PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I traded with a forum member for a tin of this blend : Sutliff Westminster. The only other two Sutliff blends I've tried were French Quarter ( yuck ) and Blend No 5 ( yum ). Westminster is yet another English blend that is to my liking.
Getting past the metal seal ( I always get a kick out of it, this is the only baccy with "idiot instructions" impressed in the lid ) I got a welcoming aroma of Turkish and some Latakia, along with a somewhat faint manure-type scent. There are black, brown, reddish and yellow strands of tobacco fluffed in the tin. It's a bit moist so I let it air out about a half hour.
Lighting is a breeze. The Turkish shows up nice and sour, complementing the sweetness of the Virginias. Latakia is sort of sitting back and spicing up with that campfire smokiness ever so often. This is a very creamy yet pungent smoke. Very mellow in the Nic department but not airy. Finishes nicely to gray ashes even though it tends to burn a bit hot. I'll venture out and say it's like a light version of FMOTT.
Makes a nice companion to a morning cup of Joe, and it really shines with a bottle of Alaskan White under the midnight sun ( even though it's been overcast the last few days ).

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
RcStan: I didn't care much for French Quarter either, but I really enjoy Westminster. Dunno if you saw my review of it, but we pretty much agree on its merits. Blend #5 is another fav, too. In fact, Sutliff's owner, Paul Creasy, said Blend #5 was his favorite pipe tobacco. But anyone who likes English blends ought to try Westminster.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've tried No5 and Westminster, like No5 a little better, but can't say either of them impressed me enough to repurchase. A bit too light on the Lat and thin on taste for me. I realize everyone's taste is different, but Bosphorous Cruise continues to delight mine. I think they should rename it Thames Cruise :)

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I opened a tin on Tuesday and although not bad, I'm probably won't finish the tin and would be happy to trade samples with anyone that wants to try this blend out. Just PA me.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
briarfriar : Alaskan White
Thread resurrection !!!! Perhaps I ought to get a tin and revisit Sutliff Westminster ( not to be confused with the GLP blend of the same name ). IIRC it wasn't a bad blend for the money.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Sutliff Westminster ( not to be confused with the GLP blend of the same name ).
I still can't believe that Sutliff stole the name of a blend. In the craft beer world this happens once in a while, most often by accident, and either the name changes or a lawsuit results. There was some wondering at first if maybe, perhaps, Sutliff did this by accident. But after a year ... just seems in poor taste to me, so much so that I won't be giving Sutliff any of my gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.