PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
When I first received my free tin of Sutliff No.5 it was unsolicited as I did not order a sample from them. I opened the tin and I did NOT like the tin note. I usually like Lat blends, Balkans, Orientals etc. so I dropped it in my baccy stash and didn't mess with it again.
I got some out today, because I was looking for something differet and decided to see how it would play out in my Meer. I smelled the tin again and it was much less pungent than I had originally noted. I went ahead and packed a full bowl and had a 2 hour smoke while I packed up some stuff for the tamper swap.
It turned out to be a nice, steady-smoking English with the Latakia up front and some smooth Burley and Virginia bringing up the rear. Not overloaded with character, like a Magnum Opus or my Balkan Bestie, Black House, but it was pleasant, required no relights and smoked to the bottom as I drank my coffee on an unusually cool and sunny Texas day.
The room note was decent and probably not a wife repellent, if she's used to you smoking VA/Burleys, because those were very present in the nose, as opposed to the Lat-strong taste.
Not a go-to, but give it a chance to rest in the tin for a month or so and you should enjoy a cool, pleasant smoke as you go about your day-to-day.
After responding with horror from the tin note, originally, I figured I owed them a follow-up where I could list some positives. It's a good exit from the normal routine if you are craving an English Lat/VA/Burley blend and worth keeping in the wings. I will be transferring this tin to a jar to see what a little more aging can do.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Glad you're enjoying this, I got a tin last year for christmas and like you, was not thrilled. Will be revisiting soon now...

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Just recieved a tin of this yesterday.Came from Dream Works.I requested a sample from Altadis(?)Is this from them,or are the baccy gods just smilin down on me? :?:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Dream Castle is Altadis/Sutliff distro. That's where I got mine. Put it in a jar for a couple o months and you'll have a good ol' smoke. I'm a guy who likes his lat blends. and I think the VA and Burley help this one in the mellowness department. I said some nasty stuff earlier about my initial exposure to the open tin, but now that it has aged, I think it and I have come around.

Status
Not open for further replies.