PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
Just got a tin of this in a trade with kyletheaviator and decided to try some out. Before I start the review, you guys should remember one thing: I once was a very heavy drinker, but gave up hard liquor some months before I joined this forum.I still enjoy a good beer ever now and then, but I can't drink hard liquor anymore. Knowing that, you will understand why I originally felt the way I did about this blend. Upon opening the tin, this blend smells like my Great Uncle Bruce positively reeks of whiskey. Having a strong hate for the stuff anymore, my stomach turned a little when I smelled it, simply because I have not drank the stuff in so long and the thought of it makes me a little queasy. I told myself, "this is a mistake," but I set out a bowl to dry anyway. After about 20 minutes or so, I was good to go. Smoked it in a cob, the first light tasted of...you guessed it, whiskey. Not liking the taste, I put it down and let my stomach settle. After about 10 minutes, I tried to light it again, and I don't know if the flavoring burnt off or if the DGT effect did something to the blend, but it actually tasted really nice. It started to taste like a good rum flavored aromatic, fairly sweet in taste, almost like 7 Seas Royal but not quite as rich. The retrohale brings out a nice sweetness and some caramel type qualities. As I smoked down to mid bowl, the smoke got sweeter, more caramel like, and almost a toffee type flavor. The end of the bowl brought some burnt sugar flavors and kept the caramel quality. The blend burned down to a very fine ash and required only a few relights and actually burned very dry, although I was smoking it in a cob. Bottom line: this blend smells like whiskey smells straight out of the bottle, but tastes like whiskey tastes when it is used in proper cooking applications. It burns great, has absolutely zero bite whatsoever (and I abused this blend pretty bad), and is a nice aro once the flavor of the initial light wears off. If you like whiskey type blends, you will like this, and even if you like a good aromatic, you should stick with it, because it drastically changes after the first quarter of a bowl and becomes a very smooth and tasty smoke. Definitely a blend that surprised me, to say the least.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
This is my 2nd favorite that I have tried from them. 1st being Molte Dolce. However this is a very good smoke in my opinion, thanks for the review.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
Yeah I forgot to warn you... If you open it in closed quarters you may get a bit tipsy! :rofl:
I left my tin open for about 2 days and after that it mellowed out significantly, just some food for though. Glad you enjoyed I though!

I haven't made it to the post office yet but I'm excited for the Mac Baren roll cake

Jul 15, 2011
Yeah I forgot to warn you... If you open it in closed quarters you may get a bit tipsy
Boy thats an understatement. Yea, despite the smell it was a really good smoke. I was surprised at the lack of tongue bite and the flavor was pretty good. I would imagine that if I smoked this in a briar it would ghost the absolute shit out of the wood, so I'll probably stick to smoking it in my clays or my cobs. I'm looking forward to trying the other Sutliff blends as well. Thanks for the trade!

Status
Not open for further replies.