Sutliff's Carl McAllister Retires Today.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Carl McAllister, who started working at the Sutliff Tobacco Company in 1977, and became the chief blender and head of Research and Development in 2000, is retiring today. I don’t have an exact count of how many blends Carl created, and knowing Carl, he never counted them either. But I’m figuring the number is easily over two hundred. Carl’s creations include Molto Dulce and the entire Sutliff Private Stock line, a great many bulk blends like Voodoo Queen, Count Pulaski, Sambuca, etc., over forty Match blend recreations (one of the most difficult tasks a blender can undertake), not to mention tweaking many existing blends, and creating many for numerous brick and mortars.
Though Carl is known for creating many aromatics, he is also known for creating many popular English blends like Blend #5, and Luxury Balkan Blend 957, among others. His friend Russ Ouellette calls him “The King of the Aros” with respect and affection. I’m writing this post because I have gotten to know Carl pretty well over the last couple years, and consider him a friend. Carl’s very laid back and humble, never having been one to hoot his own horn, so I thought I would do it for him on his last day of work. He’s changed the way many people smoke by creating a multitude of blends in every know genre of pipe smoking, and I thought he deserved recognition for his body of work and diligent commitment to his craft, not just on this day, but for the permanent record of the gentle art of our pipe smoking hobby.
Good luck to you, Carl. Thanks for your hard work and dedication to the pipe smoking world. We’ll see you down the road sometime, my friend.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Carl and I spoke this morning and I'm sad that we won't be able to work on new projects together, but no one in our industry deserves time to enjoy life more than him. Carl's one of my best friends and also one of my favorite people in the business. I'm sure we all wish him nothing but the best. I asked him when we spoke if we could collaborate one more time on a blend and he agreed, so when we've had a chance to work out the details, we'll introduce the new blend as a tribute to Carl as part of the Hearth & Home brand.
Russ

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Happy retirement Mr. McAllister and thank you for your contributions to the world of pipe smoking. Thank you Jim for bringing this to our attention.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
What a great tribute, Russ. Am looking forward to the day when this blend comes out. Jim, thanks for letting us know of this important event in the pipe-smoking world. Carl, if you read this, congratulations on your well deserved retirement, and I hope you have many, many years to enjoy it. Thanks for your contributions to our craft.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Hats off to Mr. McAllister. Blend #5 is my favorite tobacco from Sutliff so far. I love that stuff. I can smoke it all day.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Hats off to You, Mr McAllsiter!!!
lifthat.gif

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That is a very nice send-off for Mr. McAllister, Jim. Based on the Sutliff blends I have smoked, I would say it is a send-off well deserved. I am looking forward to the H&H tribute blend.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm talking to Carl McAllister on the phone, and he tells me that he greatly appreciates all the kind words said about him on the forums when he retired.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
A massive talent, and what matters more in my book, a genuinely nice guy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm about to crack a tin of Balkan 957, so I'll do that in tribute to Carl's illustrious career, and look forward to the

new blend from Carl and Russ as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.