PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I've seen questions about the suitability of these tins for long term aging. I opened the only duch tin in my cellar the other day and thought I would share my observations.
The blend is Sunrise Smoke. Light English with a topping, Rum apparently. This particular tin was won in the NASPC Swap, either 2008 or 2009. It came home with me and has sat ever since. I decided to open a lighter English for the morning commute. I didn't really have a lot of faith in this tin style, construction but it was free so what the heck.
The tin kept this blend in absolutely perfect smoking condition for either 7 1/2 or 8 1/2 years. No problem. The tobacco blend isn't half bad. Only two bowls smoked so far. It does have a rather acrid tin note from the alcohol but it smokes pretty well. Bottom line: These tins, in my experience hold up well for aging to the point I aged it.
Mike S.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
No. This is a rather oversized 50 gram tin. The pull top is sort of an aluminium material and the tin sides are a cardboard kind of reinforced material.
Mike S

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Roger. I thought it was the other style. I forgot about the sutliff tins having that cardboard tin style.
In curious how the paint top from companjes like HU Tobaccos and such hold up. The only thing I can compare is a 50 year old tin of WO Larsen that held up for about 40 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.