PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
"Royal Yacht" proves so distinctive that people generally love it or hate it because the 'Yacht has a unique flavor and format that serves as a genre of its own. The recipe behind "Royal Yacht" remains a secret, but the general formula is crushed empire Virginias, perhaps doused in honey and vinegar, which are mixed with some Burley and pressed into cakes, then separated and soaked in a "secret sauce" which resembles a mixture of cognac and fruit juices that convey some of the sweet-sour spiciness of Perique without having Perique in the blend. In this way, "Royal Yacht" is like a big brother to "Elizabethan Mixture," which does contain Perique, and fits well within the Dunhill product line as well as appealing to those who like a stouter blend in the English style.
By rumor the Dunhill blends are disappearing, possibly within a year, which makes this a good time to investigate alternatives. Sadly, the Sutliff "Royal Yatch" match does not resemble the original except (partially) in the topping, but the good news is that it is perfectly enjoyable on its own. The match blend is a single-cut (long strip) flake made of bright Virginias that have a hay, wheat, honey and slight citrus flavor as the best lighter preparations of that cultivar tend to do. Some say the match resembles "Sutliff Tobacco Company - Virginia Slices #507-C," and this seems accurate to me from the small sample of the latter purchased from a local tobacco hut, but a special sauce has been added, although it falls short of the 'Yacht variety and is sweeter, with something like vanilla in it and not quite the exact combination of fruit flavors. As a result, there is no Perique-like flavor (and no Perique) to this blend, only a lovely grainy flavor but not overly sweet like the "breakfast cereal" Virginias, which mellows into a slightly more acidic but caramelized Virginia honey-and-grain taste. It burns easily and leaves behind a mottled grey ash.
For those looking for a replacement for the disappearing Dunhill blend, the Sutliff match is not a good substitute for "Royal Yacht," but if you like bright Virginia flakes it might be worth purchasing, although it is close enough to the #507-C Virginia Slices that I would just buy those, as they are considerably less expensive.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/11056#review93689
It was good to experience this and definitively check it off the list; for those who like Royal Yacht, this blend is not a good substitute. It is however a tasty Virginia flake for those seeking a mild smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I suspect most matches may be good in themselves, or not, but not so much matches. It's difficult enough to get the same blend to maintain its original flavor, with changes in crops, seasons, sources, and blenders. Less matches and more "inspired by."

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
I have it from a reliable tobacconist source that Royal Yacht and Peter Stokkebye Proper English are identical. Side by side, they look the same, feel the same, smell the same and smoke the same.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not the most discerning taster on Forums to put it mildly, but I have smoked both Royal Yacht and Proper English fairly recently. Maybe it's all psychology, but I don't get the "prune" aromatic in Proper English, nor any aromatic component, and I get more complexity in Proper English, though Royal Yacht is very pleasant. The two blends have things in common, but to me they don't taste at all identical. Anyone else?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't get the similarity at all. Could your tobacconist have been referring to another tobacco?

From tobacco reviews:
Stokkebye's Proper English:

d Type English

Contents Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia

Flavoring None

Cut Ribbon
Royal Yacht:

Dunhill

Manufactured By Scandinavian Tobacco Group

Blend Type Virginia Based

Contents Virginia

Flavoring Plum

Cut Ribbon

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I have it from a reliable tobacconist source that Royal Yacht and Peter Stokkebye Proper English are identical. Side by side, they look the same, feel the same, smell the same and smoke the same.

I wouldn't say your tobacconist is reliable. @death metal have you tried Brigham's Hudson's bay? That is a match for the Murray's produced RY, and pipestud the RY expert gives it thumbs up

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Hudson Bay isn't available anywhere... I'm a RY fan... it's the first tobacco I grab day or night - and I share the concern of it disappearing because nothing else seems to itch my craving like RY.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
He is probably reliable, but we all confuse names sometimes. He may mean the Dunhill London Mixture.
@death metal have you tried Brigham's Hudson's bay? That is a match for the Murray's produced RY, and pipestud the RY expert gives it thumbs up
No, I have not, and it appears to be out of print (OOP). What a bummer. It sounds delicious however. I will hunt some down via the usual channels.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Hudson Bay is one of my favorites. Alas, it has been discontinued along with the otherBrigham gem, Klondike Gold. I have never tried Royal Yacht, but I doubt Hudson Bay carries the same nicotine punch.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I doubt Hudson Bay carries the same nicotine punch.
That is a shame. One of the great things about Royal Yacht is leaving behind time and space, and drifting to the outer universe where one day is like an age of humankind, about halfway through a bowl.
Let he who has not begun a bowl of Royal Yacht in a small midwestern city and then come to, days later, in Las Vegas dressed as Genghis Khan, cast the first stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.