PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Based on jiminks work with this line I bought a 100 gram tin of CD this afternoon. This blend is based on the old Country Doctor which was endorsed by the actor, Jean Hersholt, who played Dr. Christian in movies made in the 1930's and 40's.

I smoked the original back in the day so this was a way overdue visit. The new CD is a very different cut form the original which ws cube cut. There are some pretty big pieces of leaf that I assume are burley. The tin note, to my nose, does not disclose a lot of latakia or perique but they are condiments in this blend. I do get a fruit or fig sense from the tin and in the smoke but not overpwering at all. I seem to recal that Country Doctor had more of a latakia presence but it's beem so long that I can't really remember.

I did smoke this in my Gabrieli double stack Dublin and then in a GBD pot. Jim noted in his review that he felt that a wider bowl did more justice to the mixture and I agree. The wider bowl of the pot allowed for more taste than the narrower taller Dublin.

FYI, below is a picture of the original Country Doctor.

There is nothing spectacular here but it is one of those blends you can smoke while otherwise occupied and still find satisfying. It's a nice change of pace from my usual heavy lat blends and I can see myself going to it several times a week. Like all of the Sutliff blends it is very affordable at about $11.00 for a 100 gram tin.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm glad my advice on CD blend worked out for you, Papipeguy. I enjoy smoking it along with MBF. Good tobaccos at a really good price. I do wonder why the big piece of burley instead of a closer or cube cut, but since I smoke a lot of flake tobaccos, I don't find it much of a problem.
You did a really good review, buddy!
PS. I, too, was anxious to try MBF based on what Rothhn had been saying about it. He was right!

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Finally a review of CD that does start out with "I never smoked the original Country Doctor". Good review.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks buddy! Since Papipeguy brought it up, here's the link to the Sutliff reviews I have done so far: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-sutliff-private-stock-reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.