Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Tags:   

Sutliff Private Stock: Man's Best Friend - Review

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Last week, as someone posted here about doing it, I Emailed Altadis to let them know I'd made two requests, 4-6 months apart, yet I'd never received a free promotion "non-aromatic" tin of Sutliff pipe tobacco. I received a reply the very next day, saying Altadis had had problems with the Pipe Auction promotions and they were going to do them on their own Sutliff website from now on. With an apology, I was also informed I would receive "complimentary samples" via UPS in a few days.

My box from Altadis arrived yesterday -- four 1.5 oz. tins of assorted non-aro Sutliff blends. Of course, I had to open one! I am a Sutliff virgin LOL. I chose the Man's Best Friend (MBF).

MBF is supposed to be Altadis' match for Barking Dog, a House of Windsor blend, which, like HoW itself, is long gone -- so long gone, in fact, that I really don't remember Barking Dog much at all, thus I can't compare the two.

Popping the tin of MBF, there's a potpourri of colors -- black, yellow, a few shades of brown -- and a potpourri of scents as well -- latakia, burley, rum, spices. The tin note is so pungent, I first thought this MBF was actually an aromatic, and while quite pretty in appearance, this MBF was mistakenly included in the non-aromatic samples I had specifically requested.

The MBF blend is course cut and this tin is just slightly moist, so I let a bowlful dry about 10-15 minutes. It packed easily in my Group 4 Pipa Croci dublin using my preferred drop-feed method, and the charring light/true light was non-problematic.

The rum is there, upfront in the first few puffs, but it mellows out, though never totally disappears, as the latakia's smokiness comes in play. This is an "American English" blend, similar to Walnut, but with more complexity. While certainly a mild blend, MBF delivers a very tasty smoking experience. The nuttiness of the white burely is there, and also helps cool the smoke. The bright virginias -- definitely playing a condiment role here -- adding some lemony goodness.

With all the stuff going on here, MBF, IMO, verges on being a crossover blend, but I say that because of the rum, which, as noted, is prevalent in this blend. Otherwise, it's a mild English. It smokes cool, stays lit with few if any relights, smooth, zero bite, and the very pleasant flavors hang in there throughout the smoke, burning completely to a light gray ash with no dottle.

I like this MBF a lot. I'm on my third bowl of this stuff since I popped this tin yesterday afternoon. I'm thinking this would be a very good choice for someone looking to expand their horizons from aromatic blends who wants to try a mild, flavorful American English. An added plus is price: The 1.5 ounce tins cost just over $6 and the 8 ounce cans of MBF are about $16 on line.

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. madmick

madmick

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the MBF review rothnh! I have been looking at MBF for a little while now and have yet to buy any. I have just now got the "huevos" to order tobaccos online based off of peoples reviews. Finding a good tobacco in my location is very hard to come by.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

No problem Mick! I am surprised at how good MBF actually is. A tasty mild English with rum.

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hia, Roth:

Well written review, pal.

You should do this more often.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Roth! I smoke very few aromatics, but I really enjoy Man's Best Friend. . . maybe because it's not a "true" aromatic.

Bob

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. jeffboyrd

jeffboyrd

Login to Send PM

Good stuff, Roth. Thanks for steadily encouraging my PAD.

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good read, thanks. I have been curious about this stuff.

"You have to be a man first before you're a gentleman. "

John Wayne
    Posted 6 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I smoke very few aromatics, but I really enjoy Man's Best Friend. . . maybe because it's not a "true" aromatic.

Yep, that's my take too, Bob. In fact, I'm thinking that Man's Best Friend is not an aromatic and anyone who smokes this looking for an aromatic will be disappointed. While MBF takes a different path, it is more like some of the Frog Mortons -- a mild flavorful English with a twist.

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. oldredbeard

oldredbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great review Roth. I got an 8 once tub of this a few months ago along with several others. I opened it and had a bowl, then forgot about it until yesterday. Just started my third bowl of it today, and absolutely love it. Like you said it is course cut, almost impossible to pack to tight. Lights and burns well, and the rum while there is certainly not overpowering. A really good mild English.

I'm not complaining.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. jonesee75

Steve

Login to Send PM

Altadis was pretty generous. Seeing I am only about an hour and a half away from Richmond, VA a few of us are going to try and set up a tour.

Master Chief
    USN
    Posted 6 years ago #
  11. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roth,saw your review and realized I had a tin of MBF somewhere.Popped it,smoked it,liked it!Went to CI and bought 2 8oz tubs for $31 and a box of Don Diegos.Thanks for the review...

"the weez"...
    Posted 6 years ago #
  12. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of the regulars at the B&M has a half tin of Barking Dog behind the smoking bar. I may do a side by side comparison today. MBF sounds intriguing.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  13. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

From rothnh's review I got curious and sought this blend at the local B&M. One of the regulars has an old tin of Barking Dog behind the smoking bar so I decided to do a side-by-side test of both blends.
    As you can see from the photos, the Barking Dog has some age to it. I used to by this in foil packages so I'm guessing that the tin here is over 30 years old. You'll see that visually there is no resemblence between the two. I believe that the age of the Barking Dog is acountable for that. Also, the cut is different with the Barking Dog being a classic cube cut. Frankly, these OTC's were not meant to be aged or cellared and that's exactly the case here. The BD's taste qualities were "washed out" over the years. I do remember smoking it in the early 1980's and enjoying it.
    I'd say that MBF is a nice facsimile and a rather fine blend on it's own. I thank roth for the tip and I'm smoking some MBF as I type this. I'd say this could be an all day smoke for many. Pleasurable taste and uncomplicated.

photo BarkingDog1.jpg

photo BarkingDog2.jpg

Posted 6 years ago #
  14. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Always a great review Roth. Many reviews don't take the time to talk about cross over blends. To me this is important to the new smokers who more than likely are smoking just aromatics. Letting them know that something can be a mild jump into the many types of tobacco, breaks open a new world of enjoyment for them. I'm guilty, writing reviews on a blend directed at experienced smokers and giving them a run down, forgetting that the newer smokers are who we should be writing for.

Craig

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 6 years ago #
  15. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been meaning to try the Man's Best Friend. I've actually had a tin of it a while back, but ended up sending it off via a trade with another pipe smoker from the YouTube pipe community. I've heard it referred to as a cross over type blend before as well. Nice review Rothnh.

Posted 6 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have enjoyed almost all of the Sutliff that I have tried however I didn't care for French quarter too much.

Posted 6 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

mikegun

Login to Send PM

This sounds like the Sutliff crossover i smoke, Lat and rum, best cross ive tried out of about 30 blends...

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome Mike...I'm your new stalker.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have some jars of this stuff from 2013. I got the 8 oz. I was smoking it by a campfire across from my dad. He could smell the rum if that tells you anything about it.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   philobeddoe, cortezattic, ericusrex, pipejon