PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

axxkicker

Lurker
Sep 25, 2010
I am very much a fan of the English blends- Sherlocks' Choice was my first bowl full of tobacco- in my (then) brand-new Aldo-Velani. And I am a huge fan of the Tinder Box tobacco- in fact that's mostly what I've enjoyed up until now.
Man's Best Friend from Sutliff Private Stock, has notes incredibly similar to Sherlocks' Choice. Similar (although lighter) coloring and texture, along with similar moisture content when new. The tin note is lighter for Man's Best, and smells more airy than the very heavy scent which comes from the Sherlock jar. Overall though, I find them quite similar.
Sherlocks seems to be a blend, according to the Tinder Box website, of Virginia, Latakia and Turkish, which smokes medium and cool. And if you're quick about smoking it, that "medium" flavored, cool smoking blend will bite incredibly hard. Taking your time is very much the preferred method to keep from attaining this nearly-fatal tongue bite.
Mans' Best Friend has the same tendencies, with slightly less tongue bite.
The room (or in my case, balcony) note is quite smoky (latakia is pretty good at this, in my experience)and delicious. It smells to me like pipe tobacco should- strong, pleasant and lingering. That goes for both types.
I don't want to think of what it does to my breath. According to my girlfriend, it's detectable even after nuclear-hot buffalo wings. Which goes better with pipe smoking much better than you might think.
It required fewer relights than I typically require for my typical mixtures, and the resulting ash was incredibly light and lacking in dottle- everything burned. Although it was in my meerschaum, and that typically burns more fully than my briars.
Enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.