define what might be an "all-day smoke"; could also lead to blends that are higher/lower in nicotine)
    3. Do you enjoy latakia?
    4. How often do you smoke aromatic blends?
    5. Do you tend to smoke fast or slow? (This could lead to different cuts.)
    6. Do you tend to smoke indoors or outdoors? (This could lead to blends that are more or less aromatic; could also lead to different cuts, flakes, etc. that can stand a little breeze without burning hot)
    7. What is your current favorite tobacco? (For the market information and to help double-check the site's recommendation. After all, if someone's favorite is Blue Note, then the site better not come back with a latakia blend!)

Of course, if the site defaults to only recommending Molto Dulce or Blend #5, then something's very wrong. There are 36 Sutliff-branded blends on the site. Each one could potentially be someone's "perfect" blend and, as such, should have a chance to come up at the end of the survey.

Just my .02.

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

#5 for me...I've smoked this blend.Though I liked it I found it to be just a bit heavy.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 5 years ago #
  38. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also got No. 5....I guess a tin won't hurt to try.

Jason
    Posted 5 years ago #
  39. bluesmk

bluesmk

Login to Send PM

rmbittner,
    Just took the survey and I totally agree. It recommended "Rome" for me??? Don't know where that assesment came from, and I may like "CD" after I told it I don't like Latakia!?
    Dan

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It recommended something called Fox and Hound for me, with alternates Golden Age and Kentucky Planter. The first two I would hate because they contain Perique and I can't stand the stuff even in small quantities. The latter sounds interesting I'll have to consider it. But the name is kind of offputting..."Kentucky Planter" makes me think of horse manure Idk why.

Many of their questions I had to answer "neutral" when in fact my real response would have been "neither". Steak or chocolate cake...I'm a vegetarian, and I hate chocolate. Choices of beer, choices of liquor...I don't drink alcohol because even a little bit makes me sick. Football or Polo...not a sports fan at all. Plain or vanilla yogurt...yogurt is gross, period, and flavored yogurt is like perfume on a pig.

Posted 5 years ago #
  41. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

shutterbugg:

Exactly! As another poster commented, the whole survey is ill-conceived, assuming that one's choices in other parts of life have any relevance at all for one's tobacco preferences.

I mean, in real life I have a raging sweet tooth. But I don't want tobacco that tastes like dessert. I much prefer unflavored, natural blends. And even though I prefer salmon and pork to steak, my tobacco preferences are quite "steaky": heavier latakia and Balkan blends. And I don't have a clue what it means if my sports preferences are football, baseball, international soccer, and women's golf and tennis. Unless they have a blend called "Eclectic."

BTW, I want to say that I've enjoyed 2 of the 3 Sutliff tobaccos I've tried (Man's Best Friend and Great Outdoors). So please don't take my criticism about the survey to be any kind of a dig at the company's products. I'm commenting purely on the marketing approach. It's flawed. And it certainly doesn't live up to the promise suggested in the really good Radio Show ad.

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy both of those blends also rmbittner. It recommended Molto Dulce for me. I've heard good things about it. I'll probably add a tin next TAD; probably the end goal anyhow.

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 5 years ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a raging sweet tooth. But I don't want tobacco that tastes like dessert.

Bob that's a really good point. I like aromatics (provided the casing is to my taste and not overdone) but if I've just had a sweet dessert I won't reach for an aro. Likewise if I skip dessert I'm more likely to be in the mood for an aro. The survey is a marketing gimmick. Fun but could very well backfire. Sometimes better to let customers make their own bad choices than to make bad choices for them.

Posted 5 years ago #
  44. sallow

sallow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Its funny, yesterday while riding my polo pony I was eating apple pie, drinking scotch and smoking Blend No. 5. Uncanny.

Posted 5 years ago #
  45. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Its funny, yesterday while riding my polo pony I was eating apple pie, drinking scotch and smoking Blend No. 5. Uncanny."

Darn it, this is why this Forum needs a "Like" button!

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  46. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It came up with Blend 5 for me which is about right.

Posted 5 years ago #
  47. frank13

Frankenstein

Login to Send PM

Ditto. Blend 5. Sounds a lot like my usual "Crown Achievement," by Lane, plus the spiciness of the perique.

Posted 4 years ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Blend#5 I have 2 tins from the tobacco of the month club, time to crack one!

I think it nailed it by the description.

Posted 4 years ago #
  49. lucky695

lucky695

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I figured with all the other responses I would get either Molto Dolce or #5. I got Berkshire. Never heard of it.

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis
    Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   elpfeife, ben88, redglow, supdog, trubka2, jaytex969, jcdarin, winton, alaskanpiper